Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upfront fares for better choices
1 hour ago / Jacksonville

Driving with Uber has always been about flexibility, and now we’re offering you even more choice while you’re on the road. Starting next week, we’re testing upfront fares1 on trip requests so you can see exactly how much you’ll earn—and your rider’s destination—before accepting a trip.

We hope that with this additional information, you won’t have to do as much guesswork when you’re deciding how to spend your time. Helping to create a positive earning experience on our platform is something we take seriously, so we’ll monitor trends carefully and listen closely to feedback.
How upfront fares work
  • See exactly how much you’ll earn—and where you’ll be going—before accepting a trip.2 If your rider leaves a tip, it will be added at the end of their ride and you’ll see it on your trip receipt.
  • Upfront fares include the base fare3 and surge. The upfront fare will replace time and distance rates.
  • If a rider adds stops or changes their destination, or if the trip length changes, your fare will be updated. Any changes will be reflected on your trip receipt.
See other nearby trip requests
You can browse nearby requests to find trips you want.
  • Tap Available requests on the map screen and select all the trips that interest you.
  • Other drivers can be matched with available requests too, so you won’t get every request you pick.
  • Completed requests will still count toward your promotions.
During the pilot there will only be UberX trips listed on the available request screen. We hope to add Uber XL, Uber Comfort, and Uber Black trips to the available request screen soon.

Coming soon: see nearby earnings trends
Make the best call for where and when to drive with the earnings trends map. You’ll soon be able to see how much other drivers have historically earned on nearby trips.
Fares are getting adjusted
You’ll always see how much you’ll earn before you accept the trip request. The base fare will now vary depending on factors like pickup time and destination of the request. Since the base fare varies on factors like pickup time, it replaces the long pickup fee.4
We also want to make shorter trips more worth your time, so you’ll now earn more than you used to on shorter trips and less than you used to on longer trips.
We do not expect these changes to affect median earnings in your city, but your earnings may increase or decrease depending on the type of trips you take. See the example below to better understand how this update affects short and long trips.
These changes do not apply to Uber Black trips.

Short trip
Before
Distance: 5 miles
Time: 15 minutes

Total earnings:
$6.11

After

Total earnings:
$7.20

Long Trip
Before
Distance: 20 miles
Time: 30 minutes

Total earnings:
$15.74

After

Total earnings:
$14.18
This pilot is running in a number of cities. We look forward to hearing about what’s working well and what we can improve.
1Upfront fare and destination applies to UberX, UberXL, Uber Comfort, Uber Black, Uber WAV, Uber Assist, Uber Español, Uber Diamond, Uber Pet, and UberX Car Seat. Hourly trips are not included in this change.
2If a rider adds stops or changes their destination, or if the trip length changes, your fare will be updated, and this change will be reflected on the trip receipt.
3Tips, tolls, and any wait-time or other surcharges are not included in the fare that’s shown up front. Tolls, fees, surcharges, and any tips paid to you by riders will be remitted to you along with the fare upon final payout.
4The base fare will now vary based on factors like the amount of time it took to pick up the rider. This will replace the long pickup fee.

Posted by Uber
Category: Driver products

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
We are desperately short of drivers and after 7 years can't find our own a**to wipe so we are flinging chit at wall to see what sticks. Htf is reducing fares on long trips going to help. Plenty of missed flights from suburbs coming up

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if there is any pending legislation in these areas threatening to regulate Uber. They only do something to benefit the drivers if they have to. In California we began to see the upfront info as Uber's business model was challenged by AB5 and then Prop 22. With the passing of Prop 22 Uber knew they had carte blanche to exploit us as ruthlessly as possible and they tied trip info to acceptance, a real dick move which has resulted in drivers not knowing anything about the upcoming ride most of the time. So much for "flexibility and choice."

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if there is any pending legislation in these areas threatening to regulate Uber. They only do something to benefit the drivers if they have to.
I suspect Uber is doing this because they are having a difficult time getting drivers to log on these days. Better to have twenty drivers logged on in a market cherry-picking requests, than to have zero drivers doing the same. Uber can't make money if nobody is getting a ride.

It'll be interesting to see how many markets get this concept, and what impacts it might have on ridership in the "underprivileged" communities that currently make up the bulk of Uber's clientele. It will also be interesting to see if passengers start exploiting loopholes (i.e. changing their destination from longer distances to shorter distances) to make their ride requests more attractive.

I see a ton of problems with this, but no more than Uber already has. This is merely an act of re-arranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

·
25,510 Posts
This is fine. I do not want long trips anyhow. I prefer short ones. Now, if they show me the trips, I can pick the short or mediocre and leave the long trips for those guys who want them. I do not want them.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
This is fine. I do not want long trips anyhow. I prefer short ones.
I guess this is where things could get interesting. Most Uber drivers (but not all) will probably reject these eight-blocks-to-the-convenience-store-and-back rides that only pay a few dollars with virtually no tip 99% of the time. So, you're going to have hundreds of riders getting passed over every day in a given market. Eventually, word will get out that in order to entice drivers to accept a request, you must enter the ride as a longer trip...then change the destination once you've gained entry into the Uber.

This is going to create bedlam on a grand scale. Not only because drivers wanting longer rides will snap on the rider who quickly edits their destination, but because drivers like you (who want shorter runs) may never find one available, since many pax will be entering fake longer rides into the app. This will render the trip information completely useless in a significant number of instances.

Sure, some or even most riders will enter accurate information on their trip. However, I suspect at least 35% of Uber's low-class clientele will lie and cheat their way to a pick-up. That's a big chunk of passengers who are going to test the patience of a work force that has shown very little patience in recent months.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
I guess this is where things could get interesting. Most Uber drivers (but not all) will probably reject these eight-blocks-to-the-convenience-store-and-back rides that only pay a few dollars with virtually no tip 99% of the time. So, you're going to have hundreds of riders getting passed over every day in a given market. Eventually, word will get out that in order to entice drivers to accept a request, you must enter the ride as a longer trip...then change the destination once you've gained entry into the Uber.

This is going to create bedlam on a grand scale. Not only because drivers wanting longer rides will snap on the rider who quickly edits their destination, but because drivers like you (who want shorter runs) may never find one available, since many pax will be entering fake longer rides into the app. This will render the trip information completely useless in a significant number of instances.

Sure, some or even most riders will enter accurate information on their trip. However, I suspect at least 35% of Uber's low-class clientele will lie and cheat their way to a pick-up. That's a big chunk of passengers who are going to test the patience of a work force that has shown very little patience in recent months.
Quite possible. Consider pax today have evolved to adding stops after the ride is accepted, and often they wait until the driver has arrived.

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's going to be interesting. We got more airport drivers then anything now it seems. Even if it never seems to hit 20 in que.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Quite possible. Consider pax today have evolved to adding stops after the ride is accepted, and often they wait until the driver has arrived.
I really don't think Uber's new approach is going to solve many problems. They have too many bad-faith passengers looking for a cheap ride with ridiculous demands, and too many irritated drivers engaged in a futile effort to chase down a fast buck. Something is going to give no matter how much they dress it up. Uber has created an adversarial framework between their customer and the driver.

Until they change that framework, problems will just migrate from one side of the equation to the other.

·
25,510 Posts
You raise some points that are worthy of consideration and not without validity.

Most Uber drivers (but not all) will probably reject these eight-blocks-to-the-convenience-store-and-back rides that only pay a few dollars with virtually no tip 99% of the time.
Even I will reject the brew run, Seven-Eleven run, pizza joint run. I do not do round trip locals as you do not get paid for the flip-flop. If, however, they want only one way, I will accept it.

So, you're going to have hundreds of riders getting passed over every day in a given market
That will occur, yes. I will pass over the short trips and the round trips. Most others will pass over the locals. I will be one of the few drivers who are looking for locals.

. Eventually, word will get out that in order to entice drivers to accept a request, you must enter the ride as a longer trip...then change the destination once you've gained entry into the Uber.

They do similar when they call a cab. Tell the operator that you are going to the airport then when the driver gets there, tell him that you are going to__________________________. I used to tell my cab passengers who were staying at hotels and flying out of Dulles or Friendship Airports to tell the doorman that they were going to the train station. That way, the doorman would whistle up the first cab on the stand and would not sell the trip to one of his payola boys. The customer would not be charged what the driver paid to the doorman for the trip.

This is going to create bedlam on a grand scale. This will render the trip information completely useless in a significant number of instances
............not an invalid point. I wind up with no customers. Drivers evict customers so you have customers with no rides..

Sure, some or even most riders will enter accurate information on their trip. However, I suspect at least 35% of Uber's low-class clientele will lie and cheat their way to a pick-up.
If my experience in the cab business is any guide, the majority will give accurate information. There will, however, be enough who give inaccurate information to create large scale problems. Regardless of whether your figure is accurate or not, the number will be high enough that there will be more complaints than Uber would like.

That's a big chunk of passengers who are going to test the patience of a work force that has shown very little patience in recent months.
.............................if ever..............................................

·
25,510 Posts
Consider pax today have evolved to adding stops after the ride is accepted, and often they wait until the driver has arrived.
I have noticed that more customers are adding stops after you accept. That is an automatic cancel. I have had one or two add stops once I start the trip.. Some will announce before they do it. I tell them that the ride ends either right here or at the first "stop". If they add and say nothing, I remark on the stop. They acknowledge. I inform them that I can end the ride immediately or at the first "stop"; their choice.
I make it clear to the customer that I do not do stops.

If the customer wants to get wise and offer a cash tip, that changes things. The offer of an in-application tip is not sufficient.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Upfront fares for better choices
1 hour ago / Jacksonville

View attachment 610922
Driving with Uber has always been about flexibility, and now we’re offering you even more choice while you’re on the road. Starting next week, we’re testing upfront fares1 on trip requests so you can see exactly how much you’ll earn—and your rider’s destination—before accepting a trip.

We hope that with this additional information, you won’t have to do as much guesswork when you’re deciding how to spend your time. Helping to create a positive earning experience on our platform is something we take seriously, so we’ll monitor trends carefully and listen closely to feedback.
How upfront fares work
  • See exactly how much you’ll earn—and where you’ll be going—before accepting a trip.2 If your rider leaves a tip, it will be added at the end of their ride and you’ll see it on your trip receipt.
  • Upfront fares include the base fare3 and surge. The upfront fare will replace time and distance rates.
  • If a rider adds stops or changes their destination, or if the trip length changes, your fare will be updated. Any changes will be reflected on your trip receipt.
See other nearby trip requests
You can browse nearby requests to find trips you want.
  • Tap Available requests on the map screen and select all the trips that interest you.
  • Other drivers can be matched with available requests too, so you won’t get every request you pick.
  • Completed requests will still count toward your promotions.
During the pilot there will only be UberX trips listed on the available request screen. We hope to add Uber XL, Uber Comfort, and Uber Black trips to the available request screen soon.

Coming soon: see nearby earnings trends
Make the best call for where and when to drive with the earnings trends map. You’ll soon be able to see how much other drivers have historically earned on nearby trips.
Fares are getting adjusted
You’ll always see how much you’ll earn before you accept the trip request. The base fare will now vary depending on factors like pickup time and destination of the request. Since the base fare varies on factors like pickup time, it replaces the long pickup fee.4
We also want to make shorter trips more worth your time, so you’ll now earn more than you used to on shorter trips and less than you used to on longer trips.
We do not expect these changes to affect median earnings in your city, but your earnings may increase or decrease depending on the type of trips you take. See the example below to better understand how this update affects short and long trips.
These changes do not apply to Uber Black trips.

Short trip
Before

Total earnings:
$6.11

After

Total earnings:
$7.20

Long Trip
Before

Total earnings:
$15.74

After

Total earnings:
$14.18
This pilot is running in a number of cities. We look forward to hearing about what’s working well and what we can improve.
1Upfront fare and destination applies to UberX, UberXL, Uber Comfort, Uber Black, Uber WAV, Uber Assist, Uber Español, Uber Diamond, Uber Pet, and UberX Car Seat. Hourly trips are not included in this change.
2If a rider adds stops or changes their destination, or if the trip length changes, your fare will be updated, and this change will be reflected on the trip receipt.
3Tips, tolls, and any wait-time or other surcharges are not included in the fare that’s shown up front. Tolls, fees, surcharges, and any tips paid to you by riders will be remitted to you along with the fare upon final payout.
4The base fare will now vary based on factors like the amount of time it took to pick up the rider. This will replace the long pickup fee.

Posted by Uber
Category: Driver products
Interesting. I hope it comes here.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Let’s see how it goes but that decrease in longer trips is already troubling. Also I will not trust that destination until it is proven. I got burned so many times where 45 min southwest was swapped with quick stop at the bank going to 45 min northwest.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts