Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so last night was my first night out to get a feel for this and working the app, I fumbled through it and made diddly on my first night out. I only had 6 rides and choose a college area which I knew would all be short trips to break my cherry and try to learn the app.
Anyway I was wondering is there any down side to not answering a "ping". I find myself checking the app at my day joba lot just to see what areas are doing what. I have gotten pinged a few times that I have just let expire. Could too many of these get me de-activated?

TYIA

·
Registered
703 Posts
We are required to keep acceptance rate at 90% and up for smooth rolling.Since you are new try to keep up that acceptance percentage which is not at all difficult.You don't want to read all the crappy threatening messages coming your way for not accepting pings.BTW,why would you be logged into driver mode when you're unable to accept pings?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just trying to learn the app. for so-called about to surge areas and areas that are surging and about what times this all happens..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi im am new to both uber and the forum and I'm sorry this doesn't just have to do with your question but I couldn't find where to post a new question. My question is do you have to be sitting still to receive a ping or can you be driving and still receive a ping. I drove this weekend for the first time and never did receive a ping while I was driving as soon as I stopped I would receive one. This of course was while I did not have a current rider.
Deanna

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi Deanna, welcome aboard!! It doesn't matter if you drive or not as long as you're logged in,the pings will come.If you don't drive around much in order to find a ping,you will be saving on gas which results in more profit by the end of the day.All the experienced drivers here recommend against dead miles,and believe me they have figured it all out. You may also get pings while driving with a rider for a Line ride and that's entirely up-to you to accept or not.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Keep your acceptance rate as high as you can, but don't feel like it has to be 100%. When I was new, I used to accept every request. Now, with more seasoning, I look at everything that little countdown gives me:
  • Circle map: where is this pax? Is it in an area I want do dive into right now? Wait, is that pin really in the middle of a river?
  • Time & Distance: this pax is "10 minutes" away. So that's probably about 6 to 8 minutes in no traffic, maybe 3 miles. Maybe.
  • Rating: Oh, a 5.0? Must be new or a really good tipper. Wait, 4.3? Oh, hell to the naw.
  • Surge: No surge? Hmm. Better be close by! 2.4x surge? You bet, buddy!
Remember that, within 10 seconds of accepting, you can always do ACRO: Accept > Cancel > Reason: Other. That way it won't hurt your stats.

Uber on.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Pax told me last week that a driver called her immediately after request to find out where she was going, then canceled her. Pretty shitty.
Not really...We're independent contractors, we reserve the right to accept or decline rides at our own discretion. Anyone who tells you differently is implying that you're an employee.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pax told me last week that a driver called her immediately after request to find out where she was going, then canceled her. Pretty shitty.
Yeah, some of us drivers does this to passengers, then turn around and ask them to pay higher rates. I would say we should not care for passengers, and passengers should not care for us.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
How hard is it to maintain a 5* rating as a pax? If they're less than 5* or maybe 4.8 then they obviously don't cash tip. I will accept any 5* assuming they are a great client that is a cash tipper. Lower ratings though, and 25-minutes away? Nah.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I don't know where to post a new question. My question is what is everyone doing for the insurance for uber. I know they insure you for liability for your passengers but my insurance company is telling me that they will cancel me if I were with my vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts