Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Traci. I'm a nursing student and am just finishing the process of becoming a partner. I have been out of work for 3 months and am hoping to make enough with uber that I can continue to stay in school. If something doesn't turn around for me soon I'll have to quit and go back to corporate America. I worked on the ambulance for many years so driving with strangers isn't totally foreign to me, though most of my patients were headed for the ER, so it'll be different having a breathing and talking passenger. I am hoping to make friends with people locally who drive too, and maybe get some hints and tips or tricks. Please be gentle with me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hi, NursingStudent22.

Welcome to the forum!

Please read your Partnership Agreement.

New Drivers have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Traci,
Although I am not in Canada, I believe our insurance coverage by Uber maybe somewhat the same. I appreciate someone from Canada correcting me if what I know about insurance here in the States does not apply to Canada.

Uber insurance is commercial liability only. Should you be in an at-fault accident, Uber insurance (James River underwriter here in the States) will cover the expenses of your passengers, and that of the other driver(s) (medical, property). In no manner does the JR cover the driver for any expenses.

For your expenses you may need to purchase an Commercial Auto Policy (collision/comprehensive) to cover yourself while you are driving to pick up pax and transporting them to their destination.

The commercial auto policy should cover you (I have been told) during your personal driving also.

That leaves just personal liability that needs to be covered.

Ride-share insurance here in the States is a personal policy that will cover you during the time you have your app on and are awaiting notification of a rider.
That is what is called the "gap" where Uber does not cover you because you do not have a notification, nor does a normal personal policy because you are on the app.

Here are the most recent articles I can find on Canadian insurance and an uberx driver who is suing b/c Uber did not cover him.

http://www.cp24.com/news/canadian-a...with-uber-on-new-ridesharing-policy-1.2552524
http://globalnews.ca/news/2172234/u...ke-legal-action-after-major-crash-in-toronto/

Take time to review the agreement you made with Uber. "Flexible work hours + easy money" I have found to mean one "works themselves to death" to make the money you want. This was the same speal Amway and Tupperware used. Be sure when that first paycheck comes in you deduct say the equivelant of 35 cents USD for gas, depreciation, maintenance, and other assorted things like tires you will need. To find calculate the true cost-per-mile of driving your car, here is a blog from a very well known member of the forum.

https://uberpeople.net/xfa-blog-entry/how-to-calculate-costs-as-an-uber-driver.23/

I wish you luck to succeed in the goals you have set.
UberNorthStar :)

PS Here in the states I know of no personal policy that will cover me should I be driving people for a charge, called vehicle-for-hire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UberNorthStar; thank you so much for responding. I actually am from Ontario California, not Canada. Though I'd love to live in Canada! I just renewed my car insurance and noticed a large section that let me know that ride share is excluded. I am hesitant to tell them I am starting for uber because I don't want to be cancelled and right now can't afford an insurance increase for additional coverage. Seems I am between the Rock and the hard place in that regard.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just call me Star. I hope you took to heart what I told you. I would advixe my own children who are 30+ years against doing this. Look at the website www.****************. He lists the individual states and the insurance companies that carry ride-share insurance. Again that ride-share is just covering the "gap" when you have your app on waiting for a request that Uber does not cover. What I said about insurance is correct. BTW, I am probably old enough to be your grandmother. (Don't know if that is good or bad.) :)/:(

Please click on "Binding Arbitration" in my welcome and read the thread for newcomers. Do you know how much you are being paid per mile? Do you know what your commission to Uber is? I am being paid $1.10 p/m and 15 cent/min. My commission is 1/5 of my gross fares each week. That is 1/2 of the charge of cabbies in Houston p/m and 37% of a cabby's p/min. My first drive was 62 minutes for $55.72. After Uber deducted the Safe Rider Fee and tolls and took its 20% commission, I deducted my mileage and 15.3% for taxes since I (and you) are considered independent contractors. My net was $18.60, which sounds good. Most fares are only a few miles I understand.

You need to keep track of the miles while you have the Uber app on whether you are driving to/with pax or not. The dead miles count towards tax deductions.

Traci, It is 1:01 Tuesday and well-past bedtime. In six hrs one of my dogs will wake me up. I need to go. Since you have people experience, have you thought about waiting tables? Since it is coming up on the holidays, the stores are hiring stockers for night shift. Check around. You are better than an Uber driver.

Do keep in touch!
Star

·
Premium Member
11,153 Posts
Welcome NS2.

Hopefully nothing will happen until you can get Farmers Ins.

Good luck out there.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Amsoil Uber Connect said:
Hopefully nothing will happen until you can get Farmers Ins.
AUC,
I talked to a Farmers agent in Little Rock, Arkansas
today. Farmers' ride-share insurance does not fully cover a driver. Ride-share ins is a personal policy that covers the gap that Uber does not cover when a driver has the app on and has not received a request.

RIde-share does not cover the damages a driver incurs when in an at-fault accident while driving to pickup pax and delivering pax to destination. A driver needs commercial auto Coll/Comp/Medical coverage during the time Uber commercial liability is in effect.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
So far in this thread we've had confusion about two Ontarios and now Little Rock Alaska.

Good thing geography isn't that important.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
<------------ I know my geography. Just did not use correct USPS abbreviation. Am familiar with Ontario, Canada, not Ontario, CA, smart a$$.
So far in this thread we've had confusion about two Ontarios and now Little Rock Alaska.

Good thing geography isn't that important.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome, I suggest if you're thinking of becoming a new driver learn the tricks on making money in this type of business. IE is not the best market to be in. There's never surge or prime time out here but once in a while you'll get lucky and get a rider that'll want you to head to OC, SD or LA. I also suggest reading the forums, watch youtube videos. You'll get the hang of it after a while. Good luck and remember if any pax ever gets out of hand, tell them to get the hell out of your car :) It's your car and you have the right to kick them out if they're getting out of hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts