Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a popup about the Uber service animal policy on the driver app last night that I had to agree to in order to keep using the driver app. It said we can only ask if an animal is a service animal, and what service it performs. No guidance whatsoever for what "services" are legitimate needs for service animals, nor was there any info about how to deal with animals determined to be non-service animals.

Winco grocery stores have signs that "emotional support" animals are NOT service animals under the ADA and will be refused entry.

Are Uber drivers covered by just using the ADA definition then and deny emotional support animals?

·
Registered
920 Posts
It popped up for me late Saturday afternoon in the middle of my shift during a 2.2x - 3.0x XL surge in Scottsdale. And of course as a driver your gonna agree just to get back online as quickly as you can. Very clever but extremely sinister. They pulled the same crap on the " opt out" agreement ways back during an early Monday morning rush hour when you would have no time to read anything! (Yes, believe it or not there was a time when during morning rush it would be almost non stop with trip requests). You're basically locked out until you agree - on their terms!

Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Number

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it really matters when they try to sneak it in. You either agree or you don't get to drive anymore. And that part....whatever. They get to set whatever terms they want. What bothers me is they don't give one bit of info on what qualifies as a "service animal". They give two questions we can ask but then what? "This dog helps me shit." Oh, ok. Guess I have to let him in my car to help you shit on my seat then.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Straight from the ADA website. I added the 2nd one because it seemed to be related. I would ask for some clarification from Uber because they may have their own requirements. Someone with a psychiatric service animal might be embarrassed and say they are for support or comfort.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
A
. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Q4. If someone's dog calms them when having an anxiety attack, does this qualify it as a service animal?
A
. It depends. The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just read that myself. I guess maybe the confusion for me is, if the pax says it's a service animal, it doesn't really matter what they say is the service he provides. Uber will never demand proof from riders. It's just a green light for people to force the rest of the planet to accept their neuroses.

The other part that made me laugh is where any one service dog gets to shit up our cars 3 times before we get to claim the cleaning fee.

Legitimate service animals don't have 'accidents'.

What happens if I pick up one pax with a dog and my next pax is violently allergic to dogs and goes into anaphalactic shock in my back seat?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don't think it really matters when they try to sneak it in.
Disagree. It's a policy that is not popular with many drivers. So by introducing it in the middle of a Saturday surge when you're on a roll making money is totally sinister. When it's surging and your making money you'll agree with anything just to be able to log back in!
Personally if having a freakin dog in your vehicle pushes you over the edge go find another gig. I put this right up there with drivers who get freaked out when someone hops in the front seat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally if having a freakin dog in your vehicle pushes you over the edge...
Nope. Doesn't freak me out one bit. But I asked a somewhat legitimate question. What if one pax's dog causes another pax to have to go to the ER?

Disagree. It's a policy that is not popular with many drivers. So by introducing it in the middle of a Saturday surge when you're on a roll making money is totally sinister.
But my point is what are your options? Even if it popped up when you were at home relaxing on your couch, you have only one choice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nope. Doesn't freak me out one bit. But I asked a somewhat legitimate question. What if one pax's dog causes another pax to have to go to the ER?
It doesn't matter. It would be on Uber and ADA. I'm sure you would get included if there was a frivolous lawsuit. Forget another pax. Even if the driver is deathly allergic to a service animal if they don't accept a ride because of it they are in violation of ADA compliance. I had a request at a bar during the day once and there was a girl and a guy with 2 dogs. They were jumping around and playing like crazy. She could hardly control them. I didn't want them in my car. I pulled up and said I was allergic even though I'm not. She stars screaming at me that they were service dogs. Service dogs don't act that way. I told her I would cancel the ride so they didn't get charged and to just request another one. She just kept yelling and screaming at me. I had no idea about the service dog thing so I contact uber. They said I had to take them by ADA if they were service dogs. Even if I was deathly allergic. Ever since then my policy is if I see any animal I drive away and cancel the ride.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
It popped up for me late Saturday afternoon in the middle of my shift during a 2.2x - 3.0x XL surge in Scottsdale. And of course as a driver your gonna agree just to get back online as quickly as you can. Very clever but extremely sinister. They pulled the same crap on the " opt out" agreement ways back during an early Monday morning rush hour when you would have no time to read anything! (Yes, believe it or not there was a time when during morning rush it would be almost non stop with trip requests). You're basically locked out until you agree - on their terms!
View attachment 105050
I didn't get that pop up (yet). Thanks for the warning. My guess - Uber must of had some recent complaints and they're covering their butt. From what I understand - Uber, Lyft, and any other company that the ADA law applies to is required to at least meet the ADA standard - I.E. allowing access to service animals. To apply this to a more familiar Federal Government/company situation (for me) - back in the day, that's the way it worked with OSHA: 'everyone will at least meet the basic standard, feel free to add on to the basic standard, but meet the basic standard'. Many states, companies, and sometimes cities and counties did add to the basic standard for multiple reasons. But in the end, they were covering their butts.

I've learned not to ask questions on the subject of service animals myself, less static for the ride. And I have found that riders will keep the animal in the back for safety reasons, and are happy to do so, when explained to them. I can't have any animal crawling around in the front when I'm trying to drive. (Or any other distraction for that matter.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts