Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just began the sign up process. Uploaded the necessary documents and now must obtain a "TNC" which I have been informed can be obtained at the office. It is there that I can receive a vehicle inspection free of charge as well.

What else will I need today? I've been reading about the business license and background check etc. with the license being $200 is that something I can obtain later on down the road? Or is it a requirement to start driving? I just don't want to head to the Uber office and not be prepared today.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello, not sure if Uber still has the vehicle inspection team on site like they did the weeks leading up to launch day. But for sure, you will need to bring your car insurance, registration and drivers license with you. A state license for $200 is required by the state (to make you legal) but not required to have or show to Uber to get signed up, but I highly recommend as I have had to show it twice to police during my 211 completed trips so far. Once you pay for your state license, you are given a link to print it immediately. IF, Uber is no longer doing inspections, it's not hard to get one done. Print the form, get inspected and upload to the site. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nick, you've been stopped by police twice in 211 rides? What is the story there? I suppose if I have to, I'll try to pull it up on my laptop, but I don't carry a lot of paper around, including that license...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tim, first time I was asked/told to show my state license was by NHP after dropping off at the Speedway. Second time was by Metro while picking up at Life Is Beautiful Sunday night. NHP actually said to me "I sure hope you have your contractor license on you", and when asked by Metro, she almost looked like she was bored and was just asking because she was walking by at exact same time I pulled over in loading zone to pick up my passengers. She asked if I had all my documentation on me and I said yes and opened a folder with my registration, insurance and business license in it and she glanced and kept walking.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It does say please post in a conspicuous location. But I would have assumed only the TNC sticker would be required in the car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow..... I'm not sure what I'd do. I guess pull it up on the laptop or smart phone. Or insist that he do so since there's only a violation if you actually don't have a license, and the burden of proof is on him. Plus you can drive multiple cars, each of which requires a separate TNC sticker, but you would still only need 1 business license. What are you supposed to do move it from one car to another? What if two people are partnered with an LLC and each driver for Uber at the same time using 1 license? Same with a food truck or any other business that has 1 license and multiple work locations or whatever. A disagreement with a rookie cop is not a problem I particularly want to deal with, but I guess I'll just deal with it if it comes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tim, those are great points. I thought the same. At worst, I thought it would be like not having your insurance card on you and getting a ticket but then just have to show you do have insurance and it goes away. I was really freaked out the first time but after thinking about it for some of those reasons you wrote, I never really thought about it again. I do carry a folder in the car now with all my documents in it and also made a copy of a shrunken down version of my business license and taped it nicely to the back of my Uber decal so it is visible and looks nice to the passengers as well. Figure I've only been asked to show it on less then 1% of my trips so not to concerned any officials even really care. Lmao!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before I run out and drop $200 on a business license, I wanted to see how imperative it was for UBER (not necessarily the police) for me to begin driving without it. I would obviously obtain one at some point. I just wanted to confirm whether I had to have it before UBER okays me to drive.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Before I run out and drop $200 on a business license, I wanted to see how imperative it was for UBER (not necessarily the police) for me to begin driving without it. I would obviously obtain one at some point. I just wanted to confirm whether I had to have it before UBER okays me to drive.
Wait until you get the "You're approved" Uber email first. Uber won't ask to see it or upload it...but you'll need it before your hit the road or you'll be playing with fire.

I took a picture of my license and carry the photo on my phone.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do Not start driving until you get the state business license. Uber has nothing to do with you getting your business license. It is up to you as an Independent Contractor to get licensed. I also carry a copy with me in the car just in case I get asked by police.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts