Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this in my weekly update. Is this only in select markets, or is it across the entire platform?

This makes it undesirable to wait at all.....:(

Cancellation Fee

There is no longer a cancellation fee for our partners and riders. If you've waited for a rider for 5 minutes and have been unable to make contact, you are welcome to cancel the trip and go back online so you can get another request.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
WTF!!! I think it's only Madison. What did you guys do to piss Travis off or is this a test of the new world order, get shit on by Uber and pax cancelling as you arrive alike.

My suggestion. Roll up, wait a minute, start the trip and drive off after 5. You'll get a few minimum fares at least before they fire you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yep! they're stealing cancel fees. Also, right now in Del Mar, Ca it's raining and there's no cars so instead of a surge it's showing the nearest UberX is 33 minutes away. Any takers! Ha

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
No cancellation fee? That is ridiculous. I can't believe it. If Uber isn't requiring the pax to pay a cancellation fee then UBER should be footing the bill. Uber should be paying us $4 for waiting then.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I didn't receive a cancellation fee the other night. I was pretty sure i waited the 5 mins but maybe my timing was off.
There are a few "rules"

Such as, you have to be driving toward the location and "on-time." Sometimes Uber just messes up though, so I would definitely e-mail support with the trip ID and have them look into it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just read the Madison newsletter and noticed this, too. I haven't been having many problems with cancellations lately anyway, but I figured this was because pax were fed up with paying the cancel fees and actually starting to abuse the system less. Ugh. We'll be back to square one in a few weeks once they catch on that no showing is consequence free.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I see that Milwaukee went to a no cancellation fee policy as well. I get one, maybe two a week so I guess its no big deal. I think it will just mean that drivers won't be waiting for riders for more than a minute. Two max. I wonder if it will have any effect on the timeliness of pax. Guess we'll see.....

·
Banned
919 Posts
I didn't receive a cancellation fee the other night. I was pretty sure i waited the 5 mins but maybe my timing was off.
How can your timing be off? Every smart driver arrives, park and turn on their clock app and start the stopwatch feature. Either count down or time goes to 5 minutes and then you cancel. That is at least 5:15 of time and plenty of extra to get the cancellation. Only thing is make sure it is confirmed you have actually arrived.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I just read the Madison newsletter and noticed this, too. I haven't been having many problems with cancellations lately anyway, but I figured this was because pax were fed up with paying the cancel fees and actually starting to abuse the system less. Ugh. We'll be back to square one in a few weeks once they catch on that no showing is consequence free.
Drivers will now call or text for a response and now drivers will set their own waiting time. I figure 3 minutes or less will be the normal wait time instead of 5 minutes. Pax will start to complain and hopefully that will bring them back. I won't move my car until I hear from the pax that they are actually ready when I arrive. Also expect more ass holes ****ing with drivers as a joke.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are a few "rules"

Such as, you have to be driving toward the location and "on-time." Sometimes Uber just messes up though, so I would definitely e-mail support with the trip ID and have them look into it.
Just emailed uber support and they are going to credit me the cancellation fee. Thanks for the advice.

How can your timing be off? Every smart driver arrives, park and turn on their clock app and start the stopwatch feature. Either count down or time goes to 5 minutes and then you cancel. That is at least 5:15 of time and plenty of extra to get the cancellation. Only thing is make sure it is confirmed you have actually arrived.
I guess my timing wasn't off. Sometimes with the auto arrive feature, the timing gets all screwed up.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I think we all missed the point and many of the posst above are thinking that Uber did this because of some good intentions.

Here is my take on it:

Every time a cancellation happens, pax gets pissed off. a great many of them started to ask Uebr for a refund. even if it is their fault, they argue and probably get the refund.
At current pay rate, the office employees are more expensive than a typical Uber driver.
If Office employees are kept busy answering all the pax and after research finding that the pax were at fault, the emails will continue to go back and forth.
And if pax somehow manages to reverse it and or erases the fee, this time driver will ask and pursue to get paid the fee.

Either case, Uber as middle man spends resources on something they make literally no profit from. As a company preparing to go public, they want to eliminate costs and shifts them over to drivers while increasing their income (SRF hike anyone).

Once Uber withdraws from pax/driver support items like this, they will need less back office personnel.
Next thing, they can say unpaid TOLLs are driver's responsibility!
You never know where they can go with this.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I just checked my earnings and I received all of my cancellation fees, as expected.
Taking this away is low and dirty. Increase their SRF in all markets...but take away the cancellation fees???

100% proof, that they don't give two $hits about their drivers!!!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I expect Dallas to stand up to this.

They did it just recently and successfully on the other issue.
But only to X and XL. We're not as organized as the UberBlack cars... this is some serious TKbull.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
they are testing us before the announced strike.
I wish I was in a position to start my strike early, but I can't. I have to go try my luck. No consequences, I tell you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts