Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving for 5 days now and I've received 3 tips. 2 in app, 1 cash. So far I have given all riders 5 stars. They are been nice, some have talked to me the whole ride, some keep to themselves. Some rides I honestly don't feel a need for a tip, but there 2 rides last night that got me thinking a little.

First ride, pax were a father and daughter (elder and middle aged). The father could barely walk and used a cane. I got out and held the door for both of them. Gave them a ride to a storage place about 1.5 away so they could pay their bill, waited for them for about 3 mins then brought them back. Personally I feel like if you are waiting for someone at the drop off like that, you should be tipped. I did not receive a tip

Second ride, pax were 2 college girls that I was bringing to get food, then returning them to their dorm. Total trip was about 12 miles. I waited for them to get food for about 5 minutes. They even requested me to drop them off at the corner because it was easier for them to walk into their dorm that way, which I obliged. No tip. Again, personally I feel like if you are waiting for someone at the drop off like that, you should be tipped.

So I got to thinking...Should I wait a few minutes to end the ride to see if they tip me and if they don't, give them a 4 star? Does anybody give 4 stars to non-tippers if they feel like they should've tipped?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do 4* for non tippers but not as a 100% firm rule. I feel it out. One thing I've learned is that I never end the ride until they are out of the car (unless it's the rare pax that like to tip while still in the vehicle and you have to end it - u can pick up on that easily though). As far as waiting a couple of minutes.. it isn't always possible bc you will hopefully have another ride lined up - and do the tips even show if you havent rated them yet? id think not

The ride isn't really over until they step out of the vehicle because they are still controlling your time.. also, sometimes when the pax is there i feel awkward with the rating system on display if i ended it, and pressured to just give 5* no matter what. And thirdly.. I like to look around in back to make sure they didn't leave any garbage or make a mess. I recently found a candy wrapper on the floor just after I had rated a pax and wish I could have taken back my rating.

I get what you mean about the waiting.. it's very rude of them not tipping and they have no idea how little we are making for that time. I have to figure out a way to approach this myself bc it has happened to me only a couple of times. I used the rider app a lot and would ask drivers to wait a couple minutes for ciggs or something at the store but I always tip well. I think next time I'll say something like, "I have no problem doing that but please keep in mind I only get pennies per minute extra for that", hoping they'll get the point. Or perhaps, "I can do that but it is outside of the uber price that was set before and appreciate any tips above what you would normally give". Thinking out loud here.. you bring up great points that I am dealing with myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do 4* for non tippers but not as a 100% firm rule. I feel it out. One thing I've learned is that I never end the ride until they are out of the car (unless it's the rare pax that like to tip while still in the vehicle and you have to end it - u can pick up on that easily though). As far as waiting a couple of minutes.. it isn't always possible bc you will hopefully have another ride lined up - and do the tips even show if you havent rated them yet? id think not

The ride isn't really over until they step out of the vehicle because they are still controlling your time.. also, sometimes when the pax is there i feel awkward with the rating system on display if i ended it, and pressured to just give 5* no matter what. And thirdly.. I like to look around in back to make sure they didn't leave any garbage or make a mess. I recently found a candy wrapper on the floor just after I had rated a pax and wish I could have taken back my rating.

I get what you mean about the waiting.. it's very rude of them not tipping and they have no idea how little we are making for that time. I have to figure out a way to approach this myself bc it has happened to me only a couple of times. I used the rider app a lot and would ask drivers to wait a couple minutes for ciggs or something at the store but I always tip well. I think next time I'll say something like, "I have no problem doing that but please keep in mind I only get pennies per minute extra for that", hoping they'll get the point. Or perhaps, "I can do that but it is outside of the uber price that was set before and appreciate any tips above what you would normally give". Thinking out loud here.. you bring up great points that I am dealing with myself.
So you have to end the ride before they can give a tip? I didn't know that. If that's the case, how do you know if they are going to tip you before giving them a 4 star? Or am I just not understanding what you are saying in the first part?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah you are understanding me.. but to be honest I don't know if I'm correct. maybe someone here can clarify. i thought the ride needs to be ended by the driver for the rating and tip option to pop up on the pax screen.

I never have any idea if they will tip me before I give them a 4*, unless it is cash. But, no matter how well we get along, almost noone tips so I just have to go by that. I do feel a little bad if someone tips after I 4*'d them but it is the only tool I have.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah you are understanding me.. but to be honest I don't know if I'm correct. maybe someone here can clarify. i thought the ride needs to be ended by the driver for the rating and tip option to pop up on the pax screen.

I never have any idea if they will tip me before I give them a 4*, unless it is cash. But, no matter how well we get along, almost noone tips so I just have to go by that. I do feel a little bad if someone tips after I 4*'d them but it is the only tool I have.
I know in the old app the PAX had the ability to rate and tip during the ride. Don't know if you can still do that in the new app.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I give 5 stars if we have enjoyable conversation, or if they tip. 4 stars for most. 1 star if they explicitly state that they are "going to give you a big tip in the app"... as they most certainly will not. First thing you are taught when learning to investigate people - when they volunteer extra unneeded detail, they are lying. I also give 3 stars for B.O. or eating/drinking in my car.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
The rider cannot rate or tip you until after you end the ride. Tips come along when and if they come along, you cant wait for them. Rate the driver and head for the next request.

After 2000+ Uber rides I don't know what drivers talk about when they say they downrate non-tippers, you can do that after the fact in Lyft but not in Uber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rider cannot rate or tip you until after you end the ride. Tips come along when and if they come along, you cant wait for them. Rate the driver and head for the next request.

After 2000+ Uber rides I don't know what drivers talk about when they say they downrate non-tippers, you can do that after the fact in Lyft but not in Uber.
Correct that's why i was confused. I like the way Lyft does it. It's almost like Uber doesn't care whether we get tipped or not.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Leaving 4 stars is highly unlikely to cause them to start tipping, they'll most likely have no clue why they were down rated. Plus there's no way of knowing they won't tip, pax frequently leave tips a few days later or longer. If they do leave a tip, and realize they were down rated anyway, they might stop tipping in future. Better to just rate pax based on their behavior IMO.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well.. a tip is expected but generally does not occur. We have to rate only based on what we know.. not based on future events.

Also, pax aren't going to see their rating and decide not to tip anymore.. that's nonsensical. Moreso the opposite. But in any way thinking about their thought process is pointless when they are likely stiffing us.

·
Registered
134 Posts
But we often get like 2 tips out of 20 rides. sometimes more...sure.. but why should I be rating every rider as top notch perfect while they are stiffing me, in order to hypothetically not upset a tipper in their future uberring.

When you're a tipper you are a tipper. It is a class of people above the others that have an appreciation of your time and the economics.

Describe a 5* experience in your mind. When you create an imaginary "perfect" rider, that includes a tip, right? Unless it was like a super surge. Just average ride.

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
But we often get like 2 tips out of 20 rides. sometimes more...sure.. but why should I be rating every rider as top notch perfect while they are stiffing me, in order to hypothetically not upset a tipper in their future uberring.

When you're a tipper you are a tipper. It is a class of people above the others that have an appreciation of your time and the economics.

Describe a 5* experience in your mind. When you create an imaginary "perfect" rider, that includes a tip, right? Unless it was like a super surge. Just average ride.
In Ubers' rating system 5 stars doesn't mean perfect. 5 stars is a pass, and anything 4 or below is a fail. I assume you don't pick up 4 star rated pax, so by giving anyone 4 stars, you are essentially saying you wouldn't take them again under the same circumstances. And yet you still work for Uber, even though you sometimes only get 2 tips in 20 rides. Which implies that you'd rather take non tippers, than sit idle.

I personally disagree with the concept of rating based on lack of tips. Even for those who subscribe to it though, there's currently no way of knowing, seeing that a large percentage of riders who tip, tip some time after the ride ends. So you either have to risk giving 5 stars to a non tipper, or risk giving 4 stars to a tipper. I'd rather risk giving 5 stars to a non tipper, than be an arsehole and give 4 stars to a tipper. I don't feel comfortable repaying peoples' kindness with a kick in the butt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In Ubers' rating system 5 stars doesn't mean perfect. 5 stars is a pass, and anything 4 or below is a fail. I assume you don't pick up 4 star rated pax, so by giving anyone 4 stars, you are essentially saying you wouldn't take them again under the same circumstances. And yet you still work for Uber, even though you sometimes only get 2 tips in 20 rides. Which implies that you'd rather take non tippers, than sit idle.

I personally disagree with the concept of rating based on lack of tips. Even for those who subscribe to it though, there's currently no way of knowing, seeing that a large percentage of riders who tip, tip some time after the ride ends. So you either have to risk giving 5 stars to a non tipper, or risk giving 4 stars to a tipper. I'd rather risk giving 5 stars to a non tipper, than be an arsehole and give 4 stars to a tipper. I don't feel comfortable repaying peoples' kindness with a kick in the butt.
There is an awful lot of assumption going on there. Uber gives us no guidelines on how to rate and actually does tell passengers that drivers expect courtesy and may rate them on all sort of actions and behavior.

I'm not sure where you get that in Uber's rider system 5 is a pass and 4 is a fail, bc riders suffer almost no repercussions to bad ratings and the ratings even reset after time if I understand correctly - unlike ours which cycles over the 500 rides..

Also, no I never even remotely stated that a 4* pax was a rider I'd never take again; simply that as a (logically assumed) non tipper, they are not a 5* pax.

Just like it takes me effort to clean my car, keep it aired out, prepare, be thoughtful, drive smoothly and safely, etc... ( The things that make a 5* driver. ) Tipping.. along with other things, is one of the variables of a 5* rider. Especially so in bad weather, when asked for stops, or any things going above and beyond.

They can earn their 5* or not. Doesn't mean I disliked my time with them. I may think less of them for not compensating others for their work, but that's simply me judging them as a human being and we all have flaws. I do REALLY HATE being told I'm getting tipped well and then lied to. That's just disgusting behavior

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
I personally don't pick up 4.00 star rated pax (as I suspect most drivers on here don't). Therefore if I'm rating 4 stars, I'm essentially saying that I wouldn't pick that person up again under the same circumstances. Since in fact, I would take them again, if their behavior was okay even if they didn't tip, then I shouldn't rate them 4 stars.

I've never heard of pax ratings resetting, In fact I've seen the same low rated pax pop up again with the same low rating.

Anyway, the whole discussion is moot, since we can no longer know if someone will tip or not. (In the past it was possible to change ratings after the fact, so a driver who wanted to, could wait and observe). So like I said above, you either have to risk giving 5 stars to a non tipper, or risk giving 4 stars to a tipper. I'd rather risk giving 5 stars to a non tipper, than be an arsehole and give 4 stars to a tipper. I don't feel comfortable repaying peoples' kindness with a kick in the butt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's not a moot point at all. If 95% of pax don't tip, than logic dictates rating a pax 4* for not giving a cash tip is essentially rating 4* for non tipping. Pax should be aware of themselves, their surroundings, and their interactions. They don't live in a bubble and are aware taxi service is a tipping service and many play dumb on it or or not. Their ignorance or rudeness is not my problem nor should I feel a need to coddle them or rate them higher than what they in all statistical probability, are.

·
Premium Member
12,198 Posts
Leaving 4 stars is highly unlikely to cause them to start tipping, they'll most likely have no clue why they were down rated. Plus there's no way of knowing they won't tip, pax frequently leave tips a few days later or longer. If they do leave a tip, and realize they were down rated anyway, they might stop tipping in future. Better to just rate pax based on their behavior IMO.
You're right. I give everyone five stars unless they're trouble. Tips happen without a pattern. I'm almost always surprised when I get tips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're right. I give everyone five stars unless they're trouble. Tips happen without a pattern. I'm almost always surprised when I get tips.
This is becoming more and more apparent the more rides I take. The other day, I brought to 2 frat guys to a local block party, on the way the one guy was excited I had gum and a phone charger, tipped me CASH $10 on a $4 ride. Then brought 2 chicks to the airport, loaded their bags for them, chatted with them on the way, about a 20 min/13 mile ride, no tip....Then last night, 1 guy tipped me $3 cash for a 2 minute ride when he was on the phone the whole time. And another guy tipped me $5 for stopping at the gas station on the way to his house. So tips really do seem to come/not come at random. I have continued to give a 5 star rating to everyone that doesn't piss me off lol

1 - 20 of 64 Posts