Uber Drivers Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started driving about a week ago and was wondering what I should be doing between rides when not getting new rides every minute or two? I've tried moving around a little, tried going back to the area where i got my last ride (when not too far away), parking less than a half mile or so from where i dropped off my last rider.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Oh no, you opened a can of worms asking that question ! Get ready! Ha ha.

Seriously, though, Uber put out a very interesting article on strategies...they modeled it many different ways and as long as you have a strategy as opposed to random driving, you will do about as well as anyone else! I'll look for it and post it here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I listen to the radio. I drive at night so I've got Art Bell from 10p to 1a, then I pick up the last hour of Coast to Coast AM and the repeat at 2a. You could read. Maybe learn a new skill. Knitting or crochet might be a good use of time, winter is coming. Figure out how to become a better human being. Solitaire. Find places to pee.

After 10 minutes of not getting a ping I consider moving to another area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just started last week but if im waiting too long i look around on my rider app to see if there are a lot of driver around me. If there are (like often is the case) then i move if not i look at other areas and if one close is in the yellow or orange stage i move towards it cause even if it does not surge at least you know its busy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I listen to the radio. I drive at night so I've got Art Bell from 10p to 1a, then I pick up the last hour of Coast to Coast AM and the repeat at 2a. You could read. Maybe learn a new skill. Knitting or crochet might be a good use of time, winter is coming. Figure out how to become a better human being. Solitaire. Find places to pee.

After 10 minutes of not getting a ping I consider moving to another area.
I sometimes have an old phone or tablet with me to play games on while I wait and then stash it in the center console once I finally get a ping. I was mostly just wondering is it best to move around (if so how often?) or just stay put and save gas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just started last week but if im waiting too long i look around on my rider app to see if there are a lot of driver around me. If there are (like often is the case) then i move if not i look at other areas and if one close is in the yellow or orange stage i move towards it cause even if it does not surge at least you know its busy.
I've had horrible luck moving towards yellow/orange/surge areas. they always seem to go white when i get in the area.

·
Registered
15,927 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just started driving about a week ago and was wondering what I should be doing between rides when not getting new rides every minute or two? I've tried moving around a little, tried going back to the area where i got my last ride (when not too far away), parking less than a half mile or so from where i dropped off my last rider.
Surf the net for a real job that pays more than it costs you to do it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That's really interesting except when you add surging and guarantees into it everything changes.

Also from personal experience the closest driver is not always the one who gets the call and I think a lot of that is the "lag". This simulation assumes everything is in real time and works perfectly.
Bottom line is to have a strategy. Those who have a strategy do better than those who are random. Over time, the two basic strategies yield approximately the same results (busy area and lots of little trips, versus return to base and take fewer longer trips). The tip for those busy area dwellers to stay put if they get called far out of the area, is also helpful. One's personal experience is not going to alter the significance of the results over time. Perceptions will lie to you, because you are only able to consider your own behavior. You cannot see what you just missed by being inconsistent. The computer can. So we should all understand and learn from the data how to conduct our driving for optimum results!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.