Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Twin Cities!

I'm new here but I have been browsing the forums for a couple months. I know that when others have posted about "should I do it?" it's usually fairly negative, but let me lay out my reasons why I'm thinking this would be a viable PT job and please let me know what your advice would be to me, all opinions welcome! I'm considering Lyft initially and if I get to feeling comfortable with it I will consider Uber as well.

Firstly, my FT job is a retail Assistant Manager, so I need a PT job that is very very flexible. I can be called in at any time if someone calls in sick or doesn't show, so I would have a very hard time with anything that has set shifts.

Secondly, I just got a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage, which gets 35-40 MPG. It would be a decent car for driving for this reason, but it is small and rather noisy inside. Not the smoothest ride which I could see being a negative for passengers as well, BUT it's overall a cute zippy thing.

Thirdly, I'm in a financial bind at the moment and would like to be able to work a LOT and whenever I need. First things first is getting money to move end of August, next would be getting caught up with Student Loans, and thereafter money earned would be used for paying off my car (which I think I could do in about a year of working 20-30 hrs a week at $12 an hour, or at least I can make a decent dent in the amount I owe).

Now, the more negative factors I'm considering (feel free to flesh out more of your thoughts on these as well) are things like the cost of car insurance (I got a quote from Farmer's with the rideshare option and my monthly payment would go from $225 to $325),
the safety factor (it does make me a tich nervous to think about driving strangers around as a female, I would mostly do mornings until I got a cab-cam and maybe a taser haha, any advice on this front is very welcome also),
the wear and tear on the vehicle (i plan on being very on top of the maintenance schedule and all of that, and I'm not anticipating having to spend too much on repairs as it's a new car),
unruly/rude/puking customers (i'll plan on always having plastic bags for throw up and maybe bottles of water to offer, other little touches like that to keep people happy; also this would hopefully be less of a concern driving mornings),
and finally my car's warranties - these would be null and void if I do this, but I'm not sure the likelihood it would actually come up that I use my car commercially if I needed to use a warranty....idk.

Anyways sorry for the long post but this is something I am seriously considering as a way to make money quick and flexibly. And I need all the advice I can get. Thank you for reading and sorry if I missed any rules or things I'm supposed to do when posting new threads. Happy Driving!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Travelers insurance has a rideshare option too. I worked for Travelers before. Safety wise be careful. I had a few times some passengers made me unsafe. There was a time where a lady brought along 2 guys and after I dropped her off she asked me to drop them off in another location but during the ride I heard her saying she just met them few hours prior to requesting me so if they were to do something to me no one would know since she didn't even know them herself. I told them I had to be somewhere else and dropped them all off.

Summer driving is less wear and tear but cars don't last forever. Get full synthetic oil and you won't have to change oil for 10,000 miles. I made about $5,000 so far and my car is almost at 10,000 miles and it never even had its first oil change.

Avoid car wash places like gas stations because those machines will scratch up your car. Go to one of those places that let you use hoses so you can manually wash yourself
I doubt your warranty cares you do this. Most or all warranties are limited so they know eventually people will reach the mile or year the warranty ends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Travelers insurance has a rideshare option too. I worked for Travelers before. Safety wise be careful. I had a few times some passengers made me unsafe. There was a time where a lady brought along 2 guys and after I dropped her off she asked me to drop them off in another location but during the ride I heard her saying she just met them few hours prior to requesting me so if they were to do something to me no one would know since she didn't even know them herself. I told them I had to be somewhere else and dropped them all off.

Summer driving is less wear and tear but cars don't last forever. Get full synthetic oil and you won't have to change oil for 10,000 miles. I made about $5,000 so far and my car is almost at 10,000 miles and it never even had its first oil change.

Avoid car wash places like gas stations because those machines will scratch up your car. Go to one of those places that let you use hoses so you can manually wash yourself.
Thanks for the tips, I will be sure to look into Travelers.

Situations like that are exactly what I would be nervous about - but I suppose it's an opportunity to put my assertiveness skills to use.

Thank you Ozzyoz for your input, I very much appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi Twin Cities!

I'm new here but I have been browsing the forums for a couple months. I know that when others have posted about "should I do it?" it's usually fairly negative, but let me lay out my reasons why I'm thinking this would be a viable PT job and please let me know what your advice would be to me, all opinions welcome! I'm considering Lyft initially and if I get to feeling comfortable with it I will consider Uber as well.

Firstly, my FT job is a retail Assistant Manager, so I need a PT job that is very very flexible. I can be called in at any time if someone calls in sick or doesn't show, so I would have a very hard time with anything that has set shifts.

Secondly, I just got a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage, which gets 35-40 MPG. It would be a decent car for driving for this reason, but it is small and rather noisy inside. Not the smoothest ride which I could see being a negative for passengers as well, BUT it's overall a cute zippy thing.

Thirdly, I'm in a financial bind at the moment and would like to be able to work a LOT and whenever I need. First things first is getting money to move end of August, next would be getting caught up with Student Loans, and thereafter money earned would be used for paying off my car (which I think I could do in about a year of working 20-30 hrs a week at $12 an hour, or at least I can make a decent dent in the amount I owe).

Now, the more negative factors I'm considering (feel free to flesh out more of your thoughts on these as well) are things like the cost of car insurance (I got a quote from Farmer's with the rideshare option and my monthly payment would go from $225 to $325),
the safety factor (it does make me a tich nervous to think about driving strangers around as a female, I would mostly do mornings until I got a cab-cam and maybe a taser haha, any advice on this front is very welcome also),
the wear and tear on the vehicle (i plan on being very on top of the maintenance schedule and all of that, and I'm not anticipating having to spend too much on repairs as it's a new car),
unruly/rude/puking customers (i'll plan on always having plastic bags for throw up and maybe bottles of water to offer, other little touches like that to keep people happy; also this would hopefully be less of a concern driving mornings),
and finally my car's warranties - these would be null and void if I do this, but I'm not sure the likelihood it would actually come up that I use my car commercially if I needed to use a warranty....idk.

Anyways sorry for the long post but this is something I am seriously considering as a way to make money quick and flexibly. And I need all the advice I can get. Thank you for reading and sorry if I missed any rules or things I'm supposed to do when posting new threads. Happy Driving!
toooooo mannnny words can someone give me as TLDR

·
Registered
724 Posts
As a female driver, bring a pepper spray, just in case. And of course, trust your instinct.

No need to carry water or food for passengers. Part-time is a good idea, you will learn how to not lose money such as a long pick-up.

Airport pickup is tricky, I try to avoid it. Often times passengers were confused where to go, you are only allowed to go to the taxi area.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi Twin Cities!

I would sign up for both - they offer different incentives, it doesn't cost anything more ( you can use the same $30 inspection for both) - and when its slow, you will stay busier having both turned on (remember to turn one off when accepting a ride). When its busy don't bother with both. You stay much busier with Uber than Lyft (I do anyway) - although Lyft has the built in tipping feature, but Uber riders seem to be tipping more (I've noticed and seen other people agree with that). I've given 1400 rides since August when I started, haven't had any bad passengers (but I'm 6'6" and 265 pounds so a little different than being a woman safety wise, and not as old as my avatar might hint at, although I am crabby, and I like it like that LOL ). I avoid the bar scenes - do very well early a.m.s (on weekends mostly) and passengers are either going to work, airport, or back to pick up cars from previous nights festivities, and pretty sobered up, and not causing any problems. I think it avoids lots of problems not driving after bars. The weekly summaries I get from Uber , show my hourly earnings are right around the "top drivers" they show for comparison. Everyone says not to chase far pings - I disagree- the long pings way out in the burbs tend to be big fares (I do have an XL however, which doubles the fares if I get an XL request). And if that ping is a short fare (it happens) - you are in an area with no drivers, and the next one will probably be big. Good luck - its a fun job!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts