Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys ,

Just a bought a Camry Hybrid for Uber and family purposes , tried getting a quote from Coles , once I mentioned that car is being used for business purposes ( i selected 'hire car' option' ) , Coles refused to me a quote saying product is not available for me.

Was wondering what other options I have and Do you guys mention that it will be used for business (read Uber) while getting an quote from insurance companies ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi guys ,

Just a good a Camry Hybrid for Uber and family purposes , tried getting a quote from Coles , once I mentioned that car is being used for business purposes ( i selected 'hire car' option' ) , Coles refused to me a quote saying product is not available for me.

Was wondering what other options I have and Do you guys mention that it will be used for business (read Uber) while getting an quote from insurance companies ?
Have a good search through this forum and you will find the answer. If and when you find an insurer willing to insure you, read the PDS very carefully. They all exclude transport of passengers for reward. If you decide to go ahead anyway on Uber's promises, just remember, if an insurer ever declines you and you go to Uber, as Uber suggest, you will likely never get insurance again or pay a huge loading, maybe impacting on all vehicles you ever insure.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As sc00badiva mentioned, don't even bother approaching 90% of insurance companies - they won't touch Uber drivers with a 40 foot pole. Best bet is just drive for Uber, hope you don't have a crash and if you do, hope to hell that Ubers "got your back". If they don't pay out you are essentially between a rock and a hard place - you can lie to your insurance provider (I don't suggest this) or tell the truth to your insurance provider (I don't suggest this either as they'll deny the claim and it's on your insurance permanent record). You need to just stand your ground and tell Uber they are responsible and if they don't pay, then see if you can get a big media company to pay for your repairs in return for blowing the whistle on Uber and their insurance which they won't put in writing for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that guys but I can not leave car without insurance , its not safe spec when i am using it family purposes.
What i want to know is which insurance co shall i try . Shall just apply for comprehensive insurance and do not tell me that I will use car for Uber ??? Hope , I am making sense.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I understand that guys but I can not leave car without insurance , its not safe spec when i am using it family purposes.
What i want to know is which insurance co shall i try . Shall just apply for comprehensive insurance and do not tell me that I will use car for Uber ??? Hope , I am making sense.
Look for a post/thread from Danny Driveshare there's a name and number for a dude at Elders in SA. I've chatted to him and seems like a good person to do business with.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
NRMA 'Business' use with 'Special Occasion Hire' registered for GST credits and must inform them specifically about driving for Uber, they've gone on file to say they'll cover occassional drivers not fulltime (undocumented; upto 20hrs online)

·
Registered
295 Posts
NRMA 'Business' use with 'Special Occasion Hire' registered for GST credits and must inform them specifically about driving for Uber, they've gone on file to say they'll cover occassional drivers not fulltime (undocumented; upto 20hrs online)
Unfortunately NRMA won't insure Victorian drivers... I'm hoping RACV insurance might come up with something. I'd pay commercial insurance if I could (depending on cost). The Elders policy sounds like it's getting close to what I would want... I should get in touch with that fella again, try to learn more... but commercial insurance for UberX drivers is what's really needed here...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just looked at my RACQ insurance policy. I am not covered for paying passengers. So Uber has misled me and even though I haven't driven for 3 weeks now after they refused a clean up fee, now I will not be going back.

They told me at sign up my insurance covered me. Just another lie from them. The money is a joke anyway....$30 an hour. Bullshit. I own my 2012 Holden Cruze outright but its being worn out and trashed by disrespectful passengers and as a contarctor to UberX I am not going to run my car into the ground for about $15 an hour after expenses.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Just looked at my RACQ insurance policy. I am not covered for paying passengers. So Uber has misled me and even though I haven't driven for 3 weeks now after they refused a clean up fee, now I will not be going back.

They told me at sign up my insurance covered me. Just another lie from them. The money is a joke anyway....$30 an hour. Bullshit. I own my 2012 Holden Cruze outright but its being worn out and trashed by disrespectful passengers and as a contarctor to UberX I am not going to run my car into the ground for about $15 an hour after expenses.
Yep, that about sums up the reality of Uber!

What were the details around the clean up fee, any reason they refused?

Did you incur any Uber income post Aug 1st?

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts

Just noticed your GST registered.

It would be better in your case not to claim any vehicle expenses for this financial year, Fuel, Maintenance, anything car related otherwise you'll pay and remit 1/11 GST of the sale price when you sell that vehicle if still registered for GST. Keep in mind GST registration usually has to stay active for at least one year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.