Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,298 Posts
Hey guys just moved here and I'm thinking of doing Uber,, how is it over here? Decent money? I would appreciate all you guys opinion
In 1 word..
no

You did uber in NYC?

Your costs will be a lot less (then NYC with the much higher insurance and other costs),but your revenue will be a tiny fraction of what you brought in working in NYC.

My advice is to sign up for a cab company *cough MEARS cough*, or to give up on driving people for a living.

The pay rates here are 53c a mile 8c a minute

A half hour 20 something mile drive from WDW to the airport (or the airport to WDW) pays out a mere $20 (including reimbursement for the tolls ONE WAY).

Expect lots of $3.50 min trips that take 15-20 minutes to complete start to end. 5-10 to get to the customer 0-4:59 waiting for the customer, 2 mile 10 minute drive, and not break the min payout threshold.

Uber simply has the rates too low to make anything.

Taxi rentals on the other hand start at $47 for new (to the company) drivers.

I personally pay $73 to rent a taxi by the shift (full rate) and make $100 taxable profit on a slow night driving someone elses car. I average $150 profit.

Reactions: Lawlet91

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Hey guys just moved here and I'm thinking of doing Uber,, how is it over here? Decent money? I would appreciate all you guys opinion
If you can get any other job paying at least $8 an hour then you should take it and never look back. The rates are very low in Orlando and the traffic is usually very high. That is a horrible combination.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Unless you have lived here in the past and know this vast area on FUberX as it's been said, you are NOT gonna make enough to buy fuel.
You need to know the area, you need to have the right vehicle(XL / Select) then, get a square reader and any chance you get do private rides.

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,298 Posts
If you can get any other job paying at least $8 an hour then you should take it and never look back. The rates are very low in Orlando and the traffic is usually very high. That is a horrible combination.
you do realize that min wage for Florida is $8.25 right?

So essentially you are saying... do literally anything else.

I would tend to agree with this sentiment, I work for the biggest employer in all of Orlandoish and you can even get benefits once you make it past seasonal and onto full time.

I would NOT recommend working at WDW for min wage thou, there's a ton of employers all over who will pay min wage. You just have to look.

Instead of driving uber i would recommend doing something on I-drive. All of the happiness of Disney without the 30 minute walk to the time clock from the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
In 1 word..
no

You did uber in NYC?

Your costs will be a lot less (then NYC with the much higher insurance and other costs),but your revenue will be a tiny fraction of what you brought in working in NYC.

My advice is to sign up for a cab company *cough MEARS cough*, or to give up on driving people for a living.

The pay rates here are 53c a mile 8c a minute

A half hour 20 something mile drive from WDW to the airport (or the airport to WDW) pays out a mere $20 (including reimbursement for the tolls ONE WAY).

Expect lots of $3.50 min trips that take 15-20 minutes to complete start to end. 5-10 to get to the customer 0-4:59 waiting for the customer, 2 mile 10 minute drive, and not break the min payout threshold.

Uber simply has the rates too low to make anything.

Taxi rentals on the other hand start at $47 for new (to the company) drivers.

I personally pay $73 to rent a taxi by the shift (full rate) and make $100 taxable profit on a slow night driving someone elses car. I average $150 profit.
$73? What fleet?
What types of fares are you picking up to make that kind of money?

I used to drive for Mears from 1994 to 1996, and then again briefly in 2014 and 2015. I ended up driving for Uber because it fit my schedule and I was making more money.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
$73 is the city fleet, and if you work dispatch the money is good enough to outpace Uber earnings
City fleet 9:00 pm

Yellow fleet 9:00 pm is $84

$73? What fleet?
What types of fares are you picking up to make that kind of money?

I used to drive for Mears from 1994 to 1996, and then again briefly in 2014 and 2015. I ended up driving for Uber because it fit my schedule and I was making more money.
In 2014-2015 you probobly DID make more money.
I know I made more money. That's why I'm on here becauase I WAS making more money when I was ubering full time.

But then they started slashing rates paid to drivers.

Back in 2014 when Uber started (it) was over $1.00 per paid mile.

When it was cut to 90c a mile I cut way back, when it hit 67c per paid mile I went to peak hours only on Uber Friday/Saturday and weeknight driving on Mears. Sun, wed, thurs.

Then when it was cut to 48c a mile I went to only destination filter trips.

Then when they finally got the legal stuff straightened with the state, I quit completely cause I had no intention of paying more money for insurance to get maybe $40 a week in fares.

Now it's 53c a mile 8c a minute. Which is laughably barely better than when I quit

Now I drive 3-5 Mears shifts a Month and work full time at Disney driving buses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Then when they finally got the legal stuff straightened with the state, I quit completely cause I had no intention of paying more money for insurance to get maybe $40 a week in fares
The additional insurance requred by the state law, 100,000 per incident injury and 25,000 property while logged on and the 1,000,000 while on a ride is all paid for by uber. There is no reason to pay more for it.
Product Font Material property Screenshot Parallel
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Design

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
The additional insurance requred by the state law, 100,000 per incident injury and 25,000 property while logged on and the 1,000,000 while on a ride is all paid for by uber. There is no reason to pay more for it.
View attachment 238260 View attachment 238261
Uber is NOT in ANY WAY legally required to provide coverage to FIX YOUR CAR!

Did you even know that?

THE ONLY THING THAT IS STATE MANDATED IS LIABILITY INSURANCE

Uber does not provide certain types of coverage unless your policy has that type of coverage. And they have denied people coverage under these situations.

So Yes and NO..
By the letter of the law you are 100% correct

However by the terms of your insurance policy you may be eligible to have your policy canceled at any moment.

In the state of Florida,
If you actually want to get YOUR CAR FIXED,

And just so you know... your personal insurance carrier is allowed to inquire with uber about the times you are LOGGED IN to the uber app. Any time you are LOGGED IN, any insurance company tht does not specifically IN WRITING authorize you to be an uber/lyft driver can deny coverage for any time you are LOGGED IN.

(actually ANY insurer can deny coverage while you are logged in, and they can inquire with uber for the SOLE purpose of denying you coverage,) you NEED a policy that says you can do it, if not the state says they can deny you coverage.

You need to pay extra money (over state minimum insurance) to get a policy that does the following. {OR else} and (this real world example is what could happen)

NOTE...

THESE SITUATIONS ONLY APPLY TO FIXING YOUR CAR, you are 100% correct, all the state mandated insurance coverage is in fact covered by uber.

The state allows insurance companies to cut you off any time you are logged into the uber or lyft DRIVER APP.

Uber and lyft however don't cover your car until you are going to pick up a customer.
https://www.uber.com/drive/insurance/

So everything that is "period 1" no one is providing you any coverage to fix your car unless you have a rideshare Policy.

However you are NOT guilty of the misdemonor crime of "transporting passengers without insurance" if you don't have a rideshare policy, there is just no coverage for your car.

However to fill in the massive gaping holes to insurance coverage you NEED (With an all caps) the 5 following things.

1. Allows you to drive for a transportation Network company IN WRITING
{If you don't have it, they can deny coverage for any reason to fix your vehicle and CANCEL YOU WITHOUT WARNING Retroactivly}
(if they find an uber/lyft sticker on your car they can cancel your policy or deny coverage for breaking the terms of your policy)

2A. IN WRITING, provides coverage for your vehicle above and beyond what uber covers while logged into the uber app.
OR
2B. IN WRITING, covers your car when you are logged into the uber app and not actively assigned to a fare

Essentially, you file a claim with uber/lyft if you are online (not on a fare, ANY TIME YOU ARE ONLINE) and if they deny you, you refile with your personal insurance carrier. OR they attempt to collect the insurance claim from uber, and if they can't get money from uber they provide coverage to you to fix your car.

All of these following situations are not covered by a state minimum insurance policy, and are above and beyond what is required for ANY Insurer to provide. And all of them have happened to me or someone i know on the job.

3. Provides collision insurance
{If you don't, uber does not provide collision coverage for you AT ANY TIME}
(If you are at fault without this, uber will not pay to fix your car, if you have a customer, or are driving to pick one up... your insurance will deny you coverage, and is allowed to under law. If you don't have this, your insurance company will NEVER pay to fix YOUR CAR)

4. Provides Comprehensive insurance
{If you don't, uber does not provide comprehensive coverage for you AT ANY TIME}
(If you kill Bambi (the deer) uber will not pay to fix your car, If you are logged into uber in any way shape or form.. your insurance will deny you coverage, and is allowed to UNDER LAW.)

5. Provides Uninsured/under insured motorist coverage
{If you don't, uber does not provide under insured motorist coverage for you AT ANY TIME}
(If someone who is at fault hits you and doesn't have insurance, uber will not pay to fix your car If you are logged in, your insurance will deny you coverage, and is allowed to under law.) THIS ALSO INCLUDES HIT AND RUNS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes and no..
By the letter of the law you are 100% correct

However by the terms of your insurance policy you may be eligible to have your policy canceled at any moment.

In the state of Florida,
If you actually want to get YOUR CAR FIXED,

And just so you know... your personal insurance carrier is allowed to inquire with uber about the times you are LOGGED IN to the uber app. Any time you are LOGGED IN, any insurance company tht does not specifically IN WRITING authorize you to be an uber/lyft driver can deny coverage for any time you are LOGGED IN.

If they find you are LOGGED IN AT ALL, EVER and have NOT been given WRITTEN PERMISSION to be an uber driver they can cancel your policy at any time or deny a renewal or straight up refuse to sell you insurance that isn't "rideshare" insurance.

You need to pay extra money (over state minimum insurance) to get a policy that does the following. {OR else} and (this real world example is what could happen)

NOTE...

THESE SITUATIONS ONLY APPLY TO FIXING YOUR CAR, you are 100% correct, all the state mandated insurance coverage is in fact covered by uber.

everything else is covered by uber the moment you go online and uber/lyft are required by law to do so.

1. Allows you to driver for a transportation Network company IN WRITING
{If you don't have it, they can deny coverage for any reason to fix your vehicle and CANCEL YOU WITHOUT WARNING Retroactivly}
(if they find an uber/lyft sticker on your car they can cancel your policy or deny coverage for breaking the terms of your policy)

2A. IN WRITING, provides coverage for your vehicle above and beyond what uber covers while logged into the uber app.
OR
2B. IN WRITING, covers your car when you are logged into the uber app and not actively assigned to a fare
Essentially, you file a claim with uber/lyft if you are online (not on a fare, ANY TIME YOU ARE ONLINE) and if they deny you, you refile with your personal insurance carrier. OR they attempt to collect the insurance claim from uber, and if they can't get money from uber they provide coverage to you to fix your car.

(none of these are required by law in the state of Florida) A "minimum state insurance policy" will cover none of these. These are entirely optional to get and you will NEVER get a ticket for not having them. However these are MASSIVE holes that are present in your insurnae policy regardless of whether or not you drive for uber, they just get much much worse if you are logged in.

3. Provides collision insurance
{If you don't, uber does not provide collision coverage for you AT ANY TIME}
(If you are at fault without this, uber will not pay to fix your car, if you have a customer, or are driving to pick one up... your insurance will deny you coverage, and is allowed to under law. If you don't have this, your insurance company will NEVER pay to fix YOUR CAR)

4. Provides Comprehensive insurance
{If you don't, uber does not provide comprehensive coverage for you AT ANY TIME}
(If you kill Bambi (the deer) uber will not pay to fix your car, If you are logged into uber in any way shape or form.. your insurance will deny you coverage, and is allowed to UNDER LAW.)

5. Provides Uninsured/under insured motorist coverage
{If you don't, uber does not provide under insured motorist coverage for you AT ANY TIME}
(If someone who is at fault hits you and doesn't have insurance, uber will not pay to fix your car If you are logged in, your insurance will deny you coverage, and is allowed to under law.)
That is a lot of information (that I was already aware of) but it really missed the point. I was responding to the idea that the state ride share law requires anyone to by more insurance, and it doesn't because the insurance that it mandates is covered by Uber/Lyft.

Obviously, if you lie to your insurance company about vehicle usage, you can get your claims denied or policy cancelled. That was true before the law and applies to a lot more than rideshare usage. And as far as getting your own vehicle fixed, obviously it doesn't cover that because that is not what liability insurance does. Liability insurance covers another drive that you might hit, comp/collision is what covers your own car should you choose to carry it.

I just don't see how anything you said here is in any way related to the new rideshare law.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
That is a lot of information (that I was already aware of) but it really missed the point. I was responding to the idea that the state ride share law requires anyone to by more insurance, and it doesn't because the insurance that it mandates is covered by Uber/Lyft.

Obviously, if you lie to your insurance company about vehicle usage, you can get your claims denied or policy cancelled. That was true before the law and applies to a lot more than rideshare usage. And as far as getting your own vehicle fixed, obviously it doesn't cover that because that is not what liability insurance does. Liability insurance covers another drive that you might hit, comp/collision is what covers your own car should you choose to carry it.

I just don't see how anything you said here is in any way related to the new rideshare law.
Before the new rideshare law... the insurance companies werent entitled to information about your Log-in status and had no way of obtaining it.

Now they do..

Also they didn't ban people for doing rideshare, because uber provided coverage while on app, this is not the case.

Vinny, Be careful with your coverage,

You have zero coverage provided by uber during period one for your own car. The one that gives you collision comprehensive only applies after accepting a fair.

"It only applies between "going to the pickup location, and from the pickup location to the dropoff location"

The one that is liability only apples "when you are ready to accept fares" until "you accept a fare"

No fare, no coverage...

·
Registered
19 Posts
No fare, no coverage...
Yea, I know. When you are logged in but not on a call you are covered, by the 50,000/100,000/25,000 liability portion only, and you need comp/collision (optional not required) to cover your own vehicle, liability covers the vehicle of someone you might hit, I just said that. This has always been true, it predates the law, hell, it predates the existence of Uber.

If you want to protect your vehicle, buy comp/collision (I don't because I drive a town car I paid $1,300 for), of you don't want to risk a denied claim or cancelled policy, don't lie to your insurance company.

That entire statement would be true without the existence of Uber, Lyft, or the state rideshare law.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts