Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new law that goes into effect July 1st makes it illegal to touch our phones to accept a ride if not in park.

Please, please tell me I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I took an Uber ride a couple years ago in River North where the driver was holding his phone on his lap.
I didn't feel a strong sense of safety during that ride.
You should have 1 stared him or her and reported to Uber. The driver would have rightly been deactivated for safety reasons as Uber has a strict policy against not using a holder. Then the driver must confirm that the foolishness has been corrected in order to be reinstated.

Resolved.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
It's all a matter of luck what and when you get ticketed. Ive had the experience of getting a ticket when I first started 4 years ago for having the phone in the hand when I was still figuring the gig out. I got a ticket as soon as one of my headlights went out, and I didn't even realize it, but the cop chose to give a ticket in stead of a warning. One shouldn't try to push their good luck for too long.

And it's so easy to drive without holding the phone all the time. After trying all different holders, I'm sold on the magnetic vents ones, cheap and replaceable, allows me to take my phone off or on the holder quite easily as need be - a key issue for me.

These are a few swivel options that I bought from amazon that worked for me:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Been with Uber four years. Have never used a cell phone holder. I am not a cab.
I don't know how you do it....... tried without phone for my first few month doing rideshare and it was hard ( I only realized that after I got the phone mount). I have a magnetic mount and a magnetic phone cover, easy in/out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I asked a Lake County Sheriff about this last night. Never hold your phone he said. Use bluetooth to talk. Don't have your phone mounted on the windshield where you can be seen tapping it. I said I was an Uber driver and he suggested mounting the phone farther down out of the line of sight for a passing officer.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I asked a Lake County Sheriff about this last night. Never hold your phone he said. Use bluetooth to talk. Don't have your phone mounted on the windshield where you can be seen tapping it. I said I was an Uber driver and he suggested mounting the phone farther down out of the line of sight for a passing officer.
No, that officer is wrong. A brief tap is acceptable and legal. Everybody and their mother, even non-rideshare folks, have their phone mounted directly and proudly in the center of the windshield. He is old school and just needs to retire and take more naps.

It's so legal I have heard directly from a young police family member that while they can and do ticket for any obstruction such as dice, freshener, etc, they can not ticket for a windshield mounted cell phone.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Acording to some people here you are not allowed to turn the radio on or open the windows!!!!!!! Karachi explain as clear as possible what you can do and what is illegal. Wtf, acording to some you’ll need a copilot to do rideshare. Some people go too far with this, just relax and don’t hold your phone with your hands. To go even further, did this law specified that rideshare becomes illegal? Some need to go shopping for some brain. Done.

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
What will get ticketed, mostly in Chicago, is the idiot rideshare driver poking at his phone while at a stoplight and the light turns green, and he still poking not paying attention to his surroundings.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yet it's still legal to cruise down the highway applying lipstick, mascara, or eating a sandwich (and, soon, rolling a joint - yes it takes some skill at 60mph).

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Illinois police city,state,or suburban, will not ticket you just for cell phone use. They just add it to other tickets when they see someone that needs an equipment violation,or the rare speeding ticket. I was on Lake Shore Drive the other day and cars were passing cops at 20 + mph over the limit while talking on their phones which were in their hands. The cops in Chicago only respond to where they are dispatched, they arent out to do work, they just count the days until they can retire without getting shot or being the center of a news story.

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Illinois police city,state,or suburban, will not ticket you just for cell phone use. They just add it to other tickets when they see someone that needs an equipment violation,or the rare speeding ticket. I was on Lake Shore Drive the other day and cars were passing cops at 20 + mph over the limit while talking on their phones which were in their hands. The cops in Chicago only respond to where they are dispatched, they arent out to do work, they just count the days until they can retire without getting shot or being the center of a news story.
Looks like your bringing out the dead this thread is 18 months old

1 - 20 of 37 Posts