Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Uber:
How did you figure out this was a good idea without a cancellation policy.
Assuming someone schedule a ride in McKinney and the closest driver is in Plano, how would you possibly ask someone to drive 20min without guaranteeing money.
I was in the cab business and I know all about this, these are examples of poeple scheduling their pick ups and not being there when the driver makes it to the pick up location :
1) A person going to the airport and got their flight cancelled but didn't have time or forgot to cancel the uber pick up.
2) people who had friends swing by to pick them up last minute to the airport but forget or don't care enough to click and cancel.
3) Riders going to a concert on a busy day and scheduling uber , taxi and Lyft just to make sure they get there on time, and when they get a ride they wont bother cancelling.
4) Riders that will enter the pick up and drop of location reversed, so when you go to pick them up, they will tell you that where you at is their drop off address.
I could go on and on giving you examples, the bottom line is. Do you want drivers to be calling people before going to their pick up location, and if so... Cancelling if they don't answer is at the driver's discrepancy?
Last but not least, so many drivers were wondering why this option wasn't available, they just don't know what they asked for :)
Sincerely,
One of your slaves

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
From the description of the service, I don't believe the driver(s) will be notified in advance that this is a scheduled ride. A driver will be dispatched from the available driver pool with sufficient lead time to arrive at the pickup to provide the service.

So basically, I doubt drivers will have a clue if/when these rides are happening.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The risk to drivers is greatest when there at the least amount of drivers available right? That's when you'd most likely have to drive the farthest for a scheduled pickup. Hopefully the scheduled rides are not a surprise to drivers. Really hope so. Although I will only take XL scheduled rides and doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the description of the service, I don't believe the driver(s) will be notified in advance that this is a scheduled ride. A driver will be dispatched from the available driver pool with sufficient lead time to arrive at the pickup to provide the service.

So basically, I doubt drivers will have a clue if/when these rides are happening.
Keep in mind that people schedule airport pickups mostly early morning. It rarely happens when there is plenty of drivers in the area

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hilarious and i have zero interest without a cancelation fee as mentioned. As for a scheduled pick up i don't know about? Zero worries since i won't take any ping over 5 minutes away in the first place.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I am thinking this will result in 20+ minute requests, which I am pretty sure Uber has looked at the data and determined:
  • New drivers will drive 20+ minutes without compensation
  • Rides where there is not a driver available always has a driver available within 30 minutes
    • Has anyone noticed at the start of surge the algorithm goes further out to pull drivers in (20 minutes is the most I have seen)? It will go to to no car available then reach further out.
I think that many riders will get a ride however I think the rides coming from the outskirts will be left without a ride especially trying to catch that 4am airport ride. I can see drivers sitting at the airport getting a request 30 minutes away only to be coming back to the airport.

I wouldn't be surprised if Uber adds a 'scheduling fee' and of course, pockets that money.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am thinking this will result in 20+ minute requests, which I am pretty sure Uber has looked at the data and determined:
  • New drivers will drive 20+ minutes without compensation
  • Rides where there is not a driver available always has a driver available within 30 minutes
    • Has anyone noticed at the start of surge the algorithm goes further out to pull drivers in (20 minutes is the most I have seen)? It will go to to no car available then reach further out.
I think that many riders will get a ride however I think the rides coming from the outskirts will be left without a ride especially trying to catch that 4am airport ride. I can see drivers sitting at the airport getting a request 30 minutes away only to be coming back to the airport.

I wouldn't be surprised if Uber adds a 'scheduling fee' and of course, pockets that money.
Exactly! Just like the "events" fee!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly! Just like the "events" fee!
I don't think a scheduling fee will ever apply and frankly this option will go away soon. I am surprised they didn't experiment with U- Black first.
Scheduling fee is like guaranteeing to the passanger that they will be picked up on time. And when someone misses a flight and sues uber, it will cost them much more publicly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.