Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working select but kept checking pax app for X surge and nothing whatsoever all night. Is this because of all the boost incentives? Something doesn't make sense to have no surging on a Friday night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
School is still out wait in the most popular areas with all the bars and clubs be at this area logged off at 1:30 AM After 2 AM choose your surge of choice after 2 AM choose your surge of choice of 2.0 or more. Be careful you're around a bunch of drunk people

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I headed out of town before the guarantees came out. Did anybody see their guarantees increase after signing up?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was working select but kept checking pax app for X surge and nothing whatsoever all night. Is this because of all the boost incentives? Something doesn't make sense to have no surging on a Friday night.
I saw a surge near Joliet about midnight, but it was a small area with a light surge. I saw no surges in other suburbs or the city. My best guess is that Uber is testing to see if city pax will use Uber instead of Lyft if there's no surge (I assume Uber corporate is covering the earnings boost in the city) . Also, July 4th is a big weekend for brand new riders. Having no surge pricing could be quite nice for the newbies. I'm guessing surge and weekly earnings may come back in a week or two. ..but I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Remember....this "Earnings Boost" promo is just a fake name for surge...in spots that would be surging anyway. But what it does is get even more drivers into Wrigley and River North....who wouldn't be there for the old surge....but will show up now for an "Earnings Boost", lol. Especially since the hourly guarantee wasn't offered to them.

The only surge above the 1.5x "Earnings Boost" downtown tonight was at 12:30am around Soldier Field when Guns N' Roses let out....it reached 2.5-2.9 surge.

Is that normal for a Friday night all night in Chicago? Lol, Uber is really playing games with drivers now. They have basically set a cap (they choose) on surge for the busy district and eliminated surge for every other busy part of the city and suburbs...and drivers will flock to the Earnings Boost area out of desperation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1.4-1.5x is really pathetic. The most we'll see all weekend is 2x which is nonsense for one of the busiest weekends of the summer.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
It was extremely slow in town Chicago from 10:00pm till 1:00am,then there were surges but I was out of luck with drunks punching the wrong pick ups or Pool riders not there and not answering their phones.. It was my worst night since January! Thank God I have the hour guarantees...:)

·
Banned
141 Posts
There was a surge out around Ravinia when that event let out, and I did see one in Evanston around 11pm...
But the city was a crock of crap.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm shocked there was no surge. I was at the Guns N' Roses concert at Soldier Field last night, and when it let out at midnight, I saw HUNDREDS of people along my hour-long walk back to the parking lot on Michigan Ave/13th with their phones out, looking for rides. Then, I drove north down Michigan Ave, and saw even MORE looking for rides.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Didn't see the Ravinia surge like usual....

So if you are near downtown in "Earnings Boost" territory Uber is hiding information on surges in other areas.
Nice.

Like how if you are closer to Midway Uber hides Ohare pickup time pin and vice versa.

Shady to hide surge areas though.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I don't drive for uber I only do lyft but I did see surge up to 3.2 in mundaline and ravinia got to 2.3, also when gnr got out it was 3x +. If you all haven't noticed a lot of people are on vacation more then tourist coming in only busy sort of parts are where the clubs and bars are at otherwise it's dead out there. Also school is out summer is on more people are working.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I think everyone needs to calm down a bit, it's not the end of it if it's not surging. If you drive every week full time and doing it for your living, you would know some weekends are slow. It's slow not just because of the guarantees or fare boost, but the city is somewhat dead, a lot of people are out of town. It will probably get a little busy tomorrow and Monday.

Luckily for the guarantees we are making some money. Last night it wasn't that busy out except for the typical bar areas, but I didn't see too many uber/Lyft drivers than the usual. All I was getting were pool rides. I'm always running after surges but sometimes it's ok to slow down to gain some perspective. I'm not loving it but I'm saving on time, miles and gas and still making like I would on a typical Friday because of the guarantees.

Blessings to all

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its pretty funny how I used to live for the long rides. Without any real surge either, there is no point in working downtown. Now, I hope for a few short trips just to make the guarantee. Working more than you have to is inefficient because it wastes your gas and time while increasing fatigue. Such a strange business model...

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
It surged nicely between 11:45 and 1:00 am (maybe after, I went home). We've seen this come and go... July 4th weekend a lot of people leave town, so slower... except around concerts and fireworks... good time to take a break and wait for Cubs to come home... and let all new drivers and guarantees equilibriate... to the typical $15-$25/hr before expenses (depending on time of day)... it will pick up again end of August when students return and then slow in January and we'll have NO MORE SURGE rumors.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Its pretty funny how I used to live for the long rides. Without any real surge either, there is no point in working downtown. Now, I hope for a few short trips just to make the guarantee. Working more than you have to is inefficient because it wastes your gas and time while increasing fatigue. Such a strange business model...
Absolutely, it's dead, hardly people out for a Saturday, and I'm loving it that I'm saving miles and gas on my car, it's good for now. Will have to be back running around again I suppose once they are done with the guarantees.

Why not increase the rates and add the tips option, and all the surges will be reduced. Drivers and riders both will be happy. Uber's aim is all about taking over logistics, that's why it's more focused on trying to develop the algorithm of the app, so that it can be ready for the self driving car.

Last night I realized I was taken to an area when it was about to hit the surge. I have noticed one weekend that I was taken from one surge to another to be able to payoff the guarantees.

There is more smarts to this than we really understand, and just like any corporation we, the drivers are just a means to get to their ultimate goal. Any large company has a 5-10-15 year strategy, nothing is just short term thinking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts