Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a particularly obnoxious pax this morning who asked me to wait in a long Starbucks drive-thru line, I have decided that I will no longer offer to do so.

For those who don't allow it, what do you say when asked?

I'm thinking something like this:

"Many people are under the impression that we are paid for waiting. That is not correct. Although there is a small surcharge for being in stopped or slow-moving traffic, it is only __ cents per minute*. That works out to less than minimum wage, and doesn't include gas and a/c costs. I'm sorry, but I can't be off the road for that rate. I can take you there and drop you off, but once you exit the vehicle the fare ends."

If they want to strike a deal, then fine, but the sense of entitlement ends.

What do you folks do?

(*Will vary by market, use the figure that is 80% of charged rate in your region.)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I just say, "If there's a line (or a wait time of more than a few minutes) I won't be able to, I only make money when I spin my wheels." If they insist I explain what 75ish percent of the per minute fare adds up to in an hour.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I tell them that they're being charged $30 per hour to sit in line. If they want to pay, I'm happy to take their money.

You guys gotta stop driving for those low rates.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Even at the rate of $29/hr, the time spent in a fast food line is a money loser if it is at all busy. Plus I never felt it was my task to be a caretaker or babysitter.

What is really galling about the request is that the passengers will tie up a cab for 20 or 30 minutes with this are probably the same ones complaining that they can't get a cab in a timely manner.

I will tell them that I can drop them at the location because I have a pre-scheduled trip soon. They are too self- indulgent and it is just plain boring and annoying to sit with a bunch of drunks talking crap.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've only had one really annoying drive thru experience - and that was when I first started (was driving nights). A drunk couple who insisted on going to one of those all night mexican joints and the drive thru took an eternity. I wouldn't let it happen again. Now I would say "Be happy to do whatever you want" I would then reach for my Square payment reader, and simply ask them how they would like to pay the $30 fee. Cash or card.

If I look back over the last 100 or so trips, I've probably only been asked to wait on 2 or 3 occasions, and most people were in and out within 5 mins. That I dont mind so much. What pisses me off is when riders dont express any thanks for waiting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tell them i cannot wait more then 5 mins. I had a guy the other day that wanted me to wait for him to so inside a hibachi place to order his food and come out. I asked him how long he said 15 mins. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a losing game for us. Last weekend I had this dumb guy who I picked up at a mall to go home. As I pull into his street he told me I'm going the wrong way. Turns out he changed his mind and wanted to go to a burger place but never updated the app. But I turned around as it was only two minutes away. As I pulled into the lot he just said "the drive through is over there". He wasn't even asking and just assumed. I bit my tongue and did it as there was no line. So I drove back and as we passed this grocery store, he asked me to stop and wait for him. When he saw my puzzled look as I was just about to say something he just said " I guess I'll just walk home". He closed the door and gave me a low rating.

He had a 4.7 rating (not after I rated him though) and said he uses uber all the time. I guess other drivers just do whatever they're being told and so when some push back, we get penalized for that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's a losing game for us. Last weekend I had this dumb guy who I picked up at a mall to go home. As I pull into his street he told me I'm going the wrong way. Turns out he changed his mind and wanted to go to a burger place but never updated the app. But I turned around as it was only two minutes away. As I pulled into the lot he just said "the drive through is over there". He wasn't even asking and just assumed. I bit my tongue and did it as there was no line. So I drove back and as we passed this grocery store, he asked me to stop and wait for him. When he saw my puzzled look as I was just about to say something he just said " I guess I'll just walk home". He closed the door and gave me a low rating.

He had a 4.7 rating (not after I rated him though) and said he uses uber all the time. I guess other drivers just do whatever they're being told and so when some push back, we get penalized for that.
Get the client to cancel on you. Tell'em the app is acting funny on your phone. The only way to end it is if they cancel. You still get paid and you can't rate each other.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you in any way fail to do whatever it is the rider wants, it WILL affect your rating. You have to decide if the wasted minutes are worth preserving that. If you do alot of trips like me, it does not matter. Now that my time is down to 10 cents per minute, I do not do waiting or heavy traffic - I simply apologize to the rider and tell them that unfortunately I do not have enough time.

80 Posts
I only had it happen once because I don't drive a lot at night. This ****** and his two hookers wanted to stop at 7-11 on a minimum fare (less than half a mile) and I said, "I make it a rule to not stop and wait for things like that." ****** got mad "phhttt...you make a rule??" and I said he was welcome to get out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts