Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did 2 drops to the airport today. Didnt want to do pickups because of recent tickets. My buddy told me he picks up in front of cops all the time and has his Uber sign up with TLC plates. No issues with PA PD. If you do have those plates and not certain just ask the cop. Saw no cops in the departure areas.

My buddy was hanging in Terminal C just under the ramp. He told me at 6am a blue&white and 2 cops on foot came out ticketing. He wasnt sure what the tickets were for. One car was a TLC Camry, another an old van and another sedan. This is unusual because usually they give fair warning and come out at 7am. Looks like they decided to come out earlier and with macho.

Im hearing, experiencing and reading on here the cops are giving out parking tickets for no standing without warning. If they suspect you are Uber they will try to make you admit it. On Sunday I told them I was picking up my buddy coming in on a Paris flight. The cop laughed and told me if I wanted to try again saying he knows Im Uber. I held firm and got no standing ticket 54 dollars. Its a parking ticket btw. If they see you pickup, drop or admit to your Uber status they write you the famous 4 tickets and you will have to go to court with Uber attorney in tow.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A lot of my Uber cash has been made from that EWR. At least once a day I find myself at the airport. The cops dont seem to mind you dropping off, but they do mind you picking up. Only on rare occasions do the cops bother you for dropping off and its usually because you dropped in front of them. So I suggest telling the passenger you cant drop in front of cops and find another level or to drop further off in the terminal. Only NY TLC plated vehicles seem to enjoy respect from the cops. My friend stated he is not bothered and picks up in front of the cops. Only danger is the $54 no standing ticket which is a parking ticket for the TLC driver.

The cops seem less prevalent in the morning although we did see them much earlier and in greater force in the morning today. The cops most certainly lock down the airport past 12pm. 4-5 cops and a vehicle for every departure terminal past 12pm. No way to fool the cops during those times no matter what you do. Dont even try. Sometimes they didnt give any warnings and just started writing no standing tickets to the people standing at the terminals. Usually they do give warnings, but sometimes they just start writing. Basically, if you see the cop moving towards you thats your warning and you have to move before they come within ear-shot. No escape from the blue&white so once you see that thing in the distance its time to leave. Dont wait for it to get any closer.

I found that many passengers are trained to use the upper levels for pickup and many drivers demand that only pickups can occur at the upper levels. Some new passengers to Uber or ones who have never been to that airport or ones with lots of luggage dont understand and may want you to pickup on the arrival level or bottom level. Nope dont try, insist on the departure or upper levels of Terminal C. In any event, there is absolutely no way to pickup with cops in the terminal whether that be arrival or departure. Absolutely no way even with them far off. If you can see the cops, they can see you so dont try if you see them.

The advantage of having TLC plates is you can just pickup in front of the cops unless you get a real dick who insists you have the Newark City permit. Most cops dont mind if you have the TLC plates.

·
Registered
48 Posts
spoke with a friend who is also TLC he says they are now getting ticket for not having some permit to pick up, just fyi

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you think so. When I go to Terminal C there are all kinds of vehicles with NJ limo plates and TLC plates that are not Uber picking up in front of cops and do not have the permit. They are not getting tickets.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I was there this morning around 7:3ish after a drop-off. Terminal C. They were definitely giving out tickets!

Like I said the PA are sick and tired of drivers just parking at the curb. You can hear it in their voice.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Like I said the PA are sick and tired of drivers just parking at the curb. You can hear it in their voice.
I just don't get it though. Why doesn't Uber do what they do in other airports and make a deal with the PA and create a first in first out basis so drivers can go to the cell phone lot and hang there waiting for a call instead of this cat and mouse game. I wouldn't stop at the curb other than drop off or pick up, even for family members. Sometimes they just have to pay to play, especially in the great garden state, we all know that.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was there this morning around 7:3ish after a drop-off. Terminal C. They were definitely giving out tickets!

If is a no standing zone than the ticket is normal. Is just for pick up or/and drop of. Since the price went up at EWR the traffic is worst. The cops have done nothing wrong. They do the same at Laguardia. They need to keep traffic moving for everybody to pick up and drop of in a safe and fast manner. Can please explain to me how is that a car licensed in a different state and a different town is ALOWED to pick up here!!!! I don t get it. Why Jersey and Conneticut are ok with that.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you have NY TLC plates the most you can get is the "No Standing" ticket which is $54. The "No Standing" ticket is a parking ticket.

A few people believe they are giving out the No Municipal Permit ticket to the NY TLC vehicles. Yes, this is possible, but I have heard from my buddy who is a TLC driver that he has picked up in front of the PA PD multiple times in Newark without issue. My personal observation in Terminal C is there are many vehicles with NJ Limo and NY TLC plates picking up without any issues. I do believe there is a Newark TLC detective(not a member of the PA PD) who occasionally works out of the Terminal C by the name of Gaston Adrien who may issue that kind of ticket and impound a vehicle, however, that type of operation is very occasional.

My experience is if you are alert, you see the officer on foot and can drive away before they get into ear shot you have no issue. Quite a few times I was able to drive off after seeing the officer on foot approaching me from far away without issue. However, if they get into ear-shot and they yell stop or signal stop with their hand you will get a ticket. One time I saw the cop out of my peripheral vision approaching my car from the side and instinctively hit the gas. I looked in the rear view and he simply turned around to go get another car.

If you drive off with a Blue&White SUV behind you there is a chance that SUV will follow you around the airport looking for a reason to pull you over. Therefore, its important to drive off when you see this SUV in the distance to reduce the chances of getting tailed around the airport. If you find this happening to you, drive like grandma and drive to the 7-11 gas station. When you pull into the gas station, they will either pull you over or drive on.

The PA PD cant just issue you the 4 Uber tickets unless they catch you in the act of loading or unloading the passengers or you admit to them that you are an Uber vehicle. The PA PD has to have a warrant to be able to use the cell phone app. They do use it, but they cant say they observed you on it in a court. You don't have to have a reason as to why you are "Standing" in a vehicle on airport property. Even if you obviously lie, tell them you are waiting for your buddy coming from Hawaii and they catch you in that lie they can only issue you the No Standing ticket. I would just tell the PA PD you are waiting for someone. When they ask who and what flight. Smile and politely tell the officer that is not their business and you will not say.

The best position in the terminal is not right up on the curb, but at the edges double-parked next to an adjacent vehicle. Therefore, when the PA PD decides to clear everyone out there is a buffer of cars giving you the chance to drive off. If you pull to the curb, other cars will trap you in and there is no buffer.

The younger officers do not give out breaks or warnings like the older officers. The older officers are a different breed and do give out warnings usually after they launch into a threatening speech. The younger officers follow their orders not letting anyone go. Everyone gets a ticket with the younger officer. The younger officers are especially viscous as they will go against the rules and just dish out the tickets without even asking if you are an Uber. That happened to me. I dropped off passengers, got the tickets and they neither asked me nor the passengers what we were doing.

Lastly, the PA PD can issue more tickets for things that are wrong with your vehicle or license. Understand that any trip to the airport may result in a police stop. Check yourself, your vehicle and your paperwork before you go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts