Uber Drivers Forum banner

New to Uber

3K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  DelaJoe 
#1 ·
Hi, I just signed up for UBER as a driver. I have a PRIUS, and a 5YO that's been in the back since she was 3. Imagine once I removed her car seat the eww factor.

Anywho- I had my car cleaned, but I'm going to call the company, as they did a terrible job for $150.00 + tip. I spent 3 hours cleaning the upholstery the other day, and much better than what it was, but I can't get some marks out.

Then I thought I need to cover the back anyway, but I can't find a decent cover that doesn't look like tarp.

Any advice here will be greatly appreciated, I don't want to get a low rating in my first month, so what are the odds on people choosing a Prius?

Please excuse my grammar, I'm starting up today, and I'm nervous and hope all goes well. I've gotten much negative opinions from family and friends about doing this, and I'm hoping to prove them wrong. It's a rainy day, and I'm hoping to get a few riders.

Thank you for reading.

#2 ·
Try a halfway decent fitted seat cover set for maybe $200-300 (search Internet for various brands). You want something that doesn't show dirt and will be easy to wipe off spills / puke or whatever. Also vinyl/rubber type floor mats that cover as much of the floor as possible are good for similar reasons.

On the other hand, you could just leave it as is. If it's already scuffed up you won't feel so bad after pax make a further mess of it.

#10 ·
Don't take any rides that are less than a 2x surge. Otherwise you won't make any money. Don't drive drunken people no matter what you read or hear. If you do you'll be sorry. Puking in the car could be the least of your worries if you do. I'm a pretty strong athletic guy and I had one serious problem with a drunk guy. I don't know how a woman would have handled it. That was my last drunk ever. Don't expect tips unless you look like a super model and dress provocatively.

#11 ·
Well first thing unless I missed it is what area of jersey are you planning on driving?? That in my opinion is the most important . Second is why? Third is this just for supplemental income or are you planning on doing this full time . What hours or days do you plan on driving? You have to have realistic expectations on what type of income you can make versus what you expect. Also you need a EZ Pass

#14 ·
Hey I really am diggin' this gig. I figured I'd get out and take a couple rides, and left around 6:30. All local, all within the same area, and I stopped at 8:00.

I was getting an alert within seconds after drop off, and did a small total of 5 just to get a feel of how this works. I'll use common sense when it comes to riders, my intuition is pretty good. I was told by one of the drivers that I'm only the second woman to drive him, and he uses uber every day. Not many woman?

Also- we don't know what the destination is going to be when we accept a ride? Or is there something I'm missing. That would be great.

All and all good first run. Looking forward to having some extra cash in my pocket and yes this is an only for a little extra, and not intending on making a career doing this.

Oh and my Prius is 3 years old, not 5. Not sure what that comment meant?

#17 ·
Hey I really am diggin' this gig. I figured I'd get out and take a couple rides, and left around 6:30. All local, all within the same area, and I stopped at 8:00.

I was getting an alert within seconds after drop off, and did a small total of 5 just to get a feel of how this works. I'll use common sense when it comes to riders, my intuition is pretty good. I was told by one of the drivers that I'm only the second woman to drive him, and he uses uber every day. Not many woman?

Also- we don't know what the destination is going to be when we accept a ride? Or is there something I'm missing. That would be great.

All and all good first run. Looking forward to having some extra cash in my pocket and yes this is an only for a little extra, and not intending on making a career doing this.

Oh and my Prius is 3 years old, not 5. Not sure what that comment meant?
No you do not know the destination of your drop off until you start the trip. I ended up in Newark today over an hour away from where I was on what was supposed to be my last trip because I needed to be somewhere.
One of the few changes Uber made that I like is as I was 4 minutes away from dropping someone off sat train station I got pinged to pick someone up there.
Are you in shore area?

#24 ·
People like me do it anyway because we are brave and we need the money. Just be smart about pickups and drop-offs. I never pick up at the airport because I don't want conflict with glorified security guards (port authority cops). I drop off at the airport almost everyday and never have a problem

#25 · (Edited)
He saying that because the rates are too low and you can't get tipped. From Hoboken to Newark Airport you won't even get $15. Toll reimbursements don't count as income unless you're going into NYC. Uber will charge customers 20 bucks but Crossing into New York City is cheaper than 20 so you keep the rest. Another great tip is to never go to New York City during traffic hours. Whenever you get a request during traffic time send a message to all your customers telling them you can't go into New York City and if they are going into New York City they need to cancel and request another ride. You cannot pick up in New York City and trying to get back into New Jersey will be like pulling teeth because of all the traffic. You will lose money going into the city during traffic hours. However if they are requesting from a place like Upper Saddle River I think it's okay to take them to New York City during traffic time because there will be a lot of miles on that trip. I personally don't like to take anybody to New York City during traffic hours unless it's a good 15 + mile ride.

#27 ·
The best ways for you to make money is to do split shifts. I'm not sure if you're doing it full-time or part-time but the best times to make money are 4 a.m. to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday and 3 to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Work 3pm to 11am on Friday too. You'll be busy. If you don't want to deal with drunks work until 10 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. If you start driving before 4 p.m. you need to drive in Hudson County because Bergen County is someone quiet on weekends. Time is money so Hoboken and Jersey city are the places to be if you start driving in the early afternoon on Saturday and Sundays. Sign up for Lyft too to minimize your downtime. If you need a promotion code I can send you mine so that way we can both make money. However Lyft is only really popular in Hudson County and Newark. It is growing in Bergen County however it still needs more work. Anytime you have downtime run both apps and always take a Lyft request over an Uber request because Lyft pays better and you can receive tips

If you split shifts like I said you can probably make 125 or more a day. You could make more but I think uber might be taking 25 percent commission on all rides

#28 ·
If you take pool or Lyft line customers you need to let them know what they ordered and tell them you can't make extra stops and you can't guarantee anything with time if they are in a rush. You might have to pick up more customers. Sometimes customers order pool by mistake. They get the discount because they are sacrificing their time and sharing a vehicle with a stranger.

#33 ·
EWR, JFK, and LaGuardia with the Uber sticker in your window and/or the Lyft pink mustache. Preferably the Lyft pink mustache. Lyft and Uber are allowed to block traffic, hence the identifying symbols, in case you have to double park for 10 or 15 minutes waiting for your passenger. No tickets, as long as you are picking up only. Lyft and Uber are allowed to talk on cell while driving for business purposes only. Terminal A is the best. Since you are out of N. Jersey, you could make over $1,500/wk part time.

#37 ·
Thank you all for the advice and tips.

I can absolutely see why many are frustrated with UBER and their ethics for us as their drivers taking a lot of crap from customers for bare minimum (factoring time, UBER's cut, and our out of pocket expenses). Yesterday wasn't as good of a day, I had only 4 drivers (one fairly long ride as my last that made it somewhat worth getting out there), including 2 that kept me waiting close to 8 minutes, and one that potentionally may have missed her train after my navigation was telling me the destination, and she proceeded to turn on google maps which in turn confused the hell out of me. There's many train stops in the area that we're in, but once I turned around (per her request) she insisted on getting out and ran toward the assumed, and I hope correct station. I felt really bad and I even offered to drive her to a park and ride on my dime.

That set the tone of my late noon run that I was hoping to make at least $100.00. I was all kinds of nervous after that. I really shouldn't have been, after all she was the one to set the destination, as well as knew that if your train is to depart at 5:00 PM, pinging a driver in a heavy traffic area should have been done at least an hour prior just to be sure.

Then I drove 15 minutes toward my next ping, and she comes out with mother (mother in-law?) husband, and an infant car seat. I looked at the destination and it was in the city. I had to cancel as I'm not comfortable driving a baby in to the city, and I know how seriously I take car seat safety and that seat was not up to par without the base to latch on. They were pissed, and I apologized as I spoke the truth that #1- I'm not sure if I'm allowed to take passengers under 18 (I looked all over TOS and rules regarding that before signing up), #2, my car is really only a 4 passenger although I could squeeze an extra back there with the extra seatbelt (just not with uber passengers) #3- As a mother myself, I for one wouldn't feel safe if someone told me they weren't comfortable driving with my baby in to the city.

I'm only planning on doing this for a few hours during the weekend, and a few hours during the week after my husband gets home from work, but I'm not so sure about this gig. Hopefully later on today will bring a better day.

#40 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the advice and tips.

I can absolutely see why many are frustrated with UBER and their ethics for us as their drivers taking a lot of crap from customers for bare minimum (factoring time, UBER's cut, and our out of pocket expenses). Yesterday wasn't as good of a day, I had only 4 drivers (one fairly long ride as my last that made it somewhat worth getting out there), including 2 that kept me waiting close to 8 minutes, and one that potentionally may have missed her train after my navigation was telling me the destination, and she proceeded to turn on google maps which in turn confused the hell out of me. There's many train stops in the area that we're in, but once I turned around (per her request) she insisted on getting out and ran toward the assumed, and I hope correct station. I felt really bad and I even offered to drive her to a park and ride on my dime.

That set the tone of my late noon run that I was hoping to make at least $100.00. I was all kinds of nervous after that. I really shouldn't have been, after all she was the one to set the destination, as well as knew that if your train is to depart at 5:00 PM, pinging a driver in a heavy traffic area should have been done at least an hour prior just to be sure.

Then I drove 15 minutes toward my next ping, and she comes out with mother (mother in-law?) husband, and an infant car seat. I looked at the destination and it was in the city. I had to cancel as I'm not comfortable driving a baby in to the city, and I know how seriously I take car seat safety and that seat was not up to par without the base to latch on. They were pissed, and I apologized as I spoke the truth that #1- I'm not sure if I'm allowed to take passengers under 18 (I looked all over TOS and rules regarding that before signing up), #2, my car is really only a 4 passenger although I could squeeze an extra back there with the extra seatbelt (just not with uber passengers) #3- As a mother myself, I for one wouldn't feel safe if someone told me they weren't comfortable driving with my baby in to the city.

I'm only planning on doing this for a few hours during the weekend, and a few hours during the week after my husband gets home from work, but I'm not so sure about this gig. Hopefully later on today will bring a better day.
Bit of advise...NEVER wait 8 minutes. If their butts are not in your car in 5 minutes, cancel, drive off, collect cancel fee. I do just that. I had a rider come out at 4m 30s. Then standing at his doorway, he started to smoke a cigarette. I calmly waited another 30 secs, with the window rolled up, called him, told him 5 minutes are up, hung up, cancelled ride, collected fee, drove off. All this, while he was about 40 feet from me, in full view of me. The only reason I called him is because it's a Lyft requirement, if you don't call pax after 5 minutes are up, you don't get cancel fee.

Get better at using GPS or your ratings are going to take a big big hit. If you're having signal issues, make sure your wifi is turned off, and power saving off. avoid using metal case.

You have to take babies as long as their parents have the child safety seat. If their car seat was defective, make sure you email Uber explaining why you rejected the ride before they do. so if they complain to UBEr, you won't get in trouble then.

You said you drove 15 minutes to ping. Personally, I never accept any requests more than 6 minutes away. If it's in a favorable direction, I extend it to 9 minutes. Never more than that. Reason is you won't even make half of minimum wage per hour, if you accept 15 minute away rides that are minimum fare, after deducting gas and depreciation.

#42 ·
I drive the weekends only during bar happy hour to closing. Because I have a newer car I keep my car doors locked. When a possible passenger approaches the car I roll down the window a little bit and ask their name and where they are going. The person does not know it but I am checking out to see how drunk the group is. I almost picked up an irate drunk from the Headliner one night. Called him to tell him that traffic was backed up. When he picked up OH MY GOD HE WAS SMASHED. I hung up on him and he cancelled the trip. He proceeded to keep calling me and trying to harass me. I just hung up on him.

I find that the BROS are ok to pick up but the INTOXICATED YOUNG GIRLS are the worst. Very bossy and obnoxious. I had to put a few in their place. Your in MY CAR! RESPECT THAT!!

G
#43 ·
I am a stay at home mom of two. I uber here and there. I won't pick up anyone if they are 7 minutes away. I also will not drive unless it's surging. Summer has been dead so not much surge, so I will do lyft here and there even though it's not much more. I do not drive in the city and so far haven't had any problems.

#45 ·
Bit of advise...NEVER wait 8 minutes. If their butts are not in your car in 5 minutes, cancel, drive off, collect cancel fee. I do just that. I had a rider come out at 4m 30s. Then standing at his doorway, he started to smoke a cigarette. I calmly waited another 30 secs, with the window rolled up, called him, told him 5 minutes are up, hung up, cancelled ride, collected fee, drove off. All this, while he was about 40 feet from me, in full view of me. The only reason I called him is because it's a Lyft requirement, if you don't call pax after 5 minutes are up, you don't get cancel fee.

Get better at using GPS or your ratings are going to take a big big hit. If you're having signal issues, make sure your wifi is turned off, and power saving off. avoid using metal case.

You have to take babies as long as their parents have the child safety seat. If their car seat was defective, make sure you email Uber explaining why you rejected the ride before they do. so if they complain to UBEr, you won't get in trouble then.

You said you drove 15 minutes to ping. Personally, I never accept any requests more than 6 minutes away. If it's in a favorable direction, I extend it to 9 minutes. Never more than that. Reason is you won't even make half of minimum wage per hour, if you accept 15 minute away rides that are minimum fare, after deducting gas and depreciation.
How do you know how long the ride will be?

Lovely feature we're not given when accepting called "destination".

#46 ·
One of the biggest reasons I stopped driving July 4th and have no plans on coming back, especially with where I live is absolutely flooded with drivers. At a minimum, we should get an ETA for the destination when we get our ping. Life is so much more relaxed away from the few bucks you make on Uber. You'll soon realize that.

#48 ·
It was a couple. They sat in the back. That's another thing, I've had a few couples and do they make Uber aware they are a party of 2?

I know when my son goes out with his friends, they use the suv and they all chip in $5.00 or so. I must admit I'm fairly glad for uber for keeping the kids safe. I don't think they'll call a cab when out, but uber is so ideal for them.

I didn't even go on the road yesterday. Not going this morning, and may go out later. If only us drivers were treated as well as the passenger. I'm kind of "meh" about it, but it's an option to make a couple bucks (not a fraction of how much I thought), but I feel for people that are in a position to need uber to survive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.