Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I joined Uber back in September, Uber just gave me the Iphone and told me absolutely nothing else except a few basic instructions. The first thing I did was to read message boards which was, in a way, a BIG MISTAKE. Reading the message boards kept me out of profitable areas like Hoboken where there are surges all the time and fares all the time. In fact, I oftentimes see NY TLC drivers there when its surging. Right after the NYC TLC drivers get off of Uberpeople message board telling us how bad Hoboken is to drive they get on the road in Hoboken and start taking fares.

There are many types of people on this board who do no want to see the average NJ Uberx driver to succeed such as taxi/limo company owners. There are also huge trollios who go from one message board to the other trolling.

I am the real deal and Im interested in getting in on those NY fares at the Newark airport. After I get done with my usual work from my other job Im heading down to Newark airport and going to try the strategy I outlined previously. The strategy is to park in short term parking and wait at the door or in the baggage area for fares. Once I get a ping, I will walk to the passenger and together we walk to the short term parking. I will dress business casual in slacks and collared shirt. To find me better, I have bought something cheap...a $1.50...at CVS and will raise my hand with it to help the passengers find me. I dont want anyone copying that idea so I wont state what I will be holding up. If we all hold up the same thing, it will be a giveaway to the PA Police. Just find something around the home like a handkerchief. Or simply just raise your hand at the airport and tell them you are the guy raising your hand.

If the passenger asks why you are parked in short term parking, tell them the PA Police does not want you waiting at the curb for passengers. They have given a few no standing tickets out.

Im going in a few hours and will report back here HONEST and REAL stories of my experience. I dont believe its good all week long, but we shall see. There are planes coming in every day and the guy nearest the passenger gets the ping.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
When I joined Uber back in September, Uber just gave me the Iphone and told me absolutely nothing else except a few basic instructions. The first thing I did was to read message boards which was, in a way, a BIG MISTAKE. Reading the message boards kept me out of profitable areas like Hoboken where there are surges all the time and fares all the time. In fact, I oftentimes see NY TLC drivers there when its surging. Right after the NYC TLC drivers get off of Uberpeople message board telling us how bad Hoboken is to drive they get on the road in Hoboken and start taking fares.

There are many types of people on this board who do no want to see the average NJ Uberx driver to succeed such as taxi/limo company owners. There are also huge trollios who go from one message board to the other trolling.

I am the real deal and Im interested in getting in on those NY fares at the Newark airport. After I get done with my usual work from my other job Im heading down to Newark airport and going to try the strategy I outlined previously. The strategy is to park in short term parking and wait at the door or in the baggage area for fares. Once I get a ping, I will walk to the passenger and together we walk to the short term parking. I will dress business casual in slacks and collared shirt. To find me better, I have bought something cheap...a $1.50...at CVS and will raise my hand with it to help the passengers find me. I dont want anyone copying that idea so I wont state what I will be holding up. If we all hold up the same thing, it will be a giveaway to the PA Police. Just find something around the home like a handkerchief. Or simply just raise your hand at the airport and tell them you are the guy raising your hand.

If the passenger asks why you are parked in short term parking, tell them the PA Police does not want you waiting at the curb for passengers. They have given a few no standing tickets out.

Im going in a few hours and will report back here HONEST and REAL stories of my experience. I dont believe its good all week long, but we shall see. There are planes coming in every day and the guy nearest the passenger gets the ping.
Please do. I was there at the EWR twice yesterday (Sunday aug. 9) but I did not wait for the ping. I was scared and there were already too many Uber cars there. So please report back with your experience. I suspect that the pax would like you to wait by the curb for them, even though, they (Pax) does not know which door or level they will come from.

·
Registered
262 Posts
:)

keep us posted. I come to the forum when I need search for real useful information. otherwise I don't pay attention to all those drivers who only come on here to talk trash trying to keep others from making money.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent 90 minutes at the airport. I parked in the short term garage right across from Terminal C. Parked near the elevator on the 2nd level. No pings!!!

The problem is not the cops. The problem is EWR is overflowing with Uber cars. All terminals are bottle necked. Outside the terminals cars are parked on the medians. This might be different at night and on other days, but it looked like no one was getting pings. Each Uber car seemed to sit. Some were TLC cars, some were NJ Limo plated cars and some were just ordinary plate.

I suggest staying away from the airport for the next week and wait for this to burn off a bit.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, not one fare and I didnt see any of the Uber cars get fares either. They were 2 to 3 deep at Terminal C and backed out on the shoulders of the airport. Every once in a while the police would come in on foot 4 to 5 strong in high vis vests to clear it out. Suddenly the cops would disappear and the Uber cars would be back. Every once in a while the blue and white suv would cruise in with its lights on shooing people out, but when the cops were gone it would build up 2 to 3 deep as if some huge plane was due in.

My buddy who had been at the airport all day long since the morning with NYC TLC plates got two fares. He suggested coming back late past midnight.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think this plan might have been good BEFORE the new fairs went in effect since everyone was afraid of picking up at the airport. I guess you can try at a different time of the day.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked at Uber right now at the airport on the passenger app and its exactly what I saw when it was there. There will be empty arrival terminals and thats when that group of 5 PA cops are shooing people out in unison. When they leave, the cars instantly come back to roost. So I think its best to stay away from the airport for a good week at least...maybe 2 weeks. Wait for other Uber drivers to get flustered and throw in the towel with it.

The true test is if on driving into the airport you see cars camped out on the shoulder outside of the airport...you know...not a good day.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The update is this.

The Port Authority cops respect the NY TLC plates. I know those plates dont make you legal legal, but the PA cops will let it fly. That said Ive applied for the NY FHV license and will get the tlc plates...but it will take months to get as is the wait time.

I got a minivan because that qualifies as Uberxl too so I have more shots at pings. Im Ubering around Jersey for now waiting on the FHV license.

Keep in mind nothing gets you out of the 54 dollar no standing ticket at the airport unless the cop who is there lets it fly. Uber paid my no standing ticket after telling them the cops harassed me asking if I was Uber, but they may not pay it. In any event 54 dollars for that.

I did go to court over the tickets I got at Newark with Ubers hired gun attorney. Posted details in another thread.

My advice is to find a used 2wd 4 cyl Highlander and run it as Uberx/Uberxl. The minivan is good, but gas mileage is bad. You get 20 to 30% more pings with Uberxl over the course of a 10 to 12 hour shift.

When I was at Newark I was on my sixth trip for the day and made 300 dollars when I got the tickets. So if you can do it, you can make good money at the airport. Those TLC plates will make you invisible.

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
The update is this.

The Port Authority cops respect the NY TLC plates. I know those plates dont make you legal legal, but the PA cops will let it fly. That said Ive applied for the NY FHV license and will get the tlc plates...but it will take months to get as is the wait time.

I got a minivan because that qualifies as Uberxl too so I have more shots at pings. Im Ubering around Jersey for now waiting on the FHV license.

Keep in mind nothing gets you out of the 54 dollar no standing ticket at the airport unless the cop who is there lets it fly. Uber paid my no standing ticket after telling them the cops harassed me asking if I was Uber, but they may not pay it. In any event 54 dollars for that.

I did go to court over the tickets I got at Newark with Ubers hired gun attorney. Posted details in another thread.

My advice is to find a used 2wd 4 cyl Highlander and run it as Uberx/Uberxl. The minivan is good, but gas mileage is bad. You get 20 to 30% more pings with Uberxl over the course of a 10 to 12 hour shift.

When I was at Newark I was on my sixth trip for the day and made 300 dollars when I got the tickets. So if you can do it, you can make good money at the airport. Those TLC plates will make you invisible.
"Those TLC plates will make you invisible."

What are you smoking? They do not.

·
Banned
821 Posts
I know a couple of guys at EWR who pickup all the time with TLC plates. The cops are not their problem. Getting pings is the problem.

I checked with Ubers attorney at the court and they said NYC TLC are not being issued tickets. Their focus is on Jersey plate. Do you want the attorneys phone number to check? You can also park in short term and go up to the PA to ask if not sure.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
I know a couple of guys at EWR who pickup all the time with TLC plates. The cops are not their problem. Getting pings is the problem.

I checked with Ubers attorney at the court and they said NYC TLC are not being issued tickets. Their focus is on Jersey plate. Do you want the attorneys phone number to check? You can also park in short term and go up to the PA to ask if not sure.

Enough of the message board BS where the Lepke troll who never posts an invoice or trip spouts bad information.
I endeavor to post accurate information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts