Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome! Where will you be driving? Hopefully not Waterville as Uber is not active up there yet. In general, I'd suggest starting out on a Sunday morning in an area your familiar with. Sunday mornings are great because there is very little traffic and passengers are generally quiet and easy to deal with, plus lots of demand if you can get out here between 8am-10am. After 10am it starts getting saturated with drivers so it's harder to get a request. When you get more comfortable driving you can try working weekday rush hours and late nights. The most lucrative time to drive, but also the most difficult, is Friday and Saturday after midnight downtown Portland.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding so quickly. No, I will not be working out of Waterville. I am planning on the Portland area a few days a week. Your pointers are greatly appreciated. I was unsure when the best time would be to take my first passenger, so Sunday mornings sound like a great idea. How are week days during morning and evening rush hour? Thank you again!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well...you really never know what you're going to get day to day. Checking the rider app before you head out is a good idea...if you see a ton of cars sitting idle all over town you're better off staying home. But, the very next day at the exact same time you might see surges everywhere and cars disappearing and reappearing over and over again for no apparent reason. Portland is weird. I personally have started avoiding Portland rush hours myself...too much traffic and too many short trips that earn $3.20 before gas, taxes etc to make it worth my while. Weekends are the best...evenings from 9pm-11pm and 12am-2am especially and Sunday mornings between 8am-10am are good. If you're out on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon hang out hear Fort Williams park in Cape Elizabeth (if you get cell service out there). It's a tourist hotspot and a great place to sit by the water and wait for a ping.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm new to Uber and have not taken a passenger yet. Being a female, are there any tips or suggestions before heading out? Thank you.
Hi Sheera, welcome! I live in Waterville but drive in Portland (1150 trips so far) Best to start doing it daytimes. Portland surges in the weekday mornings as well. This Monday July 4th will be great for surging esp. around the fireworks times. Best of luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, like life; everyday you will never know what to expect. Run the Uber app like your own business. Be safe, alert, courteous, and just be your self. Keep your car clean running well open doors dress professional. I have been doing Uber for over 3 years and have done very well. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Opening doors and dressing professionally is not really necessary. I drive in my jeans or shorts and my Def Leppard shirt. I've even gone out in PJs before if I'm in bed and can't sleep so I'll log on to Uber and run out of bed and do a trip if I get a ping. I've never once opened a door for anyone - you'll find that the vast majority of passengers prefer to take care of themselves. They just want to get in your car, get to where they are going and get out. I've been on since Uber Portland launched in October 2014 with a 4.87 rating and my only "Issue" is a mistimed trip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm new to Uber and have not taken a passenger yet. Being a female, are there any tips or suggestions before heading out? Thank you.
Are you already in Portland when you'll be Ubering or driving all the way from Waterville? That's a lot of dead miles if you're not already here.

I've found that the best way to accustom oneself to Uber is to tap yourself on the head with a feather until you can find a tack hammer. Then slowly work your way through the range of 8oz to 16oz ball peen hammers. I myself am in full sledge hammer mode. I'm now attempting to go full Monty Python and have someone drop the one ton anvil upon my wretched self. Someone help me please. I only do this because it feels so damn good when I stop.

Please don't let this rant discourage you. Your results may vary. Best of luck.

P.S. I hate fun. That's why I "partner" with Uber!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the same position when I started. I signed up to drive and didn't jump right away due to concerns. I found that, like suggested above, starting in the day and in a familiar area is a good idea. I have yet to head out to Portland in the busy evening time but mostly due to working evenings at my primary job. A few things I do that make me feel a bit more comfortable. A) I always let someone know I'm out driving. Usually my boyfriend, but also friends I may be chatting with that day. B) I put my purse in the trunk. I have no need for it during a ride, and I feel like it just makes sense to have it tucked away. C) I usually unlock the doors after they auto lock once moving. This helps in two ways. 1 it makes it easier for riders to get out once we reach the destination and 2 it makes me feel better to know if I need to get out of the car I can do so quickly. Honestly all of this is more for piece of mind. I have had wonderful riders in my experience and these things may be over kill, but in todays day in age you never know. Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts