Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I got a text message that this "feature" was coming earlier today. When I clicked on the link in my text message, it took me to the Lyft help pages. It basically said that if you are in the queue, you may get this message, so you should leave the lot and you will get the ride request before you get to the terminal. If you didn't get a request withing 15 minutes, you were to go back to the staging area and you wouldn't lose your place in the queue. I'm wondering exactly what this is supposed to accomplish....

It's called FIFO Pre-Dispatch if you want to look it up on the help pages

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I'm sure the airport authorities will love this one. Just more cars roaming around the circle clogging the roads. Fifteen minutes is a long time. You could make several loops and head back to a lot in that period. Do you have to have a minute counter and what happens if you head back before or after 15 minutes? Go to the back of the que?

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just do Uber. Most I ever waited at the airport was 10 min.
Whatever, I do both, whichever pings first.

Support told me that ignoring the orders (??????) could result in loss of spot in the queue. I only saw it once today. I figure they're trying to get drivers to pre-commit before Uber sends a request. I left Uber on while I drove in, just in case. Took quite a while to get booted out of line.

Totally useless for drivers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Taxis queue at the C Lot (Buckeye Road) just as Uber and Lyft have to. However, taxis have the advantage of a curbside queue also, that fills from the C lot queue. This means that passengers have no wait for a taxi. Unfortunately the wait for U/L from a staging lot can be 10 or 20 minutes, a disadvantage for ride share passengers and drivers. To try to overcome some of this wait at some airports both Uber and Lyft are pre-dispatching. This means they have some vehicles on the way to the airport, cutting the wait time. However, it does depend on airport requests coming in for those pre-dispatched drivers.

It certainly would make more sense allow passengers to have the same level of service for the transportation method preferred more than 3 to 1 over taxis and have queuing at the airport just as taxis.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
The current system works fine, particularly re-match. If riders want taxi service, they can pay taxi rates. Most of the problem stems from driver that don't know their way around the AP. Even if you're in a lot it shouldn't take 20 minutes to get to a terminal. By the way, if you're sitting in the lot instead of out hustling there is zero empathy for you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The current system works fine
Depends on your definition of "works fine". Look at the curbs, no one waiting for cabs, lots of people waiting for rideshare. From the point of view of service, to me that is not "works fine".

If riders want taxi service
They don't want taxi service, they prefer ride share by more than 3 to 1 over taxis (In March 2018 - 48,680 taxi rides, 162,657 rideshare rides)

Even if you're in a lot it shouldn't take 20 minutes to get to a terminal.
Your right, it shouldn't, but too many times it does. Unfortunately, the effect is the same on the passenger whether the delay is caused by traffic or the driver.

If the airport wants to provide service, then they should provide equal or better access to the mode of transportation favored by the majority of passengers. They should have three times as many rideshare cars as taxis staged at the airport curb.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Depends on your definition of "works fine". Look at the curbs, no one waiting for cabs, lots of people waiting for rideshare. From the point of view of service, to me that is not "works fine".

They don't want taxi service, they prefer ride share by more than 3 to 1 over taxis (In March 2018 - 48,680 taxi rides, 162,657 rideshare rides)

Your right, it shouldn't, but too many times it does. Unfortunately, the effect is the same on the passenger whether the delay is caused by traffic or the driver.

If the airport wants to provide service, then they should provide equal or better access to the mode of transportation favored by the majority of passengers. They should have three times as many rideshare cars as taxis staged at the airport curb.
No, because then it'd be all Select, Black and SUV sitting there waiting for a surge to drop down. Current system works just fine. People paying less than half of cab fare can wait. Plus it'll do em good to stretch those legs after being in economy class.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

Well then ride share should pay the price that taxis pay to sit curbside

Well then ride share should pay the price that taxis pay to sit curbside
The last taxi contract cost $60000 per car for taxis

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Well many are not citizens and it's a tried and true method of offering service. You can pay for better service (immediate pickup) or wait a little bit for a cheaper deal. Let's face the facts. Most riders order their Uber or Lyft the minute they get off the plane. Most of the time I wait for the rider not the other way around. This is a tempest in a teapot.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well many are not citizens and it's a tried and true method of offering service. You can pay for better service (immediate pickup) or wait a little bit for a cheaper deal. Let's face the facts. Most riders order their Uber or Lyft the minute they get off the plane. Most of the time I wait for the rider not the other way around. This is a tempest in a teapot.
On a 10 point must system taxi wins first round with immediate pick -up. Then the taxi gets pummeled for nine rounds and still loses 9-1. I guess you call that good service. The passengers think your taxi smells like a sewer doesn't matter how good you think the service is.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Well I guess that depends on your perspective. Is it the City of Phoenix's function to make as much money as possible or provide service to its citizens?
Really you have to ask that of course is to make most money as possible

And wait until operations gets ahold of that text That lift sent out they may get thrown off the airport altogether for encouraging that

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Geez, I'm sure it's never taken me more than 10 min to p/u, even from 44th lot to T2.

Well except for the ride I mentioned in post 1, where I had to do a full loop west and back to finally get pinged at T4 north. Good job Lyft.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts