Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pax going from Edison to EWR and asked him to sit in the front seat. He got belligerent and asked why. I explained that I don't want to get a ticket because the EWR cops hate Uber. He didn't seem to care and still insisted on sitting in the back. I cancelled the ride.
I missed out on a good paid trip to the airport and the possibility of another good trip from the airport, but I don't want a ticket or a 1 star.
I hope he kept doing this to every Uber driver he got and missed his flight, all while paying a bunch of $5 cancellation fees.

·
Banned
821 Posts
The PA cops are not so militant about drop offs as they are about pickups. Terminal C arrival area or bottom level is locked down except in rare cases where the cops are not there. The cops are worried about Uber stealing business from the yellow taxi line at the airport.

Ive done dropoffs every day for a year and only had one incident which resulted in an obscure license plate ticket. When I tried doing pickups is when all hell broke loose and I really got ticketed.

There have also been rare incidents at the tunnels where Uber drivers were ticketed by PA. Basically, if the PA cop sees it they will nail you, but the highest risk area is the Terminal C pickup area Level 1 at EWR. Everywhere else is low risk.

Im gettijg FHV license, plates and switched to a van so I can get the airport business without getting scrutiny by the PA.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You did the right thing. It is better to be safe than sorry, and there have been issues reported on this board with dropoffs. Although I agree with NJD that the problem is more pickup than dropoff related, you never know what the situation is going to be like before it's too late.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Its not a dangerous situation. The cops are not going to open fire on Uber Drivers. They will simply get your license, reg and insurance and come back with 4 tickets. Some of the cops will try to sweat you by standing over you or give you a hard time, but most are cordial and smile while they work. Next, you will go to court where it might be an uncomfortable annoying experience, but not dangerous. Finally, your driving record will be notated with the tickets. It wont be points or go against your personal insurance, but it will be on the abstract which is 1 page printout from the DMV.

If you get a rough and tough lecture you are about to get let off with a warning. When the cop is smiling and making it seem like a business transaction you are about to get handed 4 tickets.

At no time are you in danger except if you dont sit still. Sit still in the car and make sure both you and your car are legit...above board...with nothing they can site you for. The PA cops stick with their procedures and do not deviate.

You can elect to stay silent, but the cops can also elect to find something else to give you a ticket for or come up with something to give you a hard time over. I would just tell them the truth and let the chips fall where they may. If you have to go to court, you have to go and Uber pays for it. Sorry if you have to miss a day of work to go to court...actually, on attorney represented matters the court lets it go first so you wont be there for the day.

Again, at no time are you in any danger unless you create that situation. Just relax and let them do their job. Dont try to debate the cop. We all know it will make the matter worse if you try to debate.

Here is my experience with Port Authority cops:

- George Washington Bridge carpool lane - Stopped for having 1 passenger. Older PA Cop. Just given a stern and firm lecture how the lane is clearly marked for 3 people. Let me go on my way

- Newark airport dropoff- After the dropoff PA cop in sedan gets behind me with lights on. Given a lecture on how Im not supposed to Uber at the airport and issued an obscure license plate ticket. My plate wasnt at all obscure. Uber paid this $54 ticket. This did show up on my driving abstract.

- Cruising around the airport- Stopped for concerns about my license plate. They sweated me for 30 minutes with 3 cruisers and multiple cops. Finally let me go saying it was their computer error. Lets face it, it was harassment.

- Cruising around the airport- Stopped by the same cop from the above license plate error thing. He told me he was glad the issue got cleared up and left. More harassment.

- Standing in Terminal B at Newark Airport- I was surfing the web and lost attention of what was going on around me. A couple cops jumped me. Issued $54 no-standing ticket. Uber did not pay that ticket.

- Pickup in Terminal C at Newark Airport- It looked clear, but then two cops jump out from behind a barrier. I got issued the typical 4 tickets they give all the drivers. Going to court soon on these tickets.

I finally gave up and applied for the FHV license. Have not been back to EWR since because I was marked at the airport and Im not exactly sure what they would come up with next or what Uber would pay for.

Ive been stopped by cops over 20 times in my lifetime. Ive been to traffic court multiple times. Even one time my license was suspended many many years ago. I think a lot of people here have been to traffic court and if you havent...there will be that first time...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had a pax going from Edison to EWR and asked him to sit in the front seat. He got belligerent and asked why. I explained that I don't want to get a ticket because the EWR cops hate Uber. He didn't seem to care and still insisted on sitting in the back. I cancelled the ride.
I missed out on a good paid trip to the airport and the possibility of another good trip from the airport, but I don't want a ticket or a 1 star.
I hope he kept doing this to every Uber driver he got and missed his flight, all while paying a bunch of $5 cancellation fees.
Good for u i do the same sit in front or no ride i dont take the he chance

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Its not a dangerous situation. The cops are not going to open fire on Uber Drivers. They will simply get your license, reg and insurance and come back with 4 tickets.
Who said anything about it being dangerous? The idea is avoiding a problem.

Please, please, PLEASE stop acting like getting four tickets with a mandatory court appearance IN NEWARK (which for some drivers can be upwards of an hour away) AND a possible impound risk is not a big deal. Granted, to you, it's not.

But to other drivers, it is.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Its not a dangerous situation. The cops are not going to open fire on Uber Drivers. They will simply get your license, reg and insurance and come back with 4 tickets. Some of the cops will try to sweat you by standing over you or give you a hard time, but most are cordial and smile while they work. Next, you will go to court where it might be an uncomfortable annoying experience, but not dangerous. Finally, your driving record will be notated with the tickets. It wont be points or go against your personal insurance, but it will be on the abstract which is 1 page printout from the DMV.

If you get a rough and tough lecture you are about to get let off with a warning. When the cop is smiling and making it seem like a business transaction you are about to get handed 4 tickets.

At no time are you in danger except if you dont sit still. Sit still in the car and make sure both you and your car are legit...above board...with nothing they can site you for. The PA cops stick with their procedures and do not deviate.

You can elect to stay silent, but the cops can also elect to find something else to give you a ticket for or come up with something to give you a hard time over. I would just tell them the truth and let the chips fall where they may. If you have to go to court, you have to go and Uber pays for it. Sorry if you have to miss a day of work to go to court...actually, on attorney represented matters the court lets it go first so you wont be there for the day.

Again, at no time are you in any danger unless you create that situation. Just relax and let them do their job. Dont try to debate the cop. We all know it will make the matter worse if you try to debate.

Here is my experience with Port Authority cops:

- George Washington Bridge carpool lane - Stopped for having 1 passenger. Older PA Cop. Just given a stern and firm lecture how the lane is clearly marked for 3 people. Let me go on my way

- Newark airport dropoff- After the dropoff PA cop in sedan gets behind me with lights on. Given a lecture on how Im not supposed to Uber at the airport and issued an obscure license plate ticket. My plate wasnt at all obscure. Uber paid this $54 ticket. This did show up on my driving abstract.

- Cruising around the airport- Stopped for concerns about my license plate. They sweated me for 30 minutes with 3 cruisers and multiple cops. Finally let me go saying it was their computer error. Lets face it, it was harassment.

- Cruising around the airport- Stopped by the same cop from the above license plate error thing. He told me he was glad the issue got cleared up and left. More harassment.

- Standing in Terminal B at Newark Airport- I was surfing the web and lost attention of what was going on around me. A couple cops jumped me. Issued $54 no-standing ticket. Uber did not pay that ticket.

- Pickup in Terminal C at Newark Airport- It looked clear, but then two cops jump out from behind a barrier. I got issued the typical 4 tickets they give all the drivers. Going to court soon on these tickets.

I finally gave up and applied for the FHV license. Have not been back to EWR since because I was marked at the airport and Im not exactly sure what they would come up with next or what Uber would pay for.

Ive been stopped by cops over 20 times in my lifetime. Ive been to traffic court multiple times. Even one time my license was suspended many many years ago. I think a lot of people here have been to traffic court and if you havent...there will be that first time...
Un ****ing believable!
For most drivers and especially part time drivers, having to take time out of their lives to spend a day in court is a major pain in the ass. That's what's dangerous about it. Having to lay out money to pay the fines, that's what's dangerous about it.

Why do you give other drivers advice that only pertains to you? Just because you like dealing with the police and enjoy going to court doesn't mean that the newbie drivers you seem to like to advise in this forum will feel the same way.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Im going to be brutally honest. If you have a problem with the courts or the police you need to be in a different business. No way are you going to put 50k miles on a car and not get pulled over at some point. Absolutely no way. If you dont get pulled over during that time and receive no tickets feel lucky.

Ive not just driven for Uber but I drive for my business. I put on 150k on a car in 3 years before I drove for Uber. During that time I was stopped and ticketed appearing in the Suffolk County court and the administrative court in NYC.

So Lepke this applies to all people. If you dont want tickets, dont want police, cant take time out of your day for court...let me give it to you straight. Deactivate your count and put yourself out of misery. This is a profession where police stops and tickets happen. Police will harass you wondering what your doing. Cant deal with it than do us a favor and get lost. Dont keep coming back here and let us listen to your gripes about the police. Death, taxes and police. Deal with it brother.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Im going to be brutally honest. If you have a problem with the courts or the police you need to be in a different business. No way are you going to put 50k miles on a car and not get pulled over at some point. Absolutely no way. If you dont get pulled over during that time and receive no tickets feel lucky.

Ive not just driven for Uber but I drive for my business. I put on 150k on a car in 3 years before I drove for Uber. During that time I was stopped and ticketed appearing in the Suffolk County court and the administrative court in NYC.

So Lepke this applies to all people. If you dont want tickets, dont want police, cant take time out of your day for court...let me give it to you straight. Deactivate your count and put yourself out of misery. This is a profession where police stops and tickets happen. Police will harass you wondering what your doing. Cant deal with it than do us a favor and get lost. Dont keep coming back here and let us listen to your gripes about the police. Death, taxes and police. Deal with it brother.
In the year and a half that I've been doing this I've managed to avoid the police nicely. I got pulled over once in Manasquan over the summer and was let go after a short lecture on the illegality of Uber. I haven't gotten a ticket since 1999 and would like to keep it that way.
I'm sure most of the new drivers that you seem to get a kick out of advising would also like to avoid contact with the police.

You are irreparable with the advice you hand out.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Its very sound advice to say that every time you go out on the road you might get pulled over. Even you, a person who hasnt gotten tickets since 1999, got pulled over. So I would tell every single driver that...look..you will get pulled over and if you dont...feel lucky. If you cant deal than quit.

·
Banned
821 Posts
and you will especially get pulled over if you are Black. Probably why you havent been pulled over since 99. The fact is if you drive while Black around the airport or the suburbs..you are getting pulled over. That is why Ive been stopped 20 times and harassed by the PA police. The PA police stopped me twice as a result of some computer error. BS. They saw me and decided to have a closer look and harass me.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts

Funny, but I seem to recall you posting in another thread about how the police will leave you alone if only you had TLC plates.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Yes they will technically leave you alone free of the famous 4 tickets, but still no standing tickets are fair game. Im working on a new strategy which involves UberXL. Im already up 186 dollars off of 6 fares today non airport Jersey rates.

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can let the pax sit in the back with your TLC plates. Not for those of us with regular plates. Still, I prefer to avoid confrontation by having the passengers sit up front and shut up when questioned by the cops.
I think Uber should make the passenger pay the fines if they get more than 3 drivers ticketed. Because chances are, the pax is saying something stupid to the police.

·
Banned
821 Posts
If you approach the passengers the wrong way they will rate you bad at the end. Myself along with many other drivers have been rated bad for nonsense. So if you launch into this lecture about police or sitting in the front seat the passengers will get a bad feeling tainting the trip. The passengers expect a smooth trip with a happy driver. If they dont get it you get voted down.

I have never had anyone sit in the front during a drop and I go to the airport daily. Just dropped one off today. The police focus on arrival not departure. They want to protect the yellow taxis which pay to be there.

Also if you insist they sit in the front that opens you up to charges. The passenger can than say you were touching or smiling at them. If its a woman you make sit up there just the wrong glance and she has a complaint. The passenger can also grab the wheel or shift the trans. The safest spot for them and you is behind the passenger seat.

So keep going with that and get a bad rating. Eventually you get voted off the island. Force a woman to sit in the front and invite charges. Invite emails to customer service saying the driver forced me up front and harassed me. Id rather take my chances with the PAPD.

Of course there is a risk with tickets, but Uber pays those and represents you with a lawyer. If that risk is still not acceptable because you cant take a day off work..dont drive for Uber. Stick with your day job.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Had a women the other day ewr trip from JC asked her to sit in the front and explain to her what was going on at ewr
No issues she aggreed with it including whe I told her that if there were too many cops in terminals b I would pull in short term parking and she could just walk across the road into the terminal
No issues no problem but it is better to ask and explain and agree before you star the trip
And yes you did the right thing by cancel and drive away I would do the same

·
Banned
821 Posts
Actually keep doing it forcing people to the front so you can get voted off the island and we dont hear your crying anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Most people are decent and won't have a problem or down rate you for asking them to sit in the front. once you explained the situation most people don't have a problem. I had one guy refused to sit in the front. I drove him anyway quickly dropped without a problem and got the hell out of there. granted that was before Uber instituted New York City rates at the airport and before total driver saturation at EWR.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Actually keep doing it forcing people to the front so you can get voted off the island and we dont hear your crying anymore.
I don't force them. Basically, if you are well spoken, your car is clean, and you're not a creep, people are ok with it. But you have to explain why you want them to sit in front.

If they don't agree, then I don't start the trip, I cancel the fare, and tell them to find another driver.

·
Registered
48 Posts
and you will especially get pulled over if you are Black. Probably why you havent been pulled over since 99. The fact is if you drive while Black around the airport or the suburbs..you are getting pulled over. That is why Ive been stopped 20 times and harassed by the PA police. The PA police stopped me twice as a result of some computer error. BS. They saw me and decided to have a closer look and harass me.
You're not black.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts