Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did a $9 ride, they lady bragging about how cheap it is to use Uber. She said this trip would have cost her $20 if she took a taxi and then she would have to tip the Taxi driver too. Duh, tip them and nothing to us that drive for nothing! 3 star for this lady ! Thanks Travis !

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
One parked his car for free in the abandoned former project in Chicago and I took him a mile to his destination. When he saw the Uber fare he said "Wow, that's what I usually TIP a cab driver!" and jumped out. He was from my home state, I really wanted to go back to that project and pay somebody $10 to put his car up on milk crates.

·
24,254 Posts
It is widely known that it is customary to tip a cab driver. Uber makes sure that it is widely known, among its users, at least, that it is not customary to tip an UberX driver.

While there are some drivers who do not worry about the consequences of letting a customer know that a tip would be nice, there are many more who will not do so for fear of de-activation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's happened to me like 3 times this week alone. My fav was a group of 20 something yuppies I picked up near Hoboken. The girl in front was actually halfway decent and asked the others how much the fare was so she can calculate a tip for me as we were nearing the drop off, that's when the ******bag guy she was with literally screamed at her to put her money away and that that's the best part of uber, that he doesn't need a tip, it's uber not a taxi! Uber means Nooo tipping!!! Then they all had a chuckle, and I died a little more inside....fml

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
i just did a $9 ride, they lady bragging about how cheap it is to use Uber. She said this trip would have cost her $20 if she took a taxi and then she would have to tip the Taxi driver too. Duh, tip them and nothing to us that drive for nothing! 3 star for this lady ! Thanks Travis !
Two too many stars. That's a 1* ride. Not only didn't she tip you, she was disrespectful enough to throw it in your face.

Had you driven her in a stinky cab instead of your well kept personal automobile she not only would've paid you more for the ride she would've tipped you as well. She gave you no respect or appreciation for your offerings.

Pretty messed up

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's happened to me like 3 times this week alone. My fav was a group of 20 something yuppies I picked up near Hoboken. The girl in front was actually halfway decent and asked the others how much the fare was so she can calculate a tip for me as we were nearing the drop off, that's when the ******bag guy she was with literally screamed at her to put her money away and that that's the best part of uber, that he doesn't need a tip, it's uber not a taxi! Uber means Nooo tipping!!! Then they all had a chuckle, and I died a little more inside....fml
You should've educated them my friend... or at least banged them with a low rating. Surely that was not a 5, or 4, or 3 star experience for you.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
THose are 1 stars from me. I will give 3 or 4 for just not tipping on any trip under $10 I want other drivers to start seeing low ratings on these people so they know who to avoid. I got a call from a 3 star pax the other day, that's the lowest I've seen, needless to say I didn't pick him up.

Question for the room. Who tips more often men or women?

So far for me it's men. I think I only had one woman tip me so far and another woman made her boyfriend tip me if that counts, whereas I've had lots of guys tip.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Keep your focus on Travis, the pax is pretty much just being what you should expect. By Travis' own measure, you are simply disposable. I would also suggest you think about the way you r relate to the price differential between your 1x rate and a taxi's. At $20 it only sounds like a lot compared to your shit ass rate of $9.

Travis understands contrast and plays off it at every chance. Don't bite if you don't need to.

Whatever the taxi rates are, I doubt anyone is getting rich making such a trip. That said, a taxi company is much more closely tied to the costs of the business. Some taxi companies are overburdened with regulatory fees I'd suggest (ex: PA PUC has high fees taxi companies pay).

I digress......

Taxi rates are what they are, Uber uses explicit language that tipping is included. It is just a symptom of an unbalanced relationship with "The Creator" God's View Kalanick.

Why worry about tips when your base rate is so horrible to begin with? Surges are for neurotics.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Uber cars out number cabs by a good margin in most localities. I would bet there are just as many questionable cars percentage wise in uber's fleet as the taxi business. From what I read on this uber's fleet is getting worse and cabs are getting better. You guys haven't been doing this long enough, you'll see.
On average as a cab driver what is your net on a saturday night fpr an 8-10 hour shift?

·
24,254 Posts
Had you driven her in a stinky cab instead of your well kept personal automobile
I have posted it more than once. The short version is come back in three years. I was too generous/optimistic. I hear more stories everyday about dirty, smelly UberXhoopties and their no-bath-taking nasty drivers. These stories come from all types of passengers, more than a few of whom are regular Uber users.

Stinky cab, well kept personal automobile? All cabs are not the way some of you try to portray them. My cab is far nicer than most uber cars I have seen thank you.
.....as is mine. Under normal circumstances, I have little tolerance, as it is, for stereotyping/profiling, but, when it involves someone on the short end of a double standard, I have even less tolerance for it. People will scream, cry, and point fingers at cab drivers who profile/stereotype, but it is allright for the finger-pointer to profile/stereotype.

I second that emotion! That's just a stereotype--I keep my cab consistently clean, inside and out.
I do, as well, and have done so, always. One traditional interpretation of the ordinances here is that you must go to the car wash at least once per week. That is the minimum, for me. I keep my receipt for the last car wash in the cab, just in case the Harassmen-ER-uh-HACK Inspector tries to cite me for a "dirty cab". The ordinances specifically do require that the cab be "swept and dusted" every day, which I do. Further, there is a stated requirement that the seats and insides of the door be washed with a "cleaning solution" once per week. I have a bottle of Spray Nine and a roll of paper towels in the car just for that. Further, if I do notice something between weekly washings, I take out the Spray Nine and paper towels and clean it. Finally, I do have a spray can of Glade, Lysol or something similar to deal with people who bring pungent carryout, have just put out a cigaret or who have never heard of Ivory or Dial soap. After the aforementioned disembark, I spray it in the cab. Unlike Uber drivers, cab drivers do not have the luxury of refusing to carry people. Refusal to haul can bring fines, suspensions and revocations.

If many people have the same experience across the country, it is not a stereotype.
You would be familiar, perhaps, with the saw: "When I am right no one remembers, when I am wrong, no one forgets" Apply a corollary of that, here.

Question for the room. Who tips more often men or women?

So far for me it's men. I think I only had one woman tip me so far and another woman made her boyfriend tip me
I can not answer that question for my cab passengers. There is no pattern to what groups tip or do not. I do not keep too much track of how much, other than as long as you give me something, I am allright with it. There are some exceptions, such as those who give me a whole fifty cents or tip only a dollar on a forty dollar fare, but other than that, as long as I get something, I am not unhappy.

UberX is a different story. All of my tips, save one or two, have come from black or Spanish speaking women who do not live here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should've educated them my friend... or at least banged them with a low rating. Surely that was not a 5, or 4, or 3 star experience for you.
Oh trust me they would have gotten negative stars if that was an option. I'm pretty sure I turned bright red with contained rage, and was about to explode with some "education" for them, but this happened pretty much just as we were pulling up to their location. They were still laughing about no tipping as they got out of my car and walked away...

1 - 20 of 126 Posts