Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!
I’m thinking of signing up with Lyft in Boston. Don’t have a car so will ise their rental program.
On the website says the rental fee could be $0 if driver make certain numbers of trips.
Question 1
Is it possible to get into this free rental and make those trips without working a lot of crazy hours?
Question 2
Is it profitable$ work full time as a Lyft driver on Boston? (Without Uber)

I will appreciate your inputs.
Thanks.

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
hello!
I'm thinking of signing up with Lyft in Boston. Don't have a car so will ise their rental program.
On the website says the rental fee could be $0 if driver make certain numbers of trips.
Question 1
Is it possible to get into this free rental and make those trips without working a lot of crazy hours?
Question 2

Thanks.
Question 1: No. Expect to put in 50-70 hours in order to complete enough trips. There is plenty of anecdotal claims on here that Lyft stops sending you close rides once you get close to hitting that number, forcing you to stay online and accept Line rides or rides with a long pick up time to discourage you.

Question 2: What do you mean by profitable? After your expenses, factoring in car depreciation, you are looking at $20-25/hour MAX once you have got the hang of it and know where/when to drive. This will require some split shifts, and long days. When you start, you're looking at closer to $10-15/hour (net, after expenses).

·
Registered
176 Posts
hello!
I'm thinking of signing up with Lyft in Boston. Don't have a car so will ise their rental program.
Question 1
Question 2

Thanks.
You can make money, but to be honest Lyft is just not a good Rideshare company overall, this is coming from a new Driver, if you think you can drive that many hours, then okay. Lyft will cap your hours, there are claims they actually will stop sending you rides to encourage you to logoff.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I don't advise going through the rental program to drive. the best way to do rideshare is to drive for both uber and lyft using your own preferable used car. Some people make the rental program work but you are hurting your income by doing it because you can only drive for lyft and don't qualify for many of their incentives.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
its possible to get the free rental but this will take some time to get a feel for the job
i think its like 140 rides a week to get it for free so i would expect to be in the car around 70 - 80 hours a week, and you will net a little over a thousand. if this sounds good to you, go for it

this will take some time to figure out as well, its not driving around and money falls in your bank account

like others have said, it would be better to get a loan for a decent accord/corolla/prius, even if its a buy here pay here car loan and drive for both uber and lyft to get the most out of it, you could pay off a good used car in a half a year and be able to write off all your miles.

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
I don't advise going through the rental program to drive. the best way to do rideshare is to drive for both uber and lyft using your own preferable used car. Some people make the rental program work but you are hurting your income by doing it because you can only drive for lyft and don't qualify for many of their incentives.
You need to get a fairly new car to qualify for Lyfts incentives though. 2012 or newer (it'll probably change to that in Jan).

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
You can make money, but to be honest Lyft is just not a good Rideshare company overall, this is coming from a new Driver, if you think you can drive that many hours, then okay. Lyft will cap your hours, there are claims they actually will stop sending you rides to encourage you to logoff.
Doesn't Lyft cap your hours at 14, then requires six hours logged off? That should be enough for most any driver.

Yes, as John1975 said, with the Lyft rental program, a renter doesn't qualify for the Power Drive Bonus or some of the other promos. And the "free car" necessitates 90% acceptance weekly. Plus a number of prime time hours, plus over 100 hours weekly. That's a lot of pressure, especially the 90%. I hit that once in early 2017 but then Lyft added from 75 rides to 100 plus weekly to get the "free car.". Taxes and fees were added, maybe $25-$45 weekly.

I had a car at Hertz within 24 hours earlier in the year. Months later I tried but had to wait a week.

And as been mentioned previously, MavenGig, new in Boston, rents by the week, and you can use for any rideshare and any delivery app. It may take awhile for an available car from what some have said.

Let us know your results with renting, as things change often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts