Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I've got new agreement update from Uber. It's basically a new UberPool fares rate
Base fare: $1.70
Per mile: $0.90
Per minute: $0.14
Booking fee: $1.40
Minimum fare: $4.40
Cancellation fee: $2.00
Rider No Show fee: $5.00

Is this a better for Uberpool? Will this change your rate of accepting Uberpools? I may do it. I'm glad that I don't see $1.20 to pick up and drive someone.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Rather than starting another pool thread I'll post this here.
I wanted the weekend off so I accepted an unusually large number of pools thus week, primarily suburbs during off peak hrs. I noticed something interesting. They were primarily home health aids or cleaning people going from one job to the next with the employer paying the bill. It wasn't the rider being cheap ordering pool it was the employer. Some these were good rides, 10 miles in 15-20 minutes, and 2 even tipped.
I still have a zero tolerance policy for pool in the city and during morning rush but I've now changed my policy for rides after 9 am, especially if I think I can hit the incentive.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Today, I've got new agreement update from Uber. It's basically a new UberPool fares rate
Base fare: $1.70
Per mile: $0.90
Per minute: $0.14
Booking fee: $1.40
Minimum fare: $4.40
Cancellation fee: $2.00
Rider No Show fee: $5.00

Is this a better for Uberpool? Will this change your rate of accepting Uberpools? I may do it. I'm glad that I don't see $1.20 to pick up and drive someone.
I know Uber is confusing but there us nothing new about the Uberpool fare structure. It has been as you outlined for quite some time now.

The only thing that has changed is the booking fee is $1.40 instead of $1.20. This will not affect your bottom line as we get no part of it as drivers.

Also the minimum fare is shown as $4.40 instead of $4.20. Again, this has no impact on drivers. You will still receive only $2.25 ($3 × .75) for a minimum fare rides.

One thing Uber does well is to confuse drivers!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
^^

Agreed.

There's nothing for us here, except the usual pool misery,

Rather than starting another pool thread I'll post this here.
I wanted the weekend off so I accepted an unusually large number of pools thus week, primarily suburbs during off peak hrs. I noticed something interesting. They were primarily home health aids or cleaning people going from one job to the next with the employer paying the bill. It wasn't the rider being cheap ordering pool it was the employer. Some these were good rides, 10 miles in 15-20 minutes, and 2 even tipped.
I still have a zero tolerance policy for pool in the city and during morning rush but I've now changed my policy for rides after 9 am, especially if I think I can hit the incentive.
Morning rush may be a holdout of sorts against pool.

I have yet to do morning rushes, but it seems to me Pool is not very compatible with "rush", as in "have to be there on time".

I hope I'm wrong in fearing Pool becoming the standard level of service, with X becoming a premium upgrade. But it's sure starting to look that way. It would seem Pool is somewhat setting us up for the initial introduction of autonomous vehicles. My gut feeling says they might initially follow some relatively preset routes, similar to a bus. Of course when I'm on a Pool, I feel very much like an independent contractor owner/operator bus driver.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
^^

Agreed.

There's nothing for us here, except the usual pool misery,

Morning rush may be a holdout of sorts against pool.

I have yet to do morning rushes, but it seems to me Pool is not very compatible with "rush", as in "have to be there on time".

I hope I'm wrong in fearing Pool becoming the standard level of service, with X becoming a premium upgrade. But it's sure starting to look that way. It would seem Pool is somewhat setting us up for the initial introduction of autonomous vehicles. My gut feeling says they might initially follow some relatively preset routes, similar to a bus. Of course when I'm on a Pool, I feel very much like an independent contractor owner/operator bus driver.
Hopefully drivers are preventing that. It's fairly common for me to see 15 minute pool pings when many drivers are closer. I also know to pass on the 8-12 minute pool pings because often then come back a minute later as x.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hopefully drivers are preventing that. It's fairly common for me to see 15 minute pool pings when many drivers are closer. I also know to pass on the 8-12 minute pool pings because often then come back a minute later as x.
Hopefully.

There are interesting signs, though. I'm seeing pax complaining about drivers canceling on them or not showing-up after accepting Pools.

But Pool riders are also complaining to me of long wait times or not getting picked-up at all. Often in the 'burbs. The city Pools don't seem to have that complaint as much, but some city UberX pax have told me they've sworn-off Pool - mainly because of not being comfortable with some of their fellow pax.

The thing, is: There's a small number of us on the forum. But how many non-forum drivers in Chicago?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Hopefully.

There are interesting signs, though. I'm seeing pax complaining about drivers canceling on them or not showing-up after accepting Pools.

But Pool riders are also complaining to me of long wait times or not getting picked-up at all. Often in the 'burbs. The city Pools don't seem to have that complaint as much, but some city UberX pax have told me they've sworn-off Pool - mainly because of not being comfortable with some of their fellow pax.

The thing, is: There's a small number of us on the forum. But how many non-forum drivers in Chicago?
You can make money doing pool in the city because it doesn't reduce mpg as much and creates long trips. I drive a V8 Grand Marquis and don't drive city under 1.4x. A good unmatched pool ride is actually more profitable for me than some surged city rides in traffic. I'm one of the ones who did pretty good when pool paid more than x per mile.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You can make money doing pool in the city because it doesn't reduce mpg as much and creates long trips. I drive a V8 Grand Marquis and don't drive city under 1.4x. A good unmatched pool ride is actually more profitable for me than some surged city rides in traffic. I'm one of the ones who did pretty good when pool paid more than x per mile.
A V8 Marquis!

Hopefully it's well depreciated to make up for the fuel costs.

I drive a small well-depreciated econo-car, and I credit the car in large part with allowing me reasonable success.

But I know one of my '1's came from a pax on a crowded 3 pax Pool, who's first words upon opening the door before even getting in was:

"This car's too small! How am I going to open my laptop and get my work done?"

It was all downhill from there, including him demanding to be let-out mid-pool after an additional pax was added several blocks from his destination - rerouting him to the new pick-up point firstly.

I still maintain: Pools (the busy, crowded, city-type) increase the likelihood of unhappy pax, and lend themselves to lower driver ratings. Not always - I've had friendly happy Pools and even pax exchanging contact info - but in general.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
A V8 Marquis!

Hopefully it's well depreciated to make up for the fuel costs.

I drive a small well-depreciated econo-car, and I credit the car in large part with allowing me reasonable success.

But I know one of my '1's came from a pax on a crowded 3 pax Pool, who's first words upon opening the door before even getting in was:

"This car's too small! How am I going to open my laptop and get my work done?"

It was all downhill from there, including him demanding to be let-out mid-pool after an additional pax was added several blocks from his destination - rerouting him to the new pick-up point firstly.

I still maintain: Pools (the busy, crowded, city-type) increase the likelihood of unhappy pax, and lend themselves to lower driver ratings. Not always - I've had friendly happy Pools and even pax exchanging contact info - but in general.
It's an 2002 with 120k miles. Cheap to insure and cheap to fix. I follow the taxi/law enforcement maintenance schedule and never had a repair I didn't deserve. Lining up another when this one ages out. I hit my 25 rides for the M-Th bonus without going to Chicago except for airports. A huge portion of my pings are repeats that I drive on a regular basis. Many of those are also former pool riders who now order x.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
It's an 2002 with 120k miles. Cheap to insure and cheap to fix. I follow the taxi/law enforcement maintenance schedule and never had a repair I didn't deserve. Lining up another when this one ages out. I hit my 25 rides for the M-Th bonus without going to Chicago except for airports. A huge portion of my pings are repeats that I drive on a regular basis. Many of those are also former pool riders who now order x.
Sounds like you carved-out a nice little groove, there.

After 2 mos I'm still refining my game, getting some grooves, but still pushing and tugging at most anything at least once to see what works. But at least I'm to the point where I'm starting to realize some reasonable and relatively consistent, if moderate, profit. Enough so, that I think I can hang with this a few more months until my other income stream returns. Then it's time to re-evaluate. But dayem, it's nice having that on-off switch on the app!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I got this update while on a trip. I switched from Waze to the Uber app, and the update screen came up.
I couldn't end the trip until I accepted the terms of service agreement.. When I went to read the agreement, it came up on the screen with a typeface I would need a microscope to read, with no way to zoom.
It looks like The only change is a 20¢ increase in the booking fee.
I don't really care what Uber charges for a booking fee, but It really bothers me that I was forced to accept the update in order to finish a trip that I was in the middle of. I think that amounts to coercion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I know Uber is confusing but there us nothing new about the Uberpool fare structure. It has been as you outlined for quite some time now.

The only thing that has changed is the booking fee is $1.40 instead of $1.20. This will not affect your bottom line as we get no part of it as drivers.

Also the minimum fare is shown as $4.40 instead of $4.20. Again, this has no impact on drivers. You will still receive only $2.25 ($3 × .75) for a minimum fare rides.

One thing Uber does well is to confuse drivers!
Which means on a minimum fare ride, Uber gets 49% of the revenue generated.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Take a screen shot before you agree. No way that is legally enforceable. Then again I'm stI'll waiting for tax forms to show up in the mail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yesterday I accepted a pool then the rider immediately canceled it, i got $1.50. That's a positive change.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No pools for me. I take pool only on surge minimum 1.6x and stop incoming request. I am not bus driver.
It's fairly common for me to see 15 minute pool pings when many drivers are closer.
Because closer drivers do not want to take pool and if pax switch to x usually some of the closer driver take it. I spoke with same pax and they stop use pool because long wait or no one pick them up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yesterday I accepted a pool then the rider immediately canceled it, i got $1.50. That's a positive change.
Actually, it's not a change. The $2 cancel charged to for pool riders has been in place from the beginning. Your share is $1.50 and I believe you only get it on the initial rqst. Even so, seems like sometimes I don't get the cancel fee and it's not worth it to me to fight to get it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts