Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we moved to Des Moines in April after my wife got a job here. While I love living here, I'm on my third job and I'm still not really happy with work. I read a few threads and it seems like drivers have mixed feeling about driving for Uber. I delivered pizza for 12 years and have always loved driving. I guess what I'm asking is if everyone thinks it's worth doing, or if I should just keep looking for a job I like? I kinda need to clear at least 350.00 to 400.00 a week. Thanks for your time and any advise.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Making a living with Uber isn't a good idea in my opinion. It makes for a great second job for a little extra income though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Welcome to Des Moines. You CAN make that, after expenses, if you do it "full time." My first suggestion would be to get familiar with many different roads, paths, suburbs, etc., and decide if it is something that will work for you. In this market, you will put a LOT more miles on your car driving for Uber than you will delivering pizza.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It will get you by until you find a better job. DSM job market is fairly good right now.

You would have no problem pulling in $350 / week IF you are willing to drive the late night hours (10:00pm - 2:00am) on Friday and Saturday in addition to daytime hours. During M-F daytime expect to get payout of $11 - $13 per hour. Remember, this is BEFORE driving expenses.

Do not neglect to take driving expenses into account. I split driving costs into two categories: Cash Flow and Total. Cash flow means gasoline, oil changes, car wash. Total equals all expenses including depreciation on your car. If you consider Cash Flow, it's probably 20¢ to 25¢ per mile for a reasonably efficient sedan. Expect 25¢ to 30¢ for SUV. Your results will vary. But know well that you are borrowing against the future value of your car. (e.g. when you trade/sell, how much reduced value with 20,000 extra Uber miles?) "Total" cost adds 15¢ per mile.

Your paid/dead miles ratio needs to be better than 50% to break even. The per mile costs (above) includes dead miles. You will get 47¢ per paid mile, and 0¢ per dead mile. Example: You drive 5 miles to pick up a ride that goes 5 miles. You are at 50%. Your cash flow cost (using 20¢) is $2.00 and you get $4.45 payout. Your "total" cost (using 35¢) is $3.50.

Now, is it worth your time? In the above example, assuming the trip took 1/2 hour (yep!!) you will make $4.90 per hour (cash flow) or $1.90 / hour "total cost". Note that this does NOT take surges into account. That is a completely different thread.

Obviously, you should insert your own cost estimates when trying to figure out if this is "worth it".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts