Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...costs-saving-can-prove-elusive-529905771.html

I agree with the report. But Uber can greatly improve the situation.

First, make pooling default option, unless pax explicitly opt out from pooling for additional fee.

Second, make client app smarter by switching UberX car for pax if closer one become available. I.e. I drive mostly in Oakville/Burlington area, where not many UberX drivers around. I often get calls 10km away. I start driving and minute later I see available UberX car pops up right beside rider's pick up location. I'd rater to have my ride cancelled and request go to closer car. Yes, I loose ride in this situation, but I will get ride when situation reversed. At the end drivers win with less deadhead miles, Uber and pax win with higher availability and faster response, city wins with less congestion and less emission.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
“The 23-page report was commissioned by Beck Taxi”

And she who pays the piper calls the tune.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I live in the heart of manhattan in ny uber is a legitimate operation required to have tlc licence plates you should come to ny to see the number of cars with tlc plates on the streets of manhattan and going up every day

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love how the research is funded by a Taxi company. Surely that must be objective right?
Even though the report funded by taxi companies, it still does have a valid point. Uber should address the issue. But solution I see is not to limit number of cars online, but to improve rider/driver matching algorithm.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I really doubt the logic of this report. True, some are taking Über instead of the TTC; But others are also leaving the car at home too since Über is relatively inexpensive compared to the taxi, which has an even bigger effect.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I really doubt the logic of this report. True, some are taking Über instead of the TTC; But others are also leaving the car at home too since Über is relatively inexpensive compared to the taxi, which has an even bigger effect.
Absolutely true...

However, compare the two alternatives.

#1. UberX ceases to exist. Would-be UberX driver leaves car at home, gets another job, or does something else. Would be passenger gets in their car, drives to destination.
#2. UberX does exist. UberX driver is out and about waiting for a fare, eventually gets one and takes passenger to their destination, passenger leaves their car at home.

At the end of the day, the net effect of permitting Uber is likely the following:
1. Increased emissions / vehicles on the road, as the time driving around waiting for and/or getting to a fare would not exist if people were driving their own car.
2. Decreased emissions / vehicles on the road roaming for a parking spot near their destination.
3. Decreased demand for parking spots.

So, the question is, what has a bigger effect? people looking for parking? or an unlimited number of UberX vehicles desperately searching for fares?

It's basically the Taxi companies' way of saying "we're expensive, because it's good for the environment". yeah right.
Objectively, that's true to a certain degree. Taxis/UberXs are likely tied with personal vehicles as the least efficient method of traveling from point A to point B from a traffic / emissions perspective.

Increasing the cost of doing that, can incentivize people towards other forms of transportation, just like decreasing the cost of doing that, can incentivize people away from other forms of transportation.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
#2. UberX does exist. UberX driver is out and about waiting for a fare, eventually gets one and takes passenger to their destination, passenger leaves their car at home.
Bare in mind that I don't just ferry one pax and go home right afterward. Depending on time of day we usually do 2 to 4 pax an hour. So thats several cars left at home for 1 Über car prowling the streets per shift.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bare in mind that I don't just ferry one pax and go home right afterward. Depending on time of day we usually do 2 to 4 pax an hour. So thats several cars left at home for 1 Über car prowling the streets per shift.
Obviously... if we assumed that you went back to point A after dropping off the passenger at point B, then that's a massive traffic / emissions increase that would go well beyond the effect of finding parking.

However, for each UberX trip which occurs where the alternative would be somebody driving their own car, the net effect on traffic during the trip is 0 (one car, moving from point A to point B), the net effect on emissions is probably negligible (somebody in the business of driving probably has a more fuel efficient car than the average joe, to offset the effect of the driver's weight who is being transported somewhere he does not need to go)...

The only differences come in the time waiting for fares / getting to the next fare; versus the effect of looking for parking. Of course, who possesses the advantage between Uber/Taxis versus Private Vehicle in this regard, is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things... considering how cheaper taxis can incentivize people away from trips using the TTC.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Obviously... if we assumed that you went back to point A after dropping off the passenger at point B, then that's a massive traffic / emissions increase that would go well beyond the effect of finding parking.
I usually get pinged for my next pax right after dropping the last one. We don't drive around looking for pax like the cabbies do. That doesn't work for us.

By the way: Don't you cabbies have your own forum to ***** on? Unless you drive Über Taxi, what are you doing here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way: Don't you cabbies have your own forum to ***** on? Unless you drive Über Taxi, what are you doing here?
C'mon, people. Let's be civilized. Everyone's opinion is welcome here. After all, cab drivers are potential, and some are already active UberX drivers. I hate when people are saying "Go away from OUR forum".

·
Registered
601 Posts
I usually get pinged for my next pax right after dropping the last one. We don't drive around looking for pax like the cabbies do. That doesn't work for us.

Sure, but let's not confuse usually with always. A fare which ends in a busy spot is likely to yield another fare quickly (assuming supply isn't too high)... a fare which takes a driver out of prime areas is likely to contribute highly to incremental driving.

As for the cabbie comment, i'm not a cabbie, merely a resident of toronto who drives... and this forum is a great place to get info on things which affect me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts