Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had a couple and the mother in law, they were both bartenders and all the ride they were arguing how unfair was the way that they get pay due to the amount of tips they get per shift, once we got to their destination the guy ask me to drop the girl and the mom and give him a minute to say good bye and he will put a new address for me to take him home, I did, and as it was expected, no tip. Now for someone that depends and understands how important it is a tip in the service industry I thought it was really wrong. So today I was thinking, I had every week servers, restaurant managers, even other drivers as pax and no one tips, it is like if sociaty totally had accepted the fact that if you are an Uber driver you deserve no tip. Now I think that it is safe to say that in this days a very very large part of our population use Uber or Lyft at least sometimes right? and they are all ok with the no tipping policy, but then if I go to the restaurant or bar were they work I am expected to tip? NO ANYMORE! From today on I am no longer tipping, and if someone ask me I will tell them I am a Uber driver and the new trend in sociaty is not to tip people in the service industry.
As a matter fact we should all start a movement and stop tipping and see what happen with all this people so used to get they nice tip at the end of the day.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I take an extra star off bartenders who don't tip. 3 stars max for them.

In fact if i ever hear the word "tip" come out of any rider's mouth while on the trip and I don't get one...that's 1 star for you. Dead serious that pisses me off more than anything

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

In fact if i ever hear the word "tip" come out of any rider's mouth while on the trip and I don't get one...that's 1 star for you. Dead serious that pisses me off more than anything
Right? Well I am doing this for real,no one, car wash, restarurants, pizza delivery, no one is getting a tip from me until the day were I start getting tips from my pax, and I want to make sure they know why I am not tipping them. Once you mess up with someone's income they start listening.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I feel ya, had a car full of restaurant servers going bowling... no tip...

Difference is Uber tells (told?) people tips are included in the fare so people dont expect to, and i knew that when i signed up.

Id be really impressed if uber would just own up to the fact that theres no such thing as a tip in there fares. Better yet if they gave an anual gratuity bonus. But any sorta reimbursement would have to be court ordered. Uber only gives away free money for uberEATS and as incentives to the new ants.

Also its partly my fault for not having a sign that says tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Yesterday I had a couple and the mother in law, they were both bartenders and all the ride they were arguing how unfair was the way that they get pay due to the amount of tips they get per shift, once we got to their destination the guy ask me to drop the girl and the mom and give him a minute to say good bye and he will put a new address for me to take him home, I did, and as it was expected, no tip. Now for someone that depends and understands how important it is a tip in the service industry I thought it was really wrong. So today I was thinking, I had every week servers, restaurant managers, even other drivers as pax and no one tips, it is like if sociaty totally had accepted the fact that if you are an Uber driver you deserve no tip. Now I think that it is safe to say that in this days a very very large part of our population use Uber or Lyft at least sometimes right? and they are all ok with the no tipping policy, but then if I go to the restaurant or bar were they work I am expected to tip? NO ANYMORE! From today on I am no longer tipping, and if someone ask me I will tell them I am a Uber driver and the new trend in sociaty is not to tip people in the service industry.
As a matter fact we should all start a movement and stop tipping and see what happen with all these people so used to get they nice tip at the end of the day.
While I agree to a point, you got to realize that most of the people we pick up are usually not old enough to understand the taxi etiquette of years past. Most of the tips I get are from older folks but sometimes I get the younger crowd also. Sometimes the bartenders and servers have a lousy night and can't afford to tip, the way it works is they divide the money up between the busboys and servers and in the end it may not amount to much, so I understand that. Then you have those who think the tip is included in the fare, just like Uber has misled people to think. In the end, I'll be the better man and tip my server or bartender because their job is more physical and exhausting than ours which consists of just sitting on our arses and driving them a few miles away.

I have more of a problem with people going to the airport with luggage and not tipping than bar/restaurant people.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sometimes i set up multiple accounts on the google play and also the itunes store to comment on the fuber rider app "Don't forget to tip your uber driver" and sentences to this effect.

I'm sure it's influenced some tips somewhere.

Just imagine if we organized a couple dozen of us posting this multiple times a day for a month and flooded the comments with this. Pretty sure it would eventually have a big impact and word would spread.

Hell fuber pays paki's for their fake 5 star reviews on the app stores or else the driver app rating would be 1 star.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I agree to a point, you got to realize that most of the people we pick up are usually not old enough to understand the taxi etiquette of years past. Most of the tips I get are from older folks but sometimes I get the younger crowd also. Sometimes the bartenders and servers have a lousy night and can't afford to tip, the way it works is they divide the money up between the busboys and servers and in the end it may not amount to much, so I understand that. Then you have those who think the tip is included in the fare, just like Uber has misled people to think. In the end, I'll be the better man and tip my server or bartender because their job is more physical and exhausting than ours which consists of just sitting on our arses and driving them a few miles away.

