Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm excited to be joining the Uber driver family. My friend does it in the city he lives in and recommended it to me. I will be driving in New Orleans area. Are there any hot spots where people like to request rides? Also any general tips and advice y'all could offer?

I drive a 2013 Ford Flex, can seat up to 7 people. Is that an UberX or UberXL? I also keep my car very clean all the time and looking like new. I'm a stickler when it comes to my car's cleanness.

Thanks and looking forward to mostly positive experiences!

·
Registered
76 Posts
You will soon question your friendship, and hate cleaning your car (which can do XL rides and X as well) constantly for people who purposefully and carelessly trash it! Welcome to the Suck!

It isn't always bad, but some days/nights can be a real beat down! Base rate X rides are almost not worth it, so timing is key to surge pricing. Turning off driver mode and waiting for surge helps me a lot. Use the WAZE app for directions (it is much better) and start during a slow part of the day to become accustomed to handling the app/WAZE app/driving/talking/pickup/dropoff situations before trying the busier times as it can all come at you rapidly. Some familiarity with all of the above will help, along with some knowledge of the streets and neighborhoods. Patience is a virtue, and you will need boatloads of it to survive mentally, both from the pax and Uber the company! Good Luck!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm excited to be joining the Uber driver family. My friend does it in the city he lives in and recommended it to me. I will be driving in New Orleans area. Are there any hot spots where people like to request rides? Also any general tips and advice y'all could offer?

I drive a 2013 Ford Flex, can seat up to 7 people. Is that an UberX or UberXL? I also keep my car very clean all the time and looking like new. I'm a stickler when it comes to my car's cleanness.

If you're a stickler for cleanliness, picking up strangers in a filthy city is not the job for you. Couldn't you find something else that pays much better and doesn't run your car to the ground and lower is value? BTW, uber isn't a family. It's a pimp/ho relationship. But to some people I guess that is family. Good luck. You're going to need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're a stickler for cleanliness, picking up strangers in a filthy city is not the job for you. Couldn't you find something else that pays much better and doesn't run your car to the ground and lower is value? BTW, uber isn't a family. It's a pimp/ho relationship. But to some people I guess that is family. Good luck. You're going to need it.
I just mean more that my car isn't a total mess. I need something on my own hours and my car already has 140,000 miles and use to be a rental car so it's been run down already lol. I drive it a lot anyways so figured maybe make a few extra dollars while doing it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just mean more that my car isn't a total mess. I need something on my own hours and my car already has 140,000 miles and use to be a rental car so it's been run down already lol. I drive it a lot anyways so figured maybe make a few extra dollars while doing it.
So you're going to pick up people in a run down vehicle and expect them to pay for superior service? Uber riders are extremely entitled. They want to feel like they're in a limo but too cheap to actually spring for one. And you just don't know how true your words are about making a few dollars. Because once you take out 20% for S.E. tax, 20% repairs and upkeep, and 20% uber takes off top, you are left with a few dollars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you're going to pick up people in a run down vehicle and expect them to pay for superior service? Uber riders are extremely entitled. They want to feel like they're in a limo but too cheap to actually spring for one. And you just don't know how true your words are about making a few dollars. Because once you take out 20% for S.E. tax, 20% repairs and upkeep, and 20% uber takes off top, you are left with a few dollars.
You are not taking my posts the right way lol. I'm just gonna make some money on my own time. Oh well. Yea it's run down as in it has a lot of miles already so I'm not worried about putting more miles on it in the city lol. Its a nice vehicle in awesome condition on the inside. So people will like it. Thanks though

·
Registered
192 Posts
lower your expectations. Expect to make 300 to 500 a week when its good, and expect less when its not. The hours you drive will also determine how much money you make. most money is at night on the weekends. after 10pm you can expect to see minor surges (not always) at bars and hot locations. After 2 am it gets weird but there is more surge and money. But you will also pick up people who will pass out in your car or possibly throw up. Some people are full on black out drunk and can possibly damage you car. I recommend 3 things....

1. a dash cam
2. barf bags
3. even lower expectations. Sometimes you will make less than its worth, but sometimes you can make more!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Like others have said, don't expect to make life changing money. Uber should only be used for a side hustle to make a FEW extra bucks. It's very inconsistent. Atleast you have a pretty depreciated vehicle so thats a plus, as long as it gets good mpg. The key is keeping your operating expenses as low as possible to maximize what is already a narrow profit margin. Keep your doors locked, and if your pax are stumbling drunk, cancel and move on. Good luck

·
Premium Member
62,360 Posts

If you sit at the airport all day you will get rides.

·
Premium Member
62,360 Posts

The same people who throw trash in your car will complain to get a free ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts