Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured it would eventually happen. Mom with small child. No booster seat. Declined the ride despite the "other Uber drivers do it" excuse. That's fine Mom, but the safety of a small child (and a potential ticket) isn't worth it for this GrandPa. Maybe I'll buy a seat...but for now, sorry.

·
Banned
583 Posts
I figured it would eventually happen. Mom with small child. No booster seat. Declined the ride despite the "other Uber drivers do it" excuse. That's fine Mom, but the safety of a small child (and a potential ticket) isn't worth it for this GrandPa. Maybe I'll buy a seat...but for now, sorry.
That right grandpa, not sure how your rules and laws on this, cabs can do it and we cant refuse but parents should understand but alot dont care, like i can haul more than 4 but parents always say " but its a kid" still a person i laugh every time i hear this

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not certain how a police officer would "term" an Uber car in this scenario. The law says-
"Children who are younger than six or weigh less than 60 pounds must ride in an approved safety restraint system.

If you don't properly restrain child passengers, you can be fined, forced to perform community service, and have your license suspended."

Like the open container situation, Uber/Lyft needs to clarify how the laws apply.

·
Banned
583 Posts
I'm not certain how a police officer would "term" an Uber car in this scenario. The law says-
"Children who are younger than six or weigh less than 60 pounds must ride in an approved safety restraint system.

If you don't properly restrain child passengers, you can be fined, forced to perform community service, and have your license suspended."

Like the open container situation, Uber/Lyft needs to clarify how the laws apply.
True,
Taxi are exempt from both,
But not sure with uber, the open container law applys to uber same as regular seat belts

·
Registered
469 Posts
True,
Taxi are exempt from both,
But not sure with uber, the open container law applys to uber same as regular seat belts
How the law is classifying Uber and Lyft needs to be defined. For practical purposes we are licensed to perform the same services as a taxi or sedan. So it should fall into similar categories. So exempt from open container laws and should probably be exempt from child seat laws as well. If your vehicle has built in child restraints, as my Mazda 3 does, that should satisfy the legal standard. From a safety professional standpoint, I could not be less impressed with child safety seats. They do not perform well in accidents,but the industry that makes them has considerable pull politically.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm glad someone else mentioned this topic. The first time it happened to me I didn't know what to do.. I said something like "isn't your kid too small to ride without a car seat?" And she said ," oh we just goin right here down the street!"
I wasn't happy about it but I took her the 1 mile away to the grocery store.. Later I checked my rating and it had dropped, and she was the only problem PAX I had that day...

Second time it happened, I almost started the trip, then I saw the little kid climb in and I told the lady, "I'm really sorry but I don't have a car seat and your kid is way too small to ride without one, there's an option on the app to request an uber with a car seat, you should use it."
And I drove away and canceled the trip.

The very last time (2 months ago) a lady was at the pinpoint with 2 booster seats/car seats in hand along with 1 of her kids, strapped them in and we got going.. I was very impressed that she was that responsible considering this was in South East D.C. In a bad part of the city.. Gave her a 5 star even though we had a 10 minute pit stop to pick up her second kid..

One time I had a group of girls who were passing around a bottle of tequila in the backseat.. I didn't say anything since they weren't rude or arrogant about it.. Very attractive and fun ladies lol

Had a group of guys one Saturday late night, they rolled up a joint and started passing it around, offered it to me, I smoked it with them lol you meet some pretty cool people in DC.. Of course I went home after that, paranoid about the smell of my car..

·
Banned
583 Posts
You do not fall in the same category, as cabs, you are independent contractors, we are licenced and insured thru the state, you are working thru a technology companys, you are not licenced nor inspected thru the state, so you fall under passenger private vehicles.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Now we are a technology company that doesn't have to follow the same rules. SMH, you used to say that we are a transport company and have to follow the rules. Please make up your mind.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You do not fall in the same category, as cabs, you are independent contractors, we are licenced and insured thru the state, you are working thru a technology companys, you are not licenced nor inspected thru the state, so you fall under passenger private vehicles.
You are not insured through the state. The state is not in the insurance business. Cab companies self insure, like many transportation companies. The difference is that they are largely small to mid size businesses with minimal reserves. So highly vulnerable to a claim over 2 million.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You are not insured through the state. The state is not in the insurance business. Cab companies self insure, like many transportation companies. The difference is that they are largely small to mid size businesses with minimal reserves. So highly vulnerable to a claim over 2 million.
^^^

Vegastaxi meant to say "throughout" the state.
The cabs are insured and permitted in the same manner as we are who drive "real" livery.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gotta love Uber and their dodging the issue. When I created this thread I emailed them asking their legal department to clarify the rules whether TNCs fall into the taxi category in regards to kid seats & open alcohol containers.

Their (non) response today- Uber cannot provide legal guidance on these issues but what I will say is you have 100% right of refusal and Uber will not penalize you for doing so.

Always follow applicable laws.

So, for me- (1) no child seat, no ride and (2) drink up before you get in my car.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Gotta love Uber and their dodging the issue. When I created this thread I emailed them asking their legal department to clarify the rules whether TNCs fall into the taxi category in regards to kid seats & open alcohol containers.

Their (non) response today- Uber cannot provide legal guidance on these issues but what I will say is you have 100% right of refusal and Uber will not penalize you for doing so.

Always follow applicable laws.

So, for me- (1) no child seat, no ride and (2) drink up before you get in my car.
Please note that the one subject they have actually been clear on are the state's panda laws. You are not allowed to panda. It could be a major issue with Halloween weekend. If a doctor and a bee request a ride, it is probably a sting operation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts