Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Excuse me if this topic may have been covered but I haven't be able to find anything and I just heard the rules are all changing and coming in July?

I am looking at doing uber driving on the weekend for extra money.

I don't have a F-extension license and I haven't the medical and don't have a car that's (less than (years old).

I am looking at doing all of it now. Also planning at buying a new car.

I spoke to Uber in perth via their online chat and they mentioned the below;

All I need is;

A car as old as 9 Years or younger
Private insurance is fine??
Medical test & F-ext for my license
Police Clearance & Check

Now I have been hearing that all of this is going to change? Can anyone please guide me if I should or shouldn't bother with getting started with uber?

As I mentioned I'm looking at buying a new car and I was going to buy one to suit uber, if this isn't going to work out for me then I will just keep my current car and not to bother with it?

Please advice.

Thanks

K

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not worth it if you want to do weekend work only.

Most of what they will tell you at the UBER office is a lie.

Especially with no regulation coming up, all part-timers will almost certainly be phased out of driving as expenses will be too high.
On average full-time drivers earn between $8-14 per hour. On a weekend you will clear maybe $15 an hour after expenses (if you are lucky) - note: that this is only if you work between hours of 5-8 Fri/Sat and also 11PM-2AM Fri/Sat. Otherwise probably more like $7 an hour.

If you want extra cash, find something else to do...

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Buying a car for uber

No
No
No
No
No

Using your own car for Uber

Maybe, if you are happy actually earning $5 to $15 per hour

Ignore those that claim $40 an hour or $1700 a week

They fail at maths

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

I'm not really buying a car just for Uber driving however I'm due for a new car an thought i'd get something that will help be part of the uber drivers.

I have had a friend who just started and claimed to making $400 over two days on the weekend.

I have a full-time job already this really just for some extra cash on the weekend when I'm bored or want to make some extra money.

Reason why I have decided to become a uber driver because I haven't had much luck being able to find weekend work else where.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Make $400..

How many hours?
How many kms driven

At a guess

20 hours
400kms

So $400 minus fuel is now $350
Minus GST is now $300
Minus wear and tear is now $250
After tax.. $190ish

So as mentioned about $10 per hour...... or less

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So based on everyone's take, there is almost no point in becoming a uber driver if even hours aren't done.

Is there anyone who is doing this part-time on the weekend who thinks it's worth it or not?

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
If by "new" you mean brand new, never been driven before, simply don't do it. Any significant Uber driving is going to seriously kill the value of your car. Driving for UberX only makes sense if you own a car that is cheap ($5-$7K) and economical (10-15c/km running costs). That necessarily means a small car similar to a Hyundai i20. Even on the 20% commission structure that longer term drivers are on, it's a marginal exercise at best. You will most certainly be on the 25% commission structure, so it's hard to see how it's going to be a worthwhile endeavour for you.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Don't do it my man
Don't do it.

With these new regulations all part timers gonna drop off.

I personally believe you gotta make uber work for yourself. Can't do this shit full time. Not worth it especially if you can get something else. Or do something else. For those who can't, and nothing else is working out for them, then uber is better than nothing. But is it worth your time? That's a question you need to answer yourself. But driving around for 9-11 dollars an hour is really not worth it, even for extra cash. Because in all honesty it's really not all that much cash. Unless of course you're a stingy person who just lives to work then nothing will stop that.

All in all, 400 over a weekend is possible, but driving full time prior to gst, tax, expenses, don't even bother counting wear and tear (say you don't keep that in the equation) that 400 dollar figure is gonna drop quick substantially.

Do not buy a car for uber unless it's less than 4000 and after you're done you can sell it back for 3500. Quite impossible lol.

My suggestion is hold off till the new regulations kick in and take it from there.

Uber and everyone else who reckons they make 50 an hour is either exaggerating or not taking into account expenses or more than likely bsing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I should have stated what sort of car I will be getting.
I'm looking at getting a 2010 Golf and they rated to 6.5/100kms roughly. I do a lot of driving anyway so wear and tear won't be overly a lot, I drive 7 days a week anyways.

However how does it work in terms of payments?

So say you get a client and it works out to be only $12 ride are you basically paying GST & Tax on the $12 only?

If the uber offices themselves can't provide

Thanks for your feed back TrexG, yeah seems like the logical thing to do is to hold off until after the new laws kick in. When are these laws suppose to kick in anyway?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Sorry I should have stated what sort of car I will be getting.
I'm looking at getting a 2010 Golf and they rated to 6.5/100kms roughly. I do a lot of driving anyway so wear and tear won't be overly a lot, I drive 7 days a week anyways.

However how does it work in terms of payments?

So say you get a client and it works out to be only $12 ride are you basically paying GST & Tax on the $12 only?

If the uber offices themselves can't provide

Thanks for your feed back TrexG, yeah seems like the logical thing to do is to hold off until after the new laws kick in. When are these laws suppose to kick in anyway?

Cheers
$12 ride
After GST is $10.80
After fuel is $9.50
After wear and tear is $8.50
After tax is between $4 to $6

That $12 trip will take you 20 mins start to finish......

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Let's put this another way. What is the minimum amount, after all expenses and taxes, that you would need to earn per hour for this to be worthwhile to you? Wouldn't it be a waste of your time if you went through the whole process and expense of getting setup, only to find out it wasn't anywhere near what you need it to be to make it worthwhile?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well Uber89 said he wants guidance on whether to be a driver or not. You got solid answers to not be yet you still ask and what more justification. I think it's a waste of time telling him the truth. Be like Dog give him Ur promo code and help him set up as a driver. Let him learn the hard way as he probably thinks y'all making money and are scared of letting one more competitor in. Dog talk to Uber_89 be his mentor. Uber_89 pm Dog he clears $1700 weekly

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Well Uber89 said he wants guidance on whether to be a driver or not. You got solid answers to not be yet you still ask and what more justification. I think it's a waste of time telling him the truth. Be like Dog give him Ur promo code and help him set up as a driver. Let him learn the hard way as he probably thinks y'all making money and are scared of letting one more competitor in. Dog talk to Uber_89 be his mentor. Uber_89 pm Dog he clears $1700 weekly
Working 70+ hours weekly, and before all expenses and taxes, lol. Good luck uber_89, you're gonna need it!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Make $400..

How many hours?
How many kms driven

At a guess

20 hours
400kms

So $400 minus fuel is now $350
Minus GST is now $300
Minus wear and tear is now $250
After tax.. $190ish

So as mentioned about $10 per hour...... or less
How can u base his fuel cost without knowing make and model of car LMFAO

$250 wear and tear????
Some people just need a temporary casual job, and those expenses aren't worth factoring in, until it's time too have fun with e tax or there accountant.

Pretty shitty guestimate

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
How can u base his fuel cost without knowing make and model of car LMFAO

$250 wear and tear????
Some people just need a temporary casual job, and those expenses aren't worth factoring in, until it's time too have fun with e tax or there accountant.

Pretty shitty guestimate
Your post shows you fail at maths

Post your screenshots

1 - 20 of 26 Posts