Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There!

I starting driving for Uber last weekend and loved it. I moved to the area almost a year ago and haven't been out much to see the city or meet new people and figured this would be a good way to do it while making a little extra change. I've met some really incredible people...they don't tip....but still incredible. Last weekend I had a lot of riders in the downtown Raleigh Area. Drop offs. Driving at 2am and picking up drunk riders gives me anxiety. With the WWE event being in my residential area on Sunday evening, I really thought I'd get a lot of riders but I got zero going to the PNC Arena. Found that strange.

When in a high demand area, do you experienced drivers find it better to sit at your last drop off location until you receive another ping or do you drive around?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi SheUbers.

I'm a new driver myself (have yet to take any rides due to some insurance quibbles), but I'm glad to hear you're having a good experience so far. That makes me feel a lot more optimistic about getting started. I also don't know much of the area at all outside of Chapel Hill, despite the fact I've lived here for over 2 years now, so you aren't alone there!

When you say that driving at 2 AM and picking up drunkies gives you anxiety, does that mean that you haven't actually done that yet? That's a big concern from my perspective, too. I just bought this car I'm going to be driving with and I don't want it barfed in.

I'm not surprised that the WWE thing didn't pan out a lot of business. This might be judgmental on my part, but I don't get the sense that WWE fans are the type to take Uber.

As for your question, I've read on here and in other places that the better idea is to stay put until you get another ride request so that you minimize your dead miles/wear and tear on your car/gas costs, unless of course a pax took you to an area that doesn't have any business.

How much money do you think you made (or lost) driving last weekend? I'm thinking that Moogfest this weekend will be a good opportunity to make some cash in the area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi SheUbers.

I'm a new driver myself (have yet to take any rides due to some insurance quibbles), but I'm glad to hear you're having a good experience so far. That makes me feel a lot more optimistic about getting started. I also don't know much of the area at all outside of Chapel Hill, despite the fact I've lived here for over 2 years now, so you aren't alone there!

When you say that driving at 2 AM and picking up drunkies gives you anxiety, does that mean that you haven't actually done that yet? That's a big concern from my perspective, too. I just bought this car I'm going to be driving with and I don't want it barfed in.

I'm not surprised that the WWE thing didn't pan out a lot of business. This might be judgmental on my part, but I don't get the sense that WWE fans are the type to take Uber.

As for your question, I've read on here and in other places that the better idea is to stay put until you get another ride request so that you minimize your dead miles/wear and tear on your car/gas costs, unless of course a pax took you to an area that doesn't have any business.

How much money do you think you made (or lost) driving last weekend? I'm thinking that Moogfest this weekend will be a good opportunity to make some cash in the area.
Thanks for the reply. No, I have not gone online at 2am. I was an Uber rider for the first time during the Beyonce concert and my driver told me a couple of horror stories about people throwing up. I don't want to risk that and just for safety reasons. I'd rather transport to the bars than from the bars.

I didn't make a ton of money at all. $120 for 16 completed trips. Not sure how many miles total. I have to start keeping track of that. My longest trip was from a hotel by RDU to Duke University. I actually really enjoyed the experience though and had a lot of fun with a few passengers.

I'll be out of town this weekend so will miss out on Moogfest. Hope you are able to drive in time for that.
I've downloaded the Lyft app as well and will meet with the inspector next week. We'll see how that goes.

I'm also wondering how drivers are aware if they are receiving a surge ping? Is there something I'm missing when my phone pings?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks for the reply. No, I have not gone online at 2am. I was an Uber rider for the first time during the Beyonce concert and my driver told me a couple of horror stories about people throwing up. I don't want to risk that and just for safety reasons. I'd rather transport to the bars than from the bars.

I didn't make a ton of money at all. $120 for 16 completed trips. Not sure how many miles total. I have to start keeping track of that. My longest trip was from a hotel by RDU to Duke University. I actually really enjoyed the experience though and had a lot of fun with a few passengers.

I'll be out of town this weekend so will miss out on Moogfest. Hope you are able to drive in time for that.
I've downloaded the Lyft app as well and will meet with the inspector next week. We'll see how that goes.

I'm also wondering how drivers are aware if they are receiving a surge ping? Is there something I'm missing when my phone pings?
When you are within a surge area you will get a ping that shows the surge amount rate at the bottom so lets say you pick up Jimmy and Jimmy sends his request it gives his rating 4.7 or etc and next to ikt it will show an amount if you are within the surge area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you are within a surge area you will get a ping that shows the surge amount rate at the bottom so lets say you pick up Jimmy and Jimmy sends his request it gives his rating 4.7 or etc and next to ikt it will show an amount if you are within the surge area.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,400 Posts

The reason why you got the suggestion "quit" , there's little to no money to be made. I will guess that you were driving for 8 hours and went maybe 150 miles to get the $120. Don't know what you drive but I do know that it doesn't leave you a lot of room after expenses. If we assome that cost of ownership for your car is .30 a mile, you have $75. left after expenses. Is it worth it to drive and take that risk for $9 an hour or so? Many days you will make a good bit less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm glad newish people are coming straight to this forum....... It is depressing... but a good place to learn.
I agree that it's been a fantastic place to learn about the ins and outs, but why do you say it's depressing?

Is it because you can't believe that people are still signing up to drive? I understand the money isn't anything like what it used to be-and this may be my naiveté showing-but it doesn't seem like it's a bad gig if you learn how to play the game correctly and don't take stupid trips, etc.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I only drive for Gruber..... and I only drive days. So I can only speak to my experience with them. The depressing part of the equation for me is how Uber operates as a company (on many levels) not the least of which is their dreadful customer support. Playing the game correctly is very difficult when you only drive X and drive during the daytime hours.

·
Premium Member
9,400 Posts
I agree that it's been a fantastic place to learn about the ins and outs, but why do you say it's depressing?

Is it because you can't believe that people are still signing up to drive? I understand the money isn't anything like what it used to be-and this may be my naiveté showing-but it doesn't seem like it's a bad gig if you learn how to play the game correctly and don't take stupid trips, etc.
How do you play the game correctly? The only way to be assured of it is to only drive from roughly 1:30 to 3 in the morning on Saturday. That's about the only sure thing there is and they are trying to screw that up. Not taking stupid trips. You never know where they are going and how short a ride it is till they saunter their little behinds out to the car and you start the trip. If you try to call ahead and screen them, your ratings will take a hit and you won't be driving for long. So yes there are some tips and tricks that will help but the inescapable constraint of driving X for .70 a mile before Uber's cut ensures you will not do well.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts

Font Measuring instrument Slope Circle Electronic device

1 - 20 of 21 Posts