Uber Drivers Forum banner

New Driver (Northern Va)

10K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  roadman 
#1 ·
Just created both Uber and lyft profiles, and did some research on what people had to say about making some decent money. So far what Ive gathered is,

1. Early Mornings and Late Evenings/nights are the prime times

2.Weekends are always decent

3. Avoid chasing surges and Uber pools

4. If you dont like city driving then there is potential in Annadale, Arlington, Springfield/Woodbride/Dale City.

5. Use Rider app to help avoid saturated areas

Now what I have questions for are the following,
A. Is the Fairfax/Reston/Chantilly/Leesburg Area profitable?

B. Whats parts of Maryland are prime locations?

C. Is it a good idea to plan around big events?

D. How much can the avg driver make these days around this area driving 20-25 hours a week?

See less See more
#4 ·
A. Haven't noticed anything special about those areas. Equally saturated.

B. From what I see in the mornings, Silver Spring provides somewhat steady surge between 8 and 9 am.

C. Not necessarily. Getting around can be a hustle.

D. I would say there is potential to make $400-600 but only if you use boost hours for your advantage.

#6 ·
Just created both Uber and lyft profiles, and did some research on what people had to say about making some decent money. So far what Ive gathered is,

4. If you dont like city driving then there is potential in Annadale, Arlington, Springfield/Woodbride/Dale City.

D. How much can the avg driver make these days around this area driving 20-25 hours a week?
Expect 12 hour days to make any money. And you better have a 2nd car to fall back on when the car you are using for Uber/Lyft breaks down.....and it will break down. Once that happens, your $10 an hour pay will evaporate due to parts and labour. Rideshare is a losing business for drivers. Good luck.

#7 ·
To be fair...the 10 bucks an hour net factors in any standard repair. If your car never needs parts or service you will net more. What will blow away your 10 bucks an hour are accidents, tickets, or someone puking in your car. Really driving uber for non-surge (which is all you can do in Loudoun) is good for 10 bucks an hour if you are lucky. You will generate cash flow though. If that is what you are after - willing to pawn off your car every mile you drive - it can help pay the bills in the short term.

#8 ·

Just a few musts being an Uber Driver...

1. Provide Water/Snacks...Paxs are paying you their hard earned money. It's the least you can do.

2. Offer them Music to listen to...Let them use your AUX cord.

3. Open the Door for them upon arrival...Better chance of getting you a 5-star rating.

4. Don't worry about Boost/Surge...Regular rate will be enough for you to live comfortably.

#11 ·
1. I used to do that I dont anymore and it hasnt effected my rating. And its not the LEAST I can do...
2. If my radio is on its on Conservative talk LOUD
3. They got arms and legs let them open their own door.
4. Your kidding.....

I never use Rider app......once you are inside the beltway the pings will keep coming. Especially in Arlington, Annandale, Springfield, Alexandria and Tysons. Go into DC and the only way out is turn off your app. I drive 10 hours and make 200 a day.... go to youtube and check out Terry Tips, Lyft Zone, Uber DC, and Jermaine Ellis....

#16 ·
Net.....I am going to get my taxes done at the Prince of Darkness in Woodbridge and we will write off every expense including stuff I throw in lol. Sure there are days where I work and shut it down at 150 because I just dropped off college girls who are on a drinking expedition lol

#15 ·
Also Uber will sign you up for TNC and then your insurance company may find out and drop you. It has happened to many people in VA. If you are an Uber driver you are basically a total loser. Immigrants, criminals and uneducated people. I am one of the three....how many are you?

#18 ·
I dont break it down like your asking. I can drive on 20 dollars of gas filled up at 1.99 at Spotsylvania Citgo. I probably put 200 miles a day or more. At the end of the day I look at my totals subtract the gas, I dont include insurance because its a 2nd car. I have a 2014 Camry so maitenance is normally 40 bucks every 2 to 3 months. I dont do the free service because the dealerships put you in the back of the line and you end up wasting a day. So on Wednesdays my DD is usally 1300=1500 I may have a few LYFT rides too. But am too busy with Uber. Anyone that says its not busy in DC just isnt putting the time in.....

#21 ·
Also Uber will sign you up for TNC and then your insurance company may find out and drop you. It has happened to many people in VA. If you are an Uber driver you are basically a total loser. Immigrants, criminals and uneducated people. I am one of the three....how many are you?
What is TNC and how can I prevent it? Right now I have liberty mutual.

#22 ·
I dont break it down like your asking. I can drive on 20 dollars of gas filled up at 1.99 at Spotsylvania Citgo. I probably put 200 miles a day or more. At the end of the day I look at my totals subtract the gas, I dont include insurance because its a 2nd car. I have a 2014 Camry so maitenance is normally 40 bucks every 2 to 3 months. I dont do the free service because the dealerships put you in the back of the line and you end up wasting a day. So on Wednesdays my DD is usally 1300=1500 I may have a few LYFT rides too. But am too busy with Uber. Anyone that says its not busy in DC just isnt putting the time in.....
So true I'm busy everytime I go outmonday alone I did 30 trips

#26 ·
I never use Rider app......once you are inside the beltway the pings will keep coming. Especially in Arlington, Annandale, Springfield, Alexandria and Tysons. Go into DC and the only way out is turn off your app. I drive 10 hours and make 200 a day.... go to youtube and check out Terry Tips, Lyft Zone, Uber DC, and Jermaine Ellis....
All great areas. I am from the other side of D.C. so I end up in Potomac, Bethesda, Silver Spring, and College Park. Do you do a lot of D.C. pickups? I tend to get back out of the city before turning the app back on. There are way to many short trips but I feel that I may be missing out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.