Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way Uber redesigned its riders' app is very unfavorable to Uber Black Partners. Since the newly redesigned app was introduced we have seen a huge reduction in the number of riders requests from the city and surrounding counties. It is almost impossible to get any Uber Black trip request from Downtown Saint Louis, Central West End, Clayton or anywhere except the Airport where Black Cars are the only available option. The reason is very simple. The people in charge of running this company are undermining it by sabotaging the the Black cars that made Uber what it is today. Uber is losing drivers and riders in draws particularly in major cities where other competitors such as Lyft are present. They need redesign the app so that all the options show on the same page when a rider open the app . The current app only displays Uber X and Uber XL which makes most riders believe that there are no other Uber options available. If they really care about al the drivers they should change the app so that we all get the same edge.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Same issue in nyc. Same idiotic app. Its ok let it be this way. Uber keeps digging its grave. Remember they only care about member count. Topline revenue and margin take back seat. Its a technology company apparantly. They think they could be like facebook

·
Premium Member
62,899 Posts
Same issue in nyc. Same idiotic app. Its ok let it be this way. Uber keeps digging its grave. Remember they only care about member count. Topline revenue and margin take back seat. Its a technology company apparantly. They think they could be like facebook
And now for an additional 50¢ your Uber eats driver will take out your garbage !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke to friends in different cities who were among the first people to drive for Uber. They all complain about the same issues. Unfortunately no one seems to pay attention. I really doubt it if Uber will last long.

·
Banned
8,571 Posts
It's different by city but mine is uber x & uber pool then SLIDE for uber select or uber black then SLIDE for uber XL or uber SUV then SLIDE for uber taxi : assist or wav

I spoke to friends in different cities who were among the first people to drive for Uber. They all complain about the same issues. Unfortunately no one seems to pay attention. I really doubt it if Uber will last long.
Eight years and counting
The problem now is they're like Walmart--Walmart left a few cities and the ending result was a huge loss of income for the folks there that worked at Walmart and before you say it

Uber may be cheap but folks are still making pennies for income and pennies I guess is better then nothing or doing something else besides uber because they'll be doing something else besides uber (if there were viable options)

Reactions: Fubernuber

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It's different by city but mine is uber x & uber pool then SLIDE for uber select or uber black then SLIDE for uber XL or uber SUV then SLIDE for uber taxi : assist or wav

Eight years and counting
The problem now is they're like Walmart--Walmart left a few cities and the ending result was a huge loss of income for the folks there that worked at Walmart and before you say it

Uber may be cheap but folks are still making pennies for income and pennies I guess is better then nothing or doing something else besides uber because they'll be doing something else besides uber (if there were viable options)
In certain cities uber destroyed a way of life and well paying jobs. In other cities they created crappy paying jobs. There is no silver lining when it comes to uber

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Ugh read your post and feel your pain. Uber would rather promote Pool and get marketshare than black and actually make money. It's shameful really

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
It affected everything, Select, XL and SUV.

Some riders think their only options are Pool and X. Terrible design choice put those in different pages rather than on one like it used to be.,

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
In some markets (orlando particular) i can't wiggle uber X numbers to actually hit minimum wage without throwing something ridiculous in. I guarantee that in some markets, these drivers are better off working at Walmart and McDonald's. I can NOT make the math work out, it just can't be done. And you can't depend on having surge fares all the time. The problem is that vehicle expenses are not easily tangible to most people and you might get hit with $5000 in the form of a check engine light.

Using Orlando's prices for X...

48c a mile 8 c a minute (the driver cut)

16c a mile car expenses (YES I'M USING 16C a MILE! This is the lowest absolute joke of a number of operating expenses there is)

50% miles are paid (you can NOT hit this in orlando)

32c Per paid mile in costs (half of miles are paid, the cost per mile of operating a vehicle is 16c so double that for paid mile costs)

So with a profit margin of 16c per paid mile and 8c per minute a customer is in the car...

You would need 37.7 PAID highway miles (At 60 MPH) with a customer or 28.8 miles at 30 MPH to hit Florida minimum wage at X rates.

With 50% paid mileage 37.7 highway miles you need to be driving at speeds that are illegal and unsafe for the remainder of the hour (IE driving 37.7 miles back to orlando in 22.3 minutes which for the sake of the math, 101 miles per hour. So this example of hitting minimum wage fore one hour violates basic safety laws.

28.8 miles driven at 30 MPH gives the drive a profit of $9.05 for an hour's worth of driving, with no pay for the return trip, also impossible to hit minimum wage. The return drive would lower the profit per hour down to $4.025.

Unless someone wants to argued 50% paid mileage and operating a car on 16c a mile is too high? If you think it's possible to get more than half of your miles being paid.. or operating a car for less than 16c a mile? Minimum wage is un-achievable.

It's not possible to make minimum wage in some markets.

Some of these drivers would be better off NOT working for uber. and doing literally anything else. They just don't know it yet.

Reactions: EJ314

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I saw this I knew it was deliberate on uber fuhrer's part. They want to phase out high end cars and passengers because that isn't where the money is now. It has been turned into a giant cab company with a monopoly and the resulting crappier cars and lowest common denominator drivers and passengers. I haven't bothered signing up for black because of all the extortion from state, local and airport scumbags when uberlyft are exempt. I was receiving a good number of select calls before the change and now almost nothing. The silly millennial happy face graphics appeal to the illiterate entitled children who were raised on such crap. When I point it out to people they don't even realize there's another page to swipe to the left and those few select passengers haven't updated the app for whatever reason and are oblivious. Forget ubershwarz in this town.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Another result of this is that drivers on select and black having to drop down to lower platforms to make ends meet. Now you have folks getting a select car at x rates or a black car at select rates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another result of this is that drivers on select and black having to drop down to lower platforms to make ends meet. Now you have folks getting a select car at x rates or a black car at select rates.
Right on point. I personally know Black Car drivers who also signed up for X so that can make up for their loss. However that only benefits Uber and the Riders.

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
I agree the layout is dumb.

In my city there is only UberX, UberXL, and UberSki.

I am UberX and UberSki. I have a different vehicle I drive for UberSki. UberSki shows up on page 2.

I rarely drive the vehicle approved for UberSki, but I keep getting people with snowboards/skis in my UberX vehicle that has no rack for them. I have asked the pax if they were aware of UberSki and they have all said "no."

I don't think it is a conspiracy against Black/Ski drivers. I think it is just crappy design. There is no benefit to Uber to making these options unknown. Uber makes more money when they can get their elite clientele and get the higher fares.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't think it is a conspiracy against Black/Ski drivers. I think it is just crappy design. There is no benefit to Uber to making these options unknown. Uber makes more money when they can get their elite clientele and get the higher fares.
I think if Uber could team up with some kind of "tech company" they could improve the app. Ohh wait a minute, Uber is a "tech company". They just don't know much about technology, but they sure know a lot about the livery business.

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
It's not possible to make minimum wage in some markets.

Some of these drivers would be better off NOT working for uber. and doing literally anything else. They just don't know it yet.
I know some nights I make less than minimum wage after expenses. I'd still rather drive my car for $6 per hour than get paid $8.25 to ask people if they would like fries with that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts