Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just had my first Uber driver experience last night. And I think I broke an unwritten tip about driving around for fares last night. I was not chasing surges, but just driving around what I thought were "hot spots." I should have stayed put and waited for fares, but I am one of those "Get up and go" type people and I guess I need to learn how to wait. I know better now after my first night, lol.

I don't live in the service area, so this is part-time work for me, something to do after work while my spouse is working late. My "Home Base" is usually in the parking lot of my work. So my questions are as follows.

1) Where are some good places to stage after dropping of a pax? I don't want to come off as some creepy guy sitting on the side of the road.
2) I work near the Clayton hotspot that Uber says I should try, but I don't want to accidentally park where I would have to pay. Any ideas for staging in Clayton?
3) I am aware of the passenger app trick to seeing other drivers in the area, but how long would your recommend waiting at a staging area before moving on, and how far should you move?
4) And what would you recommend then to pass the time, I have so far seen a lot of people read. I guess it might be time to break out the kindle.

Thanks for you help fellow Uber Drivers. And I hope we get the St. Charles market opened up soon.

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
I can't believe people are still signing up to do Uber. These relentless recruitment ads and below the basement rates are killing us.

Reactions: cindym

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't believe people are still signing up to do Uber. These relentless recruitment ads and below the basement rates are killing us.
Indeed. Sat for over an hour in Clayton last night with nothing. Usually have something within 15 mins! Logged off and went home. I do this in my spare time too, but there are sooooooooo many drivers out there now, it's not even worth it to me anymore! Does StL even have any driver bonuses, incentives, or any kind of hourly guarantees like other cities? Trying to get anything out of support is a joke. Might as well have been talking to myself.

·
Registered
636 Posts
They only offer incentives and guarantees in markets that don't have enough drivers, not in saturated markets. When 5000 of us take smaller slices of the pie instead of 2000 taking larger slices, Uber gets the same amount and has no reason to offer incentives or guarantees.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hello, I just had my first Uber driver experience last night. And I think I broke an unwritten tip about driving around for fares last night. I was not chasing surges, but just driving around what I thought were "hot spots." I should have stayed put and waited for fares, but I am one of those "Get up and go" type people and I guess I need to learn how to wait. I know better now after my first night, lol.

I don't live in the service area, so this is part-time work for me, something to do after work while my spouse is working late. My "Home Base" is usually in the parking lot of my work. So my questions are as follows.

1) Where are some good places to stage after dropping of a pax? I don't want to come off as some creepy guy sitting on the side of the road.
2) I work near the Clayton hotspot that Uber says I should try, but I don't want to accidentally park where I would have to pay. Any ideas for staging in Clayton?
3) I am aware of the passenger app trick to seeing other drivers in the area, but how long would your recommend waiting at a staging area before moving on, and how far should you move?
4) And what would you recommend then to pass the time, I have so far seen a lot of people read. I guess it might be time to break out the kindle.

Thanks for you help fellow Uber Drivers. And I hope we get the St. Charles market opened up soon.
There really isnt answers for your questions at least none that will come from a driver. Its different for each one of us, some only may sit for 30 min while others may sit a hr. Not to sound like a ******* here you took the job and you have to figure those things out for your self. Each of us works in a different way to get the results we want or need.
I have to drive 12 to 15 hrs a day 7 days a week to get the results I need. Some days are really good some are horrible and that my friend is a lesson best learned on your own.

·
Registered
221 Posts
look at it from a RIDERS point of view. Where would you most likely be if YOU needed an Uber? Where would you go that will have a lot of people drinking and afraid to drive? As for watching the RIDER app for the other drivers... try sitting right on the edge of a cluster, see what happens.
I am experimenting with different areas, start times, ending times. Last Sat was non-stop when I adjusted my start time. Still getting the PING is chance because you are the closest driver.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
look at it from a RIDERS point of view. Where would you most likely be if YOU needed an Uber? Where would you go that will have a lot of people drinking and afraid to drive? As for watching the RIDER app for the other drivers... try sitting right on the edge of a cluster, see what happens.
I am experimenting with different areas, start times, ending times. Last Sat was non-stop when I adjusted my start time. Still getting the PING is chance because you are the closest driver.
I was thinking the same thing, I think I will stay at the back end of parking lots and just read my kindle until a Pax pings me. Like I said the hardest thing for me is the wait, I want to be doing something LOL. It's hard for me to adjust my start/end times because of my personal windows of opportunity that my family is placing on me. :p Thanks for the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts