Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reserving my opinion as to the new surge calculations. Not sure I like it, thinking we might get less pay. But, since I have yet to try it out I can't really comment. Though, I am interested in what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't encountered it while driving as I'm on vacation this week. I like the idea of being paid for surge even if the pick-up is outside of zone relative to me. But we'll see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is without a doubt the largest “pay cut” ever imposed on drivers. Anyone who’s paid attention to surge data over the last few weeks could almost have seen this coming as they have no doubt been playing with it. This is such an obvious **** you to drivers it’s not even funny. Enough to get me to finally post on this forum. Hi everyone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
No more watching the app waiting for a surge to appear.

I do that a lot. I will sit at my desk with the app open and if a decent surge appear I will go online. Now you have to be online to see the bonus.
It says offline surge will be available soon. There are other ways being notified for surge btw

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Screenshots would be appreciated. Also I'd like to PM with someone about these changes too. Please pm me

It says offline surge will be available soon. There are other ways being notified for surge btw
Uber has tried offline surge notification before. It didn't work.

So I'm skeptical it'll be improved for our benefit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure what screenshots you’re asking for.
Some immediate examples of your pay reduction..

1. Driving toward surge less than 1/4 mile away, receiving zero surge pings from PAX who are in the surge zone.

2. (The most obvious 1 to 1 example) The airport caps at 1.8 surge, as we all know. The new surge caps it (thus far) at +6.50. This amount according to the old surge system would mean a fare of 3.61! I’ve taken some short airport runs before but 3.61 may just be the absolute shortest trip possible. Wether this increases remains to be seen, doubtful.

3. I drove last night from 2am. I rejected about 4-5 trip request before accepting a pick up at Thomas St tavern. I accepted it because it presented itself in old system fashion as a +1.7 surge trip, which according to my method of surge monitoring was where it should/ would be. Short ride to The Omni uptown, the result was 3.00 minimum fare. This was at 2:10 in the morning on a Friday. I did send a message to support but have not yet heard back which is suspect in itself considering support has been quick to respond lately.

This has been a long time coming but looks like it’s now here. Say goodbye to surge pricing as you’ve known it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think apps like SurgeChaser will be broken by this update, and may not be able to work properly afterwards since the surge won't vary by pickup location (which is what SurgeChaser checks currently).

I'm not a Charlotte driver, but I'm very interested in this development and how it works out incase they decide to roll it out in more markets. Sorry you guys had to be the guinnea pigs...

·
Registered
24 Posts
As o was leaving uptown on independence my surge looked like this. It mentioned it would add 2.75 extra to my trip when completed. I honestly didn't even accept it because it would have required me to get off east independence and hear back west into uptown. Glad I didn't cause my next trip was to Lake Norman.

Map Product World Font Line

·
Registered
57 Posts
It sucks!! I saw the "surge" last night and instead of a 1.5x multiplier it said "$1.50". That is a major ****ing pay cut! The longer the ride the more of a cut. It works well if your next ride is around the corner, but you're ****ed if it's to Mooresville. Imagine this: you get a ride to Mooresville from Uptown; under the old system a 3.5x Surge would net you nearly $100 in profit. Under the new system it would net you about $3.50 in additional profit on top of the regular rate. That is an 86.5% pay cut for that ride. How the **** is that a GOOD thing for the drivers?! And what happens on New Years Eve when the Surge gets up to 10-11x? Are we supposed to risk our lives driving on the busiest night of the year for an extra $10 per ride? **** that. If this is the new system then I may never work the "bar crowd" again. It's not worth the increased danger. I can make just as much doing long rides in the mornings and afternoons and stay away from the drunks if this system stays like this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sucks!! I saw the "surge" last night and instead of a 1.5x multiplier it said "$1.50". That is a major &%[email protected]!*ing pay cut! The longer the ride the more of a cut. It works well if your next ride is around the corner, but you're &%[email protected]!*ed if it's to Mooresville. Imagine this: you get a ride to Mooresville from Uptown; under the old system a 3.5x Surge would net you nearly $100 in profit. Under the new system it would net you about $3.50 in additional profit on top of the regular rate. That is an 86.5% pay cut for that ride. How the &%[email protected]!* is that a GOOD thing for the drivers?! And what happens on New Years Eve when the Surge gets up to 10-11x? Are we supposed to risk our lives driving on the busiest night of the year for an extra $10 per ride? &%[email protected]!* that. If this is the new system then I may never work the "bar crowd" again. It's not worth the increased danger. I can make just as much doing long rides in the mornings and afternoons and stay away from the drunks if this system stays like this.
I don't really chase surge as I am limited to what I can earn due to social security. Don't get me wrong I do need the money SS doesn't cover everything. But I feel bad for you guys that rely on surge pricing.
Wolfehowl, that's what I was thinking. now if it were $1.50 and up per mile that might work, a $1.50 per drive doesn't cut it.

Can anyone there check the pax app when fixed amount driver surge is happening and see if the pax surge appears to still be a multiplier?
I will bu ti maybe a few days before I can respond. I don't end up in surge often

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Guys. You are obviously a test market for this BS policy change. Drivers everywhere are counting on you to fight this and prove it won't meet demand. Once it goes nationwide, it's here for good, but we have a small window to push it back right now.

I know it's nearly impossible to organize a full strike on the Uber platform, but we don't need this. We just need enough drivers to say "enough" that it will make the test a failure (by not meeting needs in high-demand situations).

If my home town of LA was a test market, I would be practicing and encouraging my friends to do these things:
  1. Do you have Lyft out there? Refuse to drive Uber for a few weeks. I know it might hurt your wallet by some %, but it will benefit you greatly in the long run.
  2. Refuse to drive at events, such as concerts and sporting events, where you will sit in traffic for little pay. Instead, enjoy a beer while watching the game at home for a change.
  3. Boycott airports. Sitting and waiting for a ride and navigating through traffic to find your passenger makes sense if you're going to be compensated in the end. If you're going to have just a few bucks tacked on, no longer. It might hurt, but the end result of going along with this change is even worse.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys. You are obviously a test market for this BS policy change. Drivers everywhere are counting on you to fight this and prove it won't meet demand. Once it goes nationwide, it's here for good, but we have a small window to push it back right now.

I know it's nearly impossible to organize a full strike on the Uber platform, but we don't need this. We just need enough drivers to say "enough" that it will make the test a failure (by not meeting needs in high-demand situations).

If my home town of LA was a test market, I would be practicing and encouraging my friends to do these things:
  1. Do you have Lyft out there? Refuse to drive Uber for a few weeks. I know it might hurt your wallet by some %, but it will benefit you greatly in the long run.
  2. Refuse to drive at events, such as concerts and sporting events, where you will sit in traffic for little pay. Instead, enjoy a beer while watching the game at home for a change.
I had thought about this, one thing is for sure I will not be working the Monday night game this week, though I do need to find a bar to watch it at... No TV at home and originally from Miami. I want to watch and rag on my brother as the Panthers kick the Dolphins butt

·
Registered
297 Posts
wow, if thats the way this is going, short trips are going to be awesome cause even a 2.2 on a 3 dollars trip is 6.6 anyways and thats only 1 trip. You would hypothetically make a significant amount more if you got forced into short trips in the long run, but this would suck for long trips

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
wow, if thats the way this is going, short trips are going to be awesome cause even a 2.2 on a 3 dollars trip is 6.6 anyways and thats only 1 trip. You would hypothetically make a significant amount more if you got forced into short trips in the long run, but this would suck for long trips
And you don't know which it is...long, short or medium...that's the point.

1 - 20 of 310 Posts