I have more of a problem with people going to the airport with luggage and not tipping than bar/restaurant people.
I know that, I started working when I was really young and I was a busboy once then a server, I also worked as Valet parking, as doorman in a hotel and as a taxi driver, so I can tell you with confidence that I know what is to have a lousy night and now in Uber more than ever, but even if you have a lousy night do you tip your server? You do right? Yeah me too and that is what I mean, we all have lousy nights that is not an excuse, and regarding the " not knowing" that the tip is not included, well I had a sign with a box in my car for 8 months saying that tip was not included and appreciated and people would tell me nice sign, good for you and except a very very few the most would still no tip. I have worked all my life in the service industry and have always made a lot of tips for the way that I am with my clients, I have a good rating in Uber, clean car etc, so people just dont want to tip, and 1 tip every 10 rides doesn't count, for those that would say "I get a lot of tips" because I am sure someone would come up with that, getting tips is every single person that you give a ride give you a tip, like server get tip for each single table, carwashs for every car, etc, etc, etc

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Difference is Uber tells (told?) people tips are included in the fare so people dont expect to, and i knew that when i signed up.

Id be really impressed if uber would just own up to the fact that theres no such thing as a tip in there fares. Better yet if they gave an anual gratuity bonus. But any sorta reimbursement would have to be court ordered. Uber only gives away free money for uberEATS and as incentives to the new ants.

Also its partly my fault for not having a sign that says tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated
The sign would make very little diference, I mean it would help in some cases but still 98% of your clients would still not tip you.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I think the same way and I start to no tip anymore. I wanna c how they feel when they don't get tip. I had a pax today from LAX to 1.5 miles away and he just said I'm sorry for the short rid. MF u can at least give me some cash instead.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the same way and I start to no tip anymore. I wanna c how they feel when they don't get tip. I had a pax today from LAX to 1.5 miles away and he just said I'm sorry for the short rid. MF u can at least give me some cash instead.
Exactly!! Lets start being part of this new system were tips are no longer needed, if it is ok for them to do so, it is also ok for ass, we are all people after all and we all work offering a service. Welcome to the club buddy! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Please don't perpetuate the Uber propaganda! UBER says 'tips are not expected'. Oh really? THAT is a LIE! :mad:

TIPS ARE EXPECTED! :eek:

Also, the statements "Tips are not required" & "Tips are not necessary" <------------BOTH are part of Uber's PROPAGANDA.

These are statements made by Uber to confuse the pax. NO TIP is 'required or necessary'. :confused: But making the statement, in PRINT, makes it APPEAR that they are doing something WRONG if they tip their driver.

Please don't support the Uber Propaganda machine.

"TIPS are APPRECIATED" is the only statement that needs to be made!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I've had bartenders tip me because they know what it's like to provide a good service.

I've had waiters and waitresses that didn't give me anything even after talking about tips . 1 star.

·
Registered
617 Posts

I had a PAX recently ask me how the tipping thing works here in LA, she was an American living in Amsterdam, said Tipping was automatically added to their fares in Holland..

Anyway, she actually suggested having a sign that said "Tip's not included" which I told her I thought might be a little tacky and end up rubbing PAX the wrong way, forcing them to give you a lower rating if it made them feel awkward.

My questions are:

1) is it a tacky idea to have a sign in your vehicle saying Tips not included", and do you think it would have a negitive effect on ratings if so?

2) Where does Uber state that "Tip's are included in the fare"?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I remember seeing a twitter responce from Uber's support saying this. But I can't find a screenshot of it anywhere.

Uber's official stance is "Fares are automatically charged to your account, no need to tip!"

Or, Tip at your discretion.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All this has already been discussed in several post over long period of time in the forums, and yes Uber did acknowledged that tip were not include after the settlement and yes you can put a sign in your vehicle, I did for 8 months and it didn't lower the rate people gave me but also only 1 every 10 passengers would tip , the rest would just ignored it or tell you " I think it's great that you have this sign, to bad I have no cash on me now, but next time" and that is why I removed it, I got sick of this cheap pax telling me that. And that is why not to go over and over again about things that have no solution since like it or not it is not only Uber's fault, people don't tip because they don't want to tip and that is the bottom line, that is why I am going join the rest of the people and just give a " Thanks, you did a great job" as a tip, as a matter fact I will tell them " I will give you 5 stars"!! some of them of them will get my irony some wont but eventually if more Uber drivers start doing this you will see that it will make a difference.
I didn't know that bartenders make so much tip that the owner of the restaurant don't pay them salary but instead claim their taxes for them, I just learned that the other day with this couple I mentioned in my first post, so think how bad would be for that industry if lets say 1/3 of the clients stop tipping, there is thousands of Uber drivers, together we can have a voice and let it be heart......but hey this is just my idea of how to deal with this unfair system of you don't tip me but i do have to tip you.

PS: If I deserve no tip after braking my back carrying all you heavy luggage in and out of my vehicle and driving you safe to your place in this crazy traffic spending my gas, tires, oil, etc, why would you deserve a tip for carrying a bottle of beer 2 feet away and giving it to me, or a plate of food with no cost or danger at all to you??? makes no sense at all!!o_O

·
Registered
8,587 Posts

I give one star to bartenders or servers that don't tip. 3 is way too generous. these people know and understand tipping and it's importance more than anyone. THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

I take it personally when they do the tip. Burn their house down, steal their dog, put raw sewage I'm their beds...

They do it on purpose, they would spit in your food/drink if you did not tip them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts