Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone could help me by answering the following questions.

1. I am going to be ubering 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. I will be using waze as my sat nav. Please tell me how much data allowance i will need per month?

2. I am extremely flexible with time at the moment. What 12 hour shift would you recommend to make most money? From what time to what time?

3. How do i deal with tax? is it something i can learn myself or do i have to hire an accountant? how much will he charge? do i have to keep receipt of everything like petrol, insurance, phone cost and data, cost of car?

4. I am really worried about getting fines when dropping passengers of in central London. Does anyone know the rules? can i drop off/pick up on double yellow, zigzag, or bus lane (when open)

5. Are most uber passenger in central london the young type? or do you get mature passengers too? seems most of the older business people get black cabs?

6. Do you do uberpool or not?

Really sorry about the long list, any advice would be so appreciated!

·
Banned
3,748 Posts
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone could help me by answering the following questions.

1. I am going to be ubering 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. I will be using waze as my sat nav. Please tell me how much data allowance i will need per month?

2. I am extremely flexible with time at the moment. What 12 hour shift would you recommend to make most money? From what time to what time?

3. How do i deal with tax? is it something i can learn myself or do i have to hire an accountant? how much will he charge? do i have to keep receipt of everything like petrol, insurance, phone cost and data, cost of car?

4. I am really worried about getting fines when dropping passengers of in central London. Does anyone know the rules? can i drop off/pick up on double yellow, zigzag, or bus lane (when open)

5. Are most uber passenger in central london the young type? or do you get mature passengers too? seems most of the older business people get black cabs?

Just ask K.I.T.T Michael.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi there I'll try to helpwith your questions! First one of when to work everyone will give different answers but to be honest as long as you choose one part of the rush hour or both you should be ok. Any time of the day will be busy in terms of amount of cars out it just comes down to luck however be aware uber is appearing to be capping on earnings I believe from other posts it's up to £120 mon to thurs and £150 fri to Sunday they will slow your jobs down or length of jobs before you reach this to put you off staying longer. I would say around 4gb is sufficient. In terms of drop offs pick ups bus stops are a no no by the solid line this will result in a ticket the same with zig zags but also 3 points on dl . Red lines we are allowed to drop off pick up as long as it is straight away you can't stop and wait go to a side street to wait bus lanes I've read we can enter to drop off but must exit straight away after pick up drop off. Passengers are a mixed batch really young old working not working I've picked up a few seniors who are tech savy but not many lol hope this helps take care

·
Registered
843 Posts
1. You will need unlimited data plan as both Uber and waze are constantly using data GiffGaff and Three do unlimited data on paygo for 20 a month.

2 Split shifts are best early morning evening during rush hour periods.

3. Yes you need to keep receipts for every thing car/repairs tyres etc that's if you own car or rental costs fuel accountant you will need for at least first year.

4. You can never drop of zigzags that's 3 points as well as fine you can pick up and drop off on yellow lines don't mean you won't get a fine .You can't enter box junctions either without turning right or bus LANs both will give you a fine as a mew driver you pick up up a few hundred in fines at first.

5. All Uber x customers are cheap skates you won't get and business customers as they use Addison Lee or Black cans .

6 Uber pool is for fools and they take over 35%

7. If you haven't been warned before Uber is dead you will earn below minimum wage plus the risks of fines in London most people drive now for few months and realise how bad it is.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful! i will be sure then not to ever go on the zigs and will decline uberpool all the time! I have been hearing alot of negative view on driving for uber from drivers but the ones i talk to when i catch a ride are loving it! I will give it a go for a few month without puting my hopes up i guess!

I see both of you have a difference in opinion in regards to data which is something i am trying to get sorted as we speak! If more drivers could please share their data usage per month in regards to hours worked? Many thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
For the device I use and I use uber and waze I did get a 20gb data allowance thinking I'd need it but only use couple of gigs a month

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful! i will be sure then not to ever go on the zigs and will decline uberpool all the time! I have been hearing alot of negative view on driving for uber from drivers but the ones i talk to when i catch a ride are loving it! I will give it a go for a few month without puting my hopes up i guess!

I see both of you have a difference in opinion in regards to data which is something i am trying to get sorted as we speak! If more drivers could please share their data usage per month in regards to hours worked? Many thanks
Drivers are forced to say positive things. If you don't get your 5 stars from passengers you are on big trouble. The GMB did a 3rd party study on pay which come out as £5.82 per hour when working a 60 hour week. You've obviously got to tax that too.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts

Some of those questions should be in the information you have got from TFL.

Or are available from TFL

Instead of worrying what a single PH Operator does or says talk to the people that have actually given you a PH Licence as they are he only people you should listen to.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts

You really didn't know you can't stop in ZigZags?

Are you using your own driving licence?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey.... I'm new too, this week is my 3rd week so below is what I think (might be different from other people's opinions)

1. You won't use over 10gb a month unless you listen to music and use it for private use Aswell as uber-

2. If your really flexible then I suggest 6.30am---9.30am-ish to be around Hammersmith / kennsington area as normally there is a surge.... I managed to bag a 1.9 surge to stansted not too long ago

3. How to deal with tax?.... You can do the tax your self or get a accountant... I have a accountant already due to family business.... You need to keep everything organised.... Petrol, parking tickets (airport ect) anything you do that involves you spending while working keep the proof safe

4. Most of the time customers know the drop off point and will tell you to pull up somewhere safe... C.london is full of little roads... If your not sure or if it's double red ect... Just pull up next possible road and drop off there... Communicate with the customer at all times

5. I've done 150 trips... I've only had 5customers under 25... Normally they are 25+... Most of them friendly and nice

6. Just like me your new... Try and keep your acceptance rate high... Don't let these guys tell you not to accept ect....
If your not going to not accept a request to then don't accept customers under 4.2* rating.... I accepted 2 biggest regret ever !!! They get rated for a reason...!!

sometimes wayz can be a little slow it might lead you into a 1 way street just pay attention when the app is having a mind of its own!!!
Don't speed!!!

If you wanna know my earnings....
Week 1: £780. 54 hours
Week 2: 680. 50 hours
Current week 550. 40 hours
(I don't work late during late night surges that's just because I can't be bothered to deal with drunk people )

:)

Let me know if you have any additional questions

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks to everyone for their input, really kind of you all to take time to help with my questions! much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Hey.... I'm new too, this week is my 3rd week so below is what I think (might be different from other people's opinions)

(I don't work late during late night surges that's just because I can't be bothered to deal with drunk people )

Young man, we can see that u r new to this.

What u quoted r not ur earnings!!!!!

These r ur takings!!!!!

Out of this amount in week 1, 2,....and every week to come take away ur:
-£100/150/200 weekly car rent or calculate weekly loan rate or calculate what amount you have to put a side to buy new car after 3-5 yrs
-£60-80pw petrol/diesel
-£40-50pw insurance
-£20-30pw car depriciation
-£20-40pw car maintenance (tyres, brakes,...)
-£10 on daily expences
-£XYZ tax....all ur income has paper trail and is taxable!!!!!!
-£5 mobile data

-and suprise car cost when break down
-and PCN's
-and .........whatever you can think of.

So far there is around £350 of money that you do not see coming out of ur bank account!!!!

And you young man, one advice.

In this trade there r no set rules that u can follow.

1. Get unltd as someone suggested.
2. Time is ur enemy. This was always long hrs trade. Your day will last 14-16 hrs if u decide to 'work' 12 hrs.
3. Yes to all u said
4. Hghway code and TfL rules
5. No rules.
6. Up to you.

·
Banned
3,071 Posts

1. You won't use over 10gb a month unless you listen to music and use it for private use Aswell as uber-

2. If your really flexible then I suggest 6.30am---9.30am-ish to be around Hammersmith / kennsington area as normally there is a surge.... I managed to bag a 1.9 surge to stansted not too long ago

3. How to deal with tax?.... You can do the tax your self or get a accountant... I have a accountant already due to family business.... You need to keep everything organised.... Petrol, parking tickets (airport ect) anything you do that involves you spending while working keep the proof safe

4. Most of the time customers know the drop off point and will tell you to pull up somewhere safe... C.london is full of little roads... If your not sure or if it's double red ect... Just pull up next possible road and drop off there... Communicate with the customer at all times

5. I've done 150 trips... I've only had 5customers under 25... Normally they are 25+... Most of them friendly and nice

6. Just like me your new... Try and keep your acceptance rate high... Don't let these guys tell you not to accept ect....
If your not going to not accept a request to then don't accept customers under 4.2* rating.... I accepted 2 biggest regret ever !!! They get rated for a reason...!!

sometimes wayz can be a little slow it might lead you into a 1 way street just pay attention when the app is having a mind of its own!!!
Don't speed!!!

Question 4 " Drop off nearest road"would you drop off a disabled pax too "nearest road"

·
Premium Member
108 Posts

Regarding data, i have 6gb 4G from iD mobile for £12 and hardly use all of it as its a separate phone for work only (5 days a week, 10hours per day)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, so i am trying to go online but i get a message saying 'your vehicle is not allowed to operate in london'

I have emailed ubersupport but no luck. They reply took ages and said to restart my phone which i did and still no luck. Currently waiting on another reply but i know it will take ages.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? i have been told by uber all my docuemnts are fine and i am ready to go online.

Looking on my dashboard, i have a '1' marker on the 'invoice steetings'. I have not done anything on this page. Do i have to fill this page out?

Please assist, i am just sitting in my car doing nothing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts