Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Desperate for some advise here! I'm starting my driving this week in my UberSelect car and wanted to know where to start.... Should I take a drive to DIA or start in the burbs where I live? Downtown?

Also, I won't be working past 10pm, but could start as early as 7 most days... What would be optimal hours/schedule?

I know you all have you strategies and don't want to step on toes, but a little help would go along way and would greatly appreciate some good hearted guidance!

P.S. I drive a 2008 BMW X3 if that makes any difference. I also wanted to sign up for Lyft, but don't know how to utilize them both.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Start off with 3 profiles. UberSelect only; uberX only; uberselect and uber x. If you pm me I'll tell you the underserved area of town. I try very hard to avoid downtown. Typically you get short minimum fares. After midnight something strange happens and rhey all turn into freaks. Just not worth it. Tech center is good area to work as well. So is Glendale and cherry creek but you will often end up downtown. Which works nicely around ten. That's when many people end dinner and need a ride home. After midnight drive at your own risk.

Unless you live near DIA don't take the trip unless you have a pax. Not worth it. But the consultant life (spent 15yrs consulting) often being in the tech center around 4 or downtown then you will have a better chance getting an airport run on thrs and Fridays. Also hang around the hotel areas in the mornings. Consultants need rides to the companies. But those are often short runs.

After you drive a while you'll figure out what strategy works best for you. Typically I run my uberSelect profile only and lyft at same time.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hey guys!

Desperate for some advise here! I'm starting my driving this week in my UberSelect car and wanted to know where to start.... Should I take a drive to DIA or start in the burbs where I live? Downtown?

Also, I won't be working past 10pm, but could start as early as 7 most days... What would be optimal hours/schedule?

I know you all have you strategies and don't want to step on toes, but a little help would go along way and would greatly appreciate some good hearted guidance!

P.S. I drive a 2008 BMW X3 if that makes any difference. I also wanted to sign up for Lyft, but don't know how to utilize them both.
Drive daytime first until you become familiar with the app. In Las Vegas, nights can be dangerous. Always be alert. Mount phone high, not low if you can. Nighttime blinds pots are extremely dangerous. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you ever have riders sit in the front seat? If they are solo I'd rather them be in the back diagonal from the driver seat, but how do you tell a passenger that?

·
Registered
496 Posts
TurboBetty,

The very best advice is to set your expectations realistically.

For the hours you want to work, you will only make about $10 an hour after Uber commission & gas (not to mention repairs, maintenance and the reduced value of your car). Most of your fares will be short rides and half of your miles driven will be "deadhead miles" (no passenger).

Do yourself a big favor and track your trips, expenses and income for a month and then do the math. Only then can you see if Uber is worth your time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Find yourself a good strategy or routine that works. For example, if you leave the house one morning and catch a fare from destination/area x to DIA that proves to be good money, then why not start your day hovering around that same area. Likewise for trips that may not take you as far; if you know that the place you picked up your pax is likely to cough up another ping, then why not hightail it back to that area. Now you have your very own strategy. Rinse, get dirty, tweak and repeat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive read others say its easier to watch them from front seat. I let them pick & thats usually where they go first. I havent had an issue yet with a rider, just started myself this week.

Do you ever have riders sit in the front seat? If they are solo I'd rather them be in the back diagonal from the driver seat, but how do you tell a passenger that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts