Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full story: https://www.recode.net/2018/10/2/17924628/uber-drivers-make-hourly-expenses

Half of U.S. Uber drivers make less than $10 an hour after vehicle expenses, according to a new study
They would make more at an Amazon warehouse.

Uber lures drivers with the idea of being your own boss and "making great money with your car." The "great money" part is up for debate.

The median hourly pay with tip for Uber drivers in the U.S. is $14.73, according to a new study conducted by Ridester, a publication that focuses on the ride-hail industry. That figure includes tips but doesn't account for expenses like insurance, gas and car depreciation incurred while working. Using Ridester's low-end estimate of $5 per hour in vehicle costs, drivers would bring in $9.73 per hour and potentially much less.

That implies a driver working 40 hours per week would make an annual salary of almost $31,000 before vehicle expenses, and about $20,000 after expenses (but still before taxes). That's below the poverty threshold for a family of three. It's also a far cry from the $70,000 to $90,000 Uber once claimed its drivers made in major markets.

· Premium Member
412 Posts
Full story: https://www.recode.net/2018/10/2/17924628/uber-drivers-make-hourly-expenses

Half of U.S. Uber drivers make less than $10 an hour after vehicle expenses, according to a new study

Uber lures drivers with the idea of being your own boss and "making great money with your car." The "great money" part is up for debate.

The median hourly pay with tip for Uber drivers in the U.S. is $14.73, according to a new study conducted by Ridester, a publication that focuses on the ride-hail industry. That figure includes tips but doesn't account for expenses like insurance, gas and car depreciation incurred while working. Using Ridester's low-end estimate of $5 per hour in vehicle costs, drivers would bring in $9.73 per hour and potentially much less.

That implies a driver working 40 hours per week would make an annual salary of almost $31,000 before vehicle expenses, and about $20,000 after expenses (but still before taxes). That's below the poverty threshold for a family of three. It's also a far cry from the $70,000 to $90,000 Uber once claimed its drivers made in major markets.
Just remember, this is not about money, the important thing is that you are your own boss "Independent Contractor", you decide when to drive, you are meeting very excited and interested people, you are participating in Travis State of the art disruptive technology and you are making money aside in 16 hours daily of your spare time
don't forget to have a real income in order to subsidy cheap fares to all this wonderful pax
Lol

· Premium Member
612 Posts
My city is behind in their rental program but I guess they finally got it up and running. The only think I like about it is that it shows the expected earnings which is 14k per year which seems believable. But when you factor in the rental fees plus gas, it just makes no sense to do. I think the cheapest rental per day was around $18-25 per day. Do the math on that, it just makes no sense.

· Registered
4,216 Posts
A lot of drivers earn zero an hour in many smaller and lower paying markets after mileage deductions.

My city is behind in their rental program but I guess they finally got it up and running. The only think I like about it is that it shows the expected earnings which is 14k per year which seems believable. But when you factor in the rental fees plus gas, it just makes no sense to do. I think the cheapest rental per day was around $18-25 per day. Do the math on that, it just makes no sense.
14K per year is $270 a week.

· Registered
21 Posts

Easily... I work in orange county LA County border and I drive an electric car and I could barely scrape by $15-20 ( before costs) an hour picking my own hours to drive during the Best or busiest. I've gone from making 3540 an hour to 25 an hour down to $15-$20 an hour if I'm lucky . Tried overage during the lunch rush to see how it works and I make anywhere from $10-$13 an hour minus any cost... again I'm very efficient know my way around and have an electric car .

But I guess there's probably a lot of people out there would rather be driving aand beating up their car than working at a McDonald's so I get it.

And for the most part they got rid of all the surgeons so there's really no time to make that extra money to make up for all the shit hours

· Registered
6 Posts
The city you drive in makes a huge difference, also I think there is a significant difference between part-time drivers and fulltime drivers. As a PT driver, I would only drive during lucrative hours. Also I live in the city so I would go when there were big sporting events or concerts etc. If you drive FT you average earning will likely be lower bc you have less options to pick and choose your hours.

· Premium Member
873 Posts
They're doing it wrong if that's all they're earning. And the "after expenses" is always up to interpretation and depends on the vehicle. Insurance is a fixed cost whether you Uber or not, unless you pay for the "hybrid" insurance some companies offer. But it's still a fixed expense and a low one at that. Fuel is a controlled expense - making sure you buy at the lowest price possible, keeping dead miles to a minimum, accepting mostly surge or (if applicable) higher ride rates such as XL, turning your car off while parked, etc. I personally try to keep my fuel cost at 10% of revenue. Depreciation varies wildly depending on the age & value of your vehicle and is really a subjective cost. Yes, your car depreciates but it's also earning income - which should vastly exceed depreciation. Taxes - with a 54¢/mi deduction a driver's taxes should be at a very low rate and helps balance depreciation and maintenance cost.

Like any business, being successful at driving Uber requires math & business skills. Keep a good ratio between revenue and expenses, be smart about the rides you accept, save some bucks when business is good, control spending when business is bad.

· Banned
41 Posts
accept ping most likely not from home some "good" area you had to commute to

drive 1-5+ miles for free

start ride

start earning .64 per mile(1975 cab rate) & .21 per minute (1989 cab rate) many markets less

deliver 100-500+ pounds another 1-5 miles

receive $4

either wait hours for another ping, drive to another area for pings, or drive home or commute back to original "good" location

after expenses net $2 like a 1971 minimum fare

they need studies? mit mathmaticans?

a 3rd grader could tell you why 96% fail by evil design

ping=
blank contract uber sends drivers hiding all details on how much the contract pays thereby coercing free unpaid labor on 90+% of trips

· Premium Member
8,878 Posts
ping=
blank contract uber sends drivers hiding all details on how much the contract pays thereby coercing free unpaid labor on 90+% of trips
Coercing free unpaid labor? No one is forced to drive for Uber nor accept any ping. Uber gets away with not showing the destination because they have an endless supply of drivers who willingly accept blank contracts.

· Banned
41 Posts
Coercing free unpaid labor? No one is forced to drive for Uber nor accept any ping. Uber gets away with not showing the destination because they have an endless supply of drivers who willingly accept blank contracts.
if you cancel too much you are fired thats duress i.e threats

if you cancel because you dont want to provide free labor you are threatened with the loss of your job

trickery & deception also fit the definition of coercion

stank you very much

the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.

In law, coercion is codified as a duress crime. Such actions are used as leverage, to force the victim to act in a way contrary to their own interests

Coercion may involve the actual infliction of physical pain/injury or psychological harm in order to enhance the credibility of a threat. The threat of further harm may lead to the cooperation or obedience of the person being coerced.

However, many other types are possible e.g. "emotional blackmail", which typically involves threats of rejection from or disapproval by a peer-group, or creating feelings of guilt/obligation via a display of anger or hurt by someone whom the victim loves or respects. Another example is coercive persuasion.

be a 5 star driver, get badges like you peers heres how....

The ethical treatment of others requires that we treat them as rational agents who are authors of their own decisions, and not as tools that we may use or manipulate as we like. Coercion and deception - each in its own way - diminishes (and sometimes eliminates altogether) the possibility that others' actions will result from their rational appreciation of the options that are, in point of fact, actually available to them. They constitute conditions for decision-making that, absent special justification, have no place in a liberal society.

Duress is pressure exerted upon a person to coerce that person to perform an act they ordinarily would not perform.

Would you provide free labor, i.e drive strangers for free or less than your costs if you wouldn't get fired for cancelling on them?

drivers are being coerced to provide free labor under duress period.

· Premium Member
8,878 Posts
if you cancel too much you are fired thats duress i.e threats

if you cancel because you dont want to provide free labor you are threatened with the loss of your job
Uber threatening to removing you from the platform is no more coercion against you than you threatening to quit is coercion against them.

trickery & deception also fit the definition of coercion
Uh... no. That may be false advertising but it isn't coercion. Plus, if you allow yourself to be tricked over and over again, whose fault is that?

Trick me once, shame on you, trick me twice, shame on me, trick me once on each of the 2000 Uber trips I did, shame on Uber?

However, many other types are possible e.g. "emotional blackmail", which typically involves threats of rejection from or disapproval by a peer-group, or creating feelings of guilt/obligation via a display of anger or hurt by someone whom the victim loves or respects. Another example is coercive persuasion.

be a 5 star driver, get badges like you peers heres how....
Are we really entering an era where people think that it should be considered illegal coercion for "threats of rejection" or "creating feelings of guilt"?

"Officer, please arrest my girlfriend! She made me feel guilty and said she would leave me if I didn't do what she wanted"

· Banned
41 Posts
Uber threatening to removing you from the platform is no more coercion against you than you threatening to quit is coercion against them.

Uh... no. That may be false advertising but it isn't coercion.

Are we really entering an era where people think that it should be considered illegal coercion for "threats of rejection" or "creating feelings of guilt"?

"Officer, please arrest my girlfriend! She made me feel guilty and said she would leave me if I didn't buy her a new car!"
i dont make the definitions

if you think its ok to tell senior citizens, immigrants.....work for free or your fired oh well

its duress it's coercion its psychological deception programmed into an app

you& your girlfriend didnt enter into a contract for legal work

if Walmart or amazon did it, itd be national news & padlocks would shutter their stores

but youre not employees ok lmao just accept 85% of rides only cancel 4% causing you to work for free 90% of the time & we'll bless you with the knowledge that your next ride is $2 maybe $10 but most likely less than your actual costs

do you man
its evil
its wrong
its illegal

the only reason they get away with it is because they billionaires bribing everyone & showing false ads on tv radio web all day afs theyve changed numerous times after paying fines for bait & switch along with being blatantly fraudulent i.e. false advertising

they belong in a jail cell

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.