Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a ride request to go to an apartment. When I arrive it shows me that it is a scheduled ride for 9:45 - 9:55. It is 9:46 so I message them to let them know i am in front of the building (there are 30 buildings in this complex and the GPS is often off). She messages back that she will need a couple minutes. I say "no problem" because I can live with 2-3 minutes. But then she messages back that she "uses the scheduled rides to give her some extra leeway". (she is thinking that she has until 9:55 to come out and is starting to get snooty with me). I consider messaging back to tell her, no, she misunderstood how it works but thought better of it as you never know how they will react. I also consider whether I should just cancel the ride then and there and leave to avoid having to deal with her but decide to let it go.

It finally tells me I can now cancel and get paid. I decide to wait an extra three minutes just to be a nice guy (I really am not a jerk honest). Finally I am over 8 minutes in now. It's 9:54 so I cancel.

She was going to wait to 9:55 to "show me" and make me wait for being "impatient". I wonder how that worked out for her? I drove away about $4.50 richer. Sorry lady but I ain't your butler and your ride was going to be a minimum fare. I am sure she was ont he phone with Uber. Hopefully they told her how it works but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I get a ride request to go to an apartment. When I arrive it shows me that it is a scheduled ride for 9:45 - 9:55. It is 9:46 so I message them to let them know i am in front of the building (there are 30 buildings in this complex and the GPS is often off). She messages back that she will need a couple minutes. I say "no problem" because I can live with 2-3 minutes. But then she messages back that she "uses the scheduled rides to give her some extra leeway". (she is thinking that she has until 9:55 to come out and is starting to get snooty with me). I consider messaging back to tell her, no, she misunderstood how it works but thought better of it as you never know how they will react. I also consider whether I should just cancel the ride then and there and leave to avoid having to deal with her but decide to let it go.

It finally tells me I can now cancel and get paid. I decide to wait an extra three minutes just to be a nice guy (I really am not a jerk honest). Finally I am over 8 minutes in now. It's 9:54 so I cancel.

She was going to wait to 9:55 to "show me" and make me wait for being "impatient". I wonder how that worked out for her? I drove away about $4.50 richer. Sorry lady but I ain't your butler and your ride was going to be a minimum fare. I am sure she was ont he phone with Uber. Hopefully they told her how it works but I doubt it.
Amazing, how entitled pax are. I always cancel after the minimum 3 minutes wait time The exception would have been if the fare was on destination mode or it was a 2.0 X surge fare.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention, not being a rookie, I also turned off Uber and turned on Lyft as I drove away so that I did not get her again. Given the shortage of drivers i am sure she ended up late whereever she was going or just had to walk. She probably had to be there by 10:00am and was just cutting it close.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
now this is a topic I can relate to. For uber I have been getting calls in cue as soon as i start a ride. so in some cases customers who scheduled the ride have ample notice to be TTTC. but,in many cases now due to limited drivers the schedualed ride timer is all out of whack. I could arrive 10 minutes late or 10/15 minutes early. You would think due to the limited amount of cars available that they would be all wigged out about getting canceled on and make sure they watch for my arrival . nope,lol a lot of them expect you to just wait. If I feel they are abusing this service and lets face it 22 cents a minute is an abuse all on it's own,I will cancel for no mask and move on. as soon as i do this i get another call. I have warned passangers about this but to no avail. Another example of UBER expecting drivers to just take it up the a**. another thing,I dont notify people when I arrive,it is their responsibility. I dont want to hear go left go right go backwards go upside down. I go to the pin,PERIOD. If they call me and leave nasty messages or start to threaten me via text ,I do not respond. Im not taking an entitled lazy a** with no respect for what I do,who is likely to give me a poor rating for their indiiference and rudeness.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
I have used Uber on the passenger side, and never could imagine making my driver wait 5 minutes.

I cancel immediately. Unless I am at a college campus or the main club and it is a female name.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Interesting. Uber sent me (as a pax) I could do schedule rides and have 15 minutes from scheduled time to have 'my' driver wait. Really? Like anybody would wait THAT long? Not even sure I'd do that; 15 minutes is a long time to be waiting.

If only Uber could tap into what the drivers think. :roflmao:

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Interesting. Uber sent me (as a pax) I could do schedule rides and have 15 minutes from scheduled time to have 'my' driver wait. Really? Like anybody would wait THAT long? Not even sure I'd do that; 15 minutes is a long time to be waiting.

- On taxi rates (market rates), the waiting can be profitable at $0.50 / minute. In that case I would gladly wait for the pax. :geek: :geek: :geek:

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
She was going to wait to 9:55 to "show me" and make me wait for being "impatient".
I doubt that it was that deep man females are always running late for everything just continue to charge them their deserved shuffle learning fees.

·
Premium Member
12,870 Posts

If you didn't message she would of been out asap but she probably thought you were hurrying her by messaging. The rider get notified by Uber when you are about to arrive. Always leave when you can get that cancellation fee and Uber doesn't charge them when they report you for leaving the AI just refunds them the fee. Uber doesn't take the fee off you either they just eat it.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Your first mistake was to message the passenger, never call or message to say your have arrived, the app does that and all you do is open yourself up to this kind of BS. Arrive, wait your 5 minutes and leave. They want to call you then deal with it, means they are a little more considerate or have some issue that came up but never wait past the 5 minutes. I’ve never had a good experience when I called the rider, they get all stupid for some reason. You know they already don’t care about your time if they aren’t at the curb when you pull up, calling or messaging them just enables them to waste more of your time. Incoming calls are fine, but never start calling them, for any reason except if there’s a huge issue in you getting there, ie major accident just happened or the road was just closed, other then that I never call a rider

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I doubt that it was that deep man females are always running late for everything just continue to charge them their deserved shuffle learning fees.
She did say a couple minutes. I gave her about six minutes after that. I may have misread the tone of her last text but it felt like it was a way to tell me "I have until 9:55, quit being so impatient."

Your first mistake was to message the passenger, never call or message to say your have arrived, the app does that and all you do is open yourself up to this kind of BS. Arrive, wait your 5 minutes and leave. They want to call you then deal with it, means they are a little more considerate or have some issue that came up but never wait past the 5 minutes. I've never had a good experience when I called the rider, they get all stupid for some reason. You know they already don't care about your time if they aren't at the curb when you pull up, calling or messaging them just enables them to waste more of your time. Incoming calls are fine, but never start calling them, for any reason except if there's a huge issue in you getting there, ie major accident just happened or the road was just closed, other then that I never call a rider
Well I usually don't but at this apartment complex the GPS is often off so I do message at that complex if they aren't there in order to try to save my own time. It gets annoying waiting there.

It definitely let me cancel and gave me a fee before 9:55. If it would have made me wait until 10a I would have been seriously annoyed to the point where I probably would have just canceled and went home.

In this case she asked for a couple minutes. I gave her at least six after that.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
She did say a couple minutes. I gave her about six minutes after that. I may have misread the tone of her last text but it felt like it was a way to tell me "I have until 9:55, quit being so impatient."

Well I usually don't but at this apartment complex the GPS is often off so I do message at that complex if they aren't there in order to try to save my own time. It gets annoying waiting there.

It definitely let me cancel and gave me a fee before 9:55. If it would have made me wait until 10a I would have been seriously annoyed to the point where I probably would have just canceled and went home.

In this case she asked for a couple minutes. I gave her at least six after that.
I understand why but you need to teach them that your time is valuable, the app notifies them you have arrived, if it's wrong then they should call you and say they are too dumb to figure out the app, I get that. If you reach out to them first then it's all bad, they start wasting your time like this. Gotta sit there for the five minutes where they sent you, if they don't call then they will learn by getting charged a cancel fee.

When I first started I tried calling and got nothing but bad experiences from it. I want to do every ride I accept too, but I learned that's where a majority of my issue rides were coming from. They don't respect you if you call them, they will keep treating you bad, I don't get why it's this way but it is. Only time I would call like is said earlier is big traffic issues because then they can understand why you aren't getting to them, and big events so I can tell them where I am, mostly cause that ride is going to be $urge and I'm going to get it done cause it's worth the headache. An apartment pickup without surge I'm assuming? No calls from me, I go to where the app tells me, the rider don't want to fix it then cancel fee and I'm out

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
It definitely let me cancel and gave me a fee before 9:55
seems in my market with scheduled rides it is 15 minutes. Cancel before that, no cheese for you.......

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
On scheduled rides it is typical that the required wait time (until you're eligible for a cancellation fee) is the usual 5 minutes plus an additional portion of the total "scheduled" wait time, normally much more than 5 minutes. You do not automatically qualify for the cancelation fee at the normal 5 minute mark. The timer SOMETIMES 'turns red' at the 5 minute mark on scheduled rides when you arrive early but not usually. I have watched the timer take 10 minutes to turn red. (From a safe hidey hole as I'm not about to EVER let a rider use me as their personal assistant.)

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
Its not the passengers fault. They scheduled the ride and Uber gave you a 10 minute window to arrive. Nor is it your fault
That you got there early is on Uber

having said that, I got one recently where I arrived 20 min before the 10 min window started . What i did was to turn on the Lyft app. If a lyft ride came in I planned to do that ride and return for the Uber passenger. If I couldnt get back in time for the Uber Passenger I would just cancel

As it turned out I got a really long Lyft ride that paid me $212 It was late so I drove home empty, I dont like all those dead miles but It was my last ride of a pretty good week and I still grossed 91 cents per total mile.(which is pretty good for me. I dont know if the Uber passenger missed their flight or not

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On scheduled rides it is typical that the required wait time (until you're eligible for a cancellation fee) is the usual 5 minutes plus an additional portion of the total "scheduled" wait time, normally much more than 5 minutes. You do not automatically qualify for the cancelation fee at the normal 5 minute mark. The timer SOMETIMES 'turns red' at the 5 minute mark on scheduled rides when you arrive early but not usually. I have watched the timer take 10 minutes to turn red. (From a safe hidey hole as I'm not about to EVER let a rider use me as their personal assistant.)
It was pretty curious actually. I saw it count down from about two or three minutes then it turned read and said something like "this ride is eligible for cancellation". Might it depend on when you arrive? In this case I arrived one minute after the start of the window. I'm thinking if someone arrived significantly before the start of the window it might not offer cancellation after five minutes?

As far as I can tell the window just means that the driver will arrive within that time frame. It doesn't mean that the customer can come out at any time between then. If the driver arrives before that time window I am thinking maybe Uber doesn't count that time for the cancellation period until it crosses the start of the window?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts