Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New studies show Boston has the worse traffic in the country. Believe its based on length of time stuck in traffic (14%).
More people are using Uber and Lyft to get around the city instead of taking the T. Probably the reason there's 100 thousand (exaggerated) drivers in the greater Boston area. Another reason why choosing when and where to drive is paramount.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
LA is and always will be the worst traffic in the country.

Couldn’t agree more about how pedestrians act and losers who gridlock intersections.

The politicians love to blame us but the mayors in Bos/Cam/Som haven’t seen a construction permit they couldn’t approve fast enough. (Union Hacks!)

You can’t go a 1/2 mile around here without running into construction equipment in the road, sidewalks in the road or lane restrictions.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
the construction in Boston is very reactive, they can't fix the city fast enough, however they could plan projects better, like not closing two bridges at once or all the tunnel exits in one night to the airport.

truth is Mass Hwy/DOT and state police do not care and neither do the construction contractors making $50 an hour to do nothing

there is no doubt we have the worst drivers in A murica, i have driven in most states and Masshole is the best word to describe drivers here

·
Registered
651 Posts
Traffic lights here are (stupidly) on strict timers and have zero intelligence to detect whether any traffic is actually waiting or not. I've been at red lights downtown for 5mins solid with zero cars coming.

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
Traffic lights here are (stupidly) on strict timers and have zero intelligence to detect whether any traffic is actually waiting or not. I've been at red lights downtown for 5mins solid with zero cars coming.
Embarrassing for a city and a state that claims to be so tech oriented. Totally embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
New studies show Boston has the worse traffic in the country. Believe its based on length of time stuck in traffic (14%).
More people are using Uber and Lyft to get around the city instead of taking the T. Probably the reason there's 100 thousand (exaggerated) drivers in the greater Boston area. Another reason why choosing when and where to drive is paramount.
The study seems to imply Rideshare is the issue or part of the problem. It actually is a symptom, a horrible public transportation system, a horrible taxi system, lack of parking, construction all over the city and thousands of new apartments and condos in the city all create a perfect enviornment for Rideshare to flourish. Ride share is not the cause of the problem only the result.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The study seems to imply Rideshare is the issue or part of the problem. It actually is a symptom, a horrible public transportation system, a horrible taxi system, lack of parking, construction all over the city and thousands of new apartments and condos in the city all create a perfect enviornment for Rideshare to flourish. Ride share is not the cause of the problem only the result.
1,000% true. The T shuts down so early at night that people have gotten into the habit of using rideshare to get around. From doing so, they've realized that a $8 Lyft or Uber ride is more worth it to them than spending $2.50 on a T pass and taking an hour walking to the T stop, waiting for the train, going through the stops, etc... for $5.50 more they can get home 40 minutes faster. This transitions into their daytime travels as well, because they've learned the convenience of Lyft/Uber is well worth the price vs. a T pass.

The public transportation in this city is a disaster. NO parking ANYWHERE except $40+ garages, so who the hell will do that to go into the city just for a few hours?

I think of this haiku:

When in Boston town
Take Lyft and tip your driver
The T's always down

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Perhaps most frustrating is trying to drive from D Street and Summer Street just to D and Northern Avenue...especially at 2 a.m. sans traffic.

These lights takes forever to change, especially at that D Street and Congress Street intersection.

I've just eventually gone through that light, figuring the light is stuck; is that Massport or the city's light system there?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Perhaps most frustrating is trying to drive from D Street and Summer Street just to D and Northern Avenue...especially at 2 a.m. sans traffic.

These lights takes forever to change, especially at that D Street and Congress Street intersection.

I've just eventually gone through that light, figuring the light is stuck; is that Massport or the city's light system there?
They are all the same [email protected] Somerville, Cambridge and Boston. All of them seem to be programmed by the same idiot.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Agree 100%. Bicycle lanes have taken up lots of room as well.

The city of Boston says they actually monitor a high percentage of traffic lights. Below is from an article the other day.

"City Hall counters that it does have traffic engineers who monitor intersections every day for that purpose."

·
Premium Member
4,968 Posts
Agree 100%. Bicycle lanes have taken up lots of room as well.

The city of Boston says they actually monitor a high percentage of traffic lights. Below is from an article the other day.

"City Hall counters that it does have traffic engineers who monitor intersections every day for that purpose."
I often wind up calling 311 (if a Boston issue) whenever a traffic light is stuck. They answer 24/7.

Doesn't mean it gets fixed ASAP, but it feels good to vent to a live person.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Ants everywhere. City/State/DPU needs to put a cap on rideshare similar to medallions

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
No moron. I'm not a loser wannabe cab driver like you. I could care less if rideshare is banned in MA. It's not how I make a living. I'm sick of losers like you creating more traffic in my city.

Just for that dumb comment I'm going to get my state rep. and senator to look into limiting rideshare. I'm sure they are looking into already. Too many dbags like you out there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Pax use Uber to fill in the gaps that exist in a the hub and spoke public transportation system. Uber chose to share ride data with cities so they could use to plan new routes but instead it’s easier for pols to blame Rideshare. Sure it has nothing to do with all the new building projects approved...smh.

Kendall Square is a good example of this. So many companies locate there and no improvements made to Expand Redline station results in overcrowded subway platform during evening commute. This drives people to use Rideshare.

In Brighton, New Balance asked the state to install an exit ramp from the Mass Pike. The state said no but said you can build a commuter rail station, if you pay for it.

There is no central planning anymore to overcome NIMBYism

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.