Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
I am planing to move to Chicago in September . Right now i have a vehicle (Civic- less than 40k miles) registered in Texas, can i uber in Chicago with the car using Texas plate? Being honest, i haven't registered to drive for Uber/ Lyft before. Also Chicago Lyft has Express drive ( let you rent a GM vehicle to drive just for Lyft) should i sell my car and pick that option?
Thanks so much for any kind words,
S.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are many of us who have live in Indiana with Indiana plates and have no problem driving in Chicago. I also hear of other out of state plates driving in Chicago. In regard to Express Drive with Lyft, read the Rideshare Guy's blog to get some good information about it. Apparently, you need to have 65+ trips per week to get the vehicle at no cost. Depending on the vehicle, there is weekly rate chart for the number of trips per week under 65. If you're moving to Chicago, why not just wait until you transfer your plates and registration, then sign up?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think there is a long waiting list for the GM car.

You don't need different plates to drive in Chicago.
I actually thought about doing it and went as far to make the appointment to pickup one of these cars. I changed my mind because, with a full time job I didn't want to screw up, I wasn't sure I could make the 65 rides per week to be able to drive "free". There really doesn't seem to be a problem getting one of these cars...they add them throughout the week and you just need to check the dashboard constantly until the popup appears to make an appointment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are many of us who have live in Indiana with Indiana plates and have no problem driving in Chicago. I also hear of other out of state plates driving in Chicago. In regard to Express Drive with Lyft, read the Rideshare Guy's blog to get some good information about it. Apparently, you need to have 65+ trips per week to get the vehicle at no cost. Depending on the vehicle, there is weekly rate chart for the number of trips per week under 65. If you're moving to Chicago, why not just wait until you transfer your plates and registration, then sign up?
Thanks so much HOOSIERGAL, You cleared my worry . It won't be hard for me to keep the texas DL and address ( my parent 's address, they ll help me with the mails ). I am not planing for ubering full-time either, basically staying in Chicago for minimum-paid research job for 6-9 months. I will register for uber in August and drive there then.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wasn't sure I could make the 65 rides per week to be able to drive "free"

That is ALOT more time than you think..
Hell, I've never made 65 trips in two weeks, so I was crazy to even consider it! I stop driving when I get tired or can't find a clean restroom, so ya' know how that goes....LOL!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lol. so we cross-off the Lyft express drive.
I did quite a bit of research on it, it seems like it might be a good deal, but only if you plan to drive full time. I was never able to find someone who actually did it, which concerned me. It's been awhile since I checked, but I believe insurance and maintenance is included and you only keep the car for two or three months. If I was ever out of job, I might try it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did quite a bit of research on it, it seems like it might be a good deal, but only if you plan to drive full time. I was never able to find someone who actually did it, which concerned me. It's been awhile since I checked, but I believe insurance and maintenance is included and you only keep the car for two or three months. If I was ever out of job, I might try it.
i just read this from another thread, definitely a NO-GO for me now
"65 divided by 7 is 9.28 rides a day. It's doable but you're sanity will suffer. and your sanitary too. Won't smell too good living in the car for 7 days"

https://uberpeople.net/threads/lyft-offering-up-to-free-rental-cars-for-65-trips-a-week.66629/page-6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts