Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this idea expressed several times on this forum, but does anybody have any real evidence that it's more than an "Urban Legend"? There are many theories why Uber does this. One variation goes
... For every new driver that logs in, Uber has invested money in a background check, plus several hundred in bonus and referral fees (if the new driver completes 20 rides). They're going to make that money back and it comes right out the pockets of established drivers.
I do believe that new drivers get more bonus/guarantees, but I'm more skeptical about more pings. What do you think?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, I can tell you from personal experience, once I signed up I was getting so many pings and I was making a lot of money without any effort or strategy, I was even getting pings from my home once I turn on the app. Few days later, all that sharply decreased. Same thing happened with my brother. And same thing happened with Lyft as well. I think they want to lure new drivers in so that they don't stop driving

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
It sucks. It's unfair. It's fact. New drivers definitely get ping preference. I've witnessed it several times. I do mostly airport business. There is a "FIFO" staging area to await arrivals. I'll be number 1 in the queue and boom a car I've never seen and driver I don't recognize will leave for an airport pick up before me.

This is a fact and it makes perfect sense for Uber to do this. It's how they hook new drivers. I've been driving for 6 months, they know they have me. I've also been around to hear complaints from noobs, "ah gee I made so much my first month now I make less!" Welcome to veteran status noobie!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It sucks. It's unfair. It's fact. New drivers definitely get ping preference. I've witnessed it several times. I do mostly airport business. There is a "FIFO" staging area to await arrivals. I'll be number 1 in the queue and boom a car I've never seen and driver I don't recognize will leave for an airport pick up before me.

This is a fact and it makes perfect sense for Uber to do this. It's how they hook new drivers. I've been driving for 6 months, they know they have me. I've also been around to hear complaints from noobs, "ah gee I made so much my first month now I make less!" Welcome to veteran status noobie!
My brother had the exact thing happen to him, he told me he was parking in the airport queue and had 10 cars in front of him, he got the ping as he was entering the parking lot! At first he thought there was so much demand and was excited about it, then he realized it was just a trick for new drivers

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
To be honest I've seen no evidence of it. What I am more suspicious of is income leveling where you have a certain average and if you go over it they tend to give you less pings or less lucrative fares.
i was thinking the same. there was this one week where i started off the bang. with the weekend still ahead i thought it was going to be my best week. the weekend came and it was a bust! ended the week right around my weekly avg.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i was thinking the same. there was this one week where i started off the bang. with the weekend still ahead i thought it was going to be my best week. the weekend came and it was a bust! ended the week right around my weekly avg.
I also notice this occasionally but i think it is more likely that uber tries to spread the fares around equally. In my area all drivers I know which is 15 avg 10hr. I have had weeks where I made 200 in 10 hrs then by end of week it's around 400 in 40 lmao. Happens to others in the area as well and has happened to me many of times

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
I wouldn't say more pings as I can still go to the right time and place and get one ping after another.

But as far as longer distance rides during higher surge periods, it seems that those kind of rides have really fallen off for me in the last few months.

I used to be able to get two or three 15 to 25 mile rides on any busy Friday or Saturday night from downtown Sacramento. Now I don't even know how many weeks it's been since I even had one ride like that ?
Again though on a busy Friday or Saturday night I can get 12 or 15 pings without ever waiting longer than 30 seconds, it's just that they average about two miles each :(

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts

It also saves them money. Uber has a promotion for new drivers where they guarantee that if they do x amount of rides in a week they will guarantee that they will make y amount of money. If they are not money, through the rides that they get it, then Uber doesn't have to pay them so much out of its pocket. If they let the older drivers, who are no longer eligible for that promotion, get the rides then they will have to pay us are going rates and pay out the promotion guarantee to the new drivers that didn't get the rides.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wouldn't say more pings as I can still go to the right time and place and get one ping after another.

But as far as longer distance rides during higher surge periods, it seems that those kind of rides have really fallen off for me in the last few months.

I used to be able to get two or three 15 to 25 mile rides on any busy Friday or Saturday night from downtown Sacramento. Now I don't even know how many weeks it's been since I even had one ride like that ?
Again though on a busy Friday or Saturday night I can get 12 or 15 pings without ever waiting longer than 30 seconds, it's just that they average about two miles each :(
I SECOND this, when i first signed up most of my pings were moderately long, it was worth it. after my first week i started getting all min fare trips, it is crazy. about %85 of my rides are min fare. regardless of where i drive. i only drive on weekends but it has been really bad for me lately

·
Registered
455 Posts
On my first or second day driving I pulled into the airport lot with at least 12 cars already waiting in the FIFO system. Within a minute or two of parking, I got a ping and went on my way. There's no way those others all had their apps off. There's no incentive to do so because our airport can't surge.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Lots of reasons for that: different platform (Lyft), different service XL or Select etc...

Or depending on your city queue jumpers.

Just because another driver leaves the queue before you doesn't mean anything.

It's simple, really, request a ride.

If you don't get the ping, queue jumpers are around. (Most common on Select and Black)

On Lyft I have received a ping while on number 20+ several times due to my rating and the PAX being a new rider.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
No not for me but for some reason when I'm 1-2 rides away from a bonus it always gets slow. It's as if they know I'm gonna stay out and so they help out others.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Lots of reasons for that: different platform (Lyft), different service XL or Select etc...

Or depending on your city queue jumpers.

Just because another driver leaves the queue before you doesn't mean anything.

It's simple, really, request a ride.

If you don't get the ping, queue jumpers are around. (Most common on Select and Black)

On Lyft I have received a ping while on number 20+ several times due to my rating and the PAX being a new rider.
Wrong my friend. My market has just 2 services, X or XL. It's very easy to discern between the 2. New drivers do get preference. Just another means Uber uses to shaft existing drivers.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let's assume, based on this thread, that "New drivers" do in fact get more pings. What do you think is Uber's definition of "New"? Hours online, days, weeks, more? It appears to be just enough to get a new PAX "hooked" on the idea of all the easy money coming their way. Thereafter, they become "old" drivers and treated like the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts
Let's assume, based on this thread, that "New drivers" do in fact get more pings. What do you think is Uber's definition of "New"? Hours online, days, weeks, more? It appears to be just enough to get a new PAX "hooked" on the idea of all the easy money coming their way. Thereafter, they become "old" drivers and treated like the rest of us.
I think it's as long as the new driver incentive lasts.

It guarantees the driver will make a certain amount if they drive a certain number of hours. The more that the driver is able to earn in actual rides during those hours, the less that Uber has to shell out of their own pockets.

It's a business issue, not anything personal.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
I don't think Uber cares about the psychological aspect of it all. All they care about is getting their money back. They've spent a certain number of dollars on a background check and promotion, once they recoup that the new driver is thrown to the wolves.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The new driver incentives & bonuses theory makes the most sense. Different class queue jumpers not so much.

It's also the most innovative way any company has had to induce employee turnover & keep control over their business than any other has come up with.

Usually companies would just decrease hours until the employee quits on their own therefore not having to pay out anything in higher employment tax premiums in the future.

Uber & Lyft have 2 financial incentives in not having to subsidize new drivers bonuses for nothing, and giving out more rides where their take is 25-30% than only 20%. New drivers are also much, much more likely to take Pool & Line requests & accept any kind of request they get whether they be near or far, from low-rated riders, or anything else veterans would turn away from.

They gain nothing from keeping it an exclusive club for veteran drivers who make the most money from the platform.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts