Uber Drivers Forum banner

New TNC Policy for IAD pickups effective 9/1

14K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  bart2puck 
#1 ·
I received below email last night. Should make things easier for IAD pickups.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Beginning today, 9/1, all partners at Dulles International Airport (IAD) must proceed to a designated TNC parking lot to receive airport trip requests.

Partners waiting outside this area will not receive airport trip requests and may be ticketed or fined by police.

Please read below for more details.

DETAILS

To receive an airport trip request, you must first proceed to the TNC parking lot (map below) located at the intersection of Autopilot Drive & Rudder Road. Upon entering the TNC parking lot, you will automatically be entered into the airport queue:
  • The queue is FIFO (first-in-first-out): the first request will go to the partner who's been waiting longest
  • Your location within the TNC parking lot does not affect your location in the queue
  • If a rider cancels, you'll remain at the front of the queue
  • If you leave the TNC parking lot, reject or cancel a trip, or go offline, you will go to the back of the queue
  • You will not be able to see your position in queue in the app
Please note - there is no cost to enter the TNC parking lot and you will not receive an airport trip request while on airport property outside of the TNC parking lot.

Click to Enlarge Image
QUESTIONS?

If you choose to wait for an airport trip, please remember:

• The only location to receive airport trip requests is in the TNC parking lot
  • You are required to display your Uber U Sign at all times (click HERE to print a temporary version or HERE to order a new one)
  • Do not wait in the terminal for trip requests
  • Contacting support will not tell you your place in queue
  • These changes do not impact DCA Airport at this time
For other questions, please reply to this email or visit the Dulles Airport Page.

Best,

The Uber DC Team

Uber Technologies Inc.
1455 Market Street San Francisco, CA 94103

Get Help View Online Unsubscribe

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought this was a well-presented communication from UBER. Now there's no doubts and we all know what to do. I will try it out after next pax drop off to Dulles, very curious about demand and how long typical waits would be at various times of the day and the week.

#5 ·
I swung by the popular pickup spot last wednesday and talk to a bunch of guys. They said they usually wait 10-15 between pings. 2 of the guys do uber full time and most of his day is at dulles. he said if he gets drawn into dc he stays there. he averages 1100-1200/wk on 50 hours....

#14 ·
I had a trip to Dulles late afternoon and decided to pull into the new area. Lots LOTS of cars there, XLs, blacks, and lowly X drivers in all kinds of vehicles. Waited 45 minutes, no ping, and left. Of course I will never know when the ping would have come had I stayed there...... probably it will never happen but it would be great if there was a electronic sign that could tell incoming drivers the length of time the oldest driver (oldest by virtue of length of time in the lot) had been hanging out. Sorted by type of Uber...then driver would have a bit more information on which to make a decision whether to hang out or go to greener pingier pastures maybe.

#15 ·
from what dudes told me from my earlier post, its comes in spurts based on flight arrivals. 45 minutes=0 pings. 20 minutes after flight=10-15 pings....
the problem i saw today was, i was in lot, and got a ping from reston, 13 minutes away. id rather not do that, so i cancel, bam, back to the back of the queue based on new rules.
now, i lucked out, i took the next ping which was in brambleton and got a good trip out of it. but you are not exclusive to airport when you are in the waiting zone.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm at the new lot now.

60% of vehicles are black cars and suvs with for hire tags.

Airport moved the cell phone lot and split the lot in two. Half for regular people and half for Uber/for hire cars. There are no taxis here.

This is the most of Uber cars I've seen at Dulles.
It's going to be a long wait today.

#19 ·
I have not had Dulles yesterday or today since they changed this. I have mixed emotions about the new rules. Before I could hang out in Herndon, walk around, use the restroom, I've even eaten lunch/dinner with the Uber phone online. Even after eating, I receive no pings. Generally, for a Dulles ping, I would wait 30 min. to an hour. However, hanging in Herndon, there is a small chance to get a ping elsewhere.

Cons of new rule:
-There is no chance for a ping elsewhere; so, you are putting all of your eggs in the Dulles basket
-Can't decide to go to the restroom or eat or else you are at the back of the queue

Pros:
-There may be less drivers going for the airport now, which means it would be likely to wait less than 30 minutes to get a Dulles ping
-Also, if I had a drop off at the airport, and I decided to not wait in that lot, it's possible that I'd be more likely to get a ping in Herndon since there will be less drivers hanging around there now

Generally, I left the airport zone before I got a ping because I don't have the patience to wait for an hour with $0 pay. And while Dulles is often a good trip and will take you to DC or near DC, you could've waited that hour, and they are just going to Reston, Herndon, or Sterling.

#20 ·
On Wednesday morning, 8/26, three of the four rides were to Dulles. The first ping at 8:10 AM was a short one within the Bailey's Crossroads area for about $7

2nd at 8:30 AM was near Lake Barcroft 22 miles to Dulles. So, after I dropped her off at about 9:10. Here is what I did: I went to Herndon VA-606, used the restroom at one of the hotels, walked around, and waited for about 15 minutes. I was in an area where I could've gotten a ping in Herndon or Sterling, but I didn't. So, I decided to not wait in the airport zone any longer. I didn't go east on 606 toward Reston but north on 28 to Sterling/Ashburn, where there only a couple of cars. I parked for a few minutes but no pings. So, I drove east on Nokes Blvd and connected to VA-7, where I went east. I was considering going down Fairfax County Pkwy to Reston, but saw there were like 15 drivers within 1 mile of the Town Center. So, I decided to stay north. However, there was heavy construction traffic and decided to go down FC Pkwy anyway. I drove to Sunrise Valley since the vast majority of cars were north of the toll road, but I received no pings. At this point it was about 10 AM almost an hour after the drop off. I ended up driving through Tysons with nothing, and finally got something on US50 near 495 at 10:30 a full 1 hour 20 minutes after I dropped her off.

3rd: US50 & 495 to Dulles. This time I decided to not even waste time trying and either go to Tysons or near Tysons, which was only 15 minutes. Since there were a lot of cars in Tysons, I got one more in Pimmit and it was Dulles. Ugh

#26 ·
On Wednesday morning, 8/26, three of the four rides were to Dulles. The first ping at 8:10 AM was a short one within the Bailey's Crossroads area for about $7Ha!

2nd at 8:30 AM was near Lake Barcroft 22 miles to Dulles. So, after I dropped her off at about 9:10. Here is what I did: I went to Herndon VA-606, used the restroom at one of the hotels, walked around, and waited for about 15 minutes. I was in an area where I could've gotten a ping in Herndon or Sterling, but I didn't. So, I decided to not wait in the airport zone any longer. I didn't go east on 606 toward Reston but north on 28 to Sterling/Ashburn, where there only a couple of cars. I parked for a few minutes but no pings. So, I drove east on Nokes Blvd and connected to VA-7, where I went east. I was considering going down Fairfax County Pkwy to Reston, but saw there were like 15 drivers within 1 mile of the Town Center. So, I decided to stay north. However, there was heavy construction traffic and decided to go down FC Pkwy anyway. I drove to Sunrise Valley since the vast majority of cars were north of the toll road, but I received no pings. At this point it was about 10 AM almost an hour after the drop off. I ended up driving through Tysons with nothing, and finally got something on US50 near 495 at 10:30 a full 1 hour 20 minutes after I dropped her off.

3rd: US50 & 495 to Dulles. This time I decided to not even waste time trying and either go to Tysons or near Tysons, which was only 15 minutes. Since there were a lot of cars in Tysons, I got one more in Pimmit and it was Dulles. Ugh
ha I love this. The uber gods f**ing w you!!!

At least wmata should put a porta pottie or three at the lot!

#21 ·
Uber ****ed up again.

Even though I arrived to the new lot after at least 5 other uberx cars, I was the first one to get the ping.

Got the ping from Enterprise rental, ..hello from Manassas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.