Uber Drivers Forum banner

New Driver Launching from Irvine - Advice?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Scenicruiser 
#1 ·
I have only driven two days so far (Mon & Thurs of this week). I am wondering what advice you guys have for me.

So far I have started each day by driving slowly toward an ultimate destination. Each time I got a signal before reaching my destination and my driving day had begun. What I mean be that is, I was going to drive over to the airport and sit nearby to wait for a signal. Before I could get there I received a rider signal. What suggestions do you have for starting my day? What time of day is best? Morning? Afternoon? Evening?

I have completed 21 rides in two days but only hit surge pricing 3 times. Is there any way to improve those surge pricing odds? Or is it just random?

Also, I have come to the conclusion that I should not "chase" surge pricing. Often times by the time I get there it's gone. That being said, I may drive to an area known for surging and wait there.

Finally, anyone know why San Juan Capistrano seems to almost always be surging?

#2 ·
You're going to get plenty advice regarding driving JasonKGreen My only advice is make another profile that doesn't have your real name and picture. Reason being is because when you become bitter and annoyed by Uber, you won't want to be identified when you start talking smack and you will start talking smack at some point.
Good luck to you!

p.s. that signal is referred to as a ping and a passenger is referred to as a PAX

#3 ·
San Clemente has the most frequent surge in OC. Not sure why, and times aren't always consistent, but I see more surge there than any other zone. Just take as many rides as you possibly can, and that will increase your odds at catching the big trips that need to go 20+ miles that usually net you $20+. Other than that just keep nickel and diming your way and keep grinding brother.

And if you're going to be driving long shifts, put a pillow under your ass. Not kidding. It helps.

#5 ·
San Clemente has the most frequent surge in OC. Not sure why, and times aren't always consistent, but I see more surge there than any other zone. Just take as many rides as you possibly can, and that will increase your odds at catching the big trips that need to go 20+ miles that usually net you $20+. Other than that just keep nickel and diming your way and keep grinding brother.

And if you're going to be driving long shifts, put a pillow under your ass. Not kidding. It helps.
I have had a ride to San Clemente twice since signing up in November. There isn't a ton of action but just not enough drivers. It is the most south city in OC so that will happen but I have been there in a 2.5 surge and nothing as I saw drivers pouring into Capo Beach area.
OP, cancel this account and start one without your name and never use vital info! You will grow to dislike Uber and in a few weeks you will start talking shit about them. This is when you do not want Uber to know your real name and then they make up some lame reason to can you. See my avatar? That is me and my big cat. It sure is! You? Too much info. Get an avatar from the internets and make up a moniker.

#7 ·
Start from home turn the app on and be ready to hop in the car and go give it at least 10-15 mins
Chances are your ride will take you to whatever place you had in mind
As for the surge you can read a little about skipping but don't do it for your first 100 rides or so
Be confident, don't drive like you do when you're alone
See if you like it
Good luck

#8 ·
There are very few drivers in San Clemente. I drive there for that reason. Sometimes I'm the only one and I live in Lake Forest. I myself feel that Irvine is more a Lyft riding area. NEVER CHASE THE SURGE. It's an evil thing. 4am around Newport and John Wayne area is pretty good.

#9 ·
I have only driven two days so far (Mon & Thurs of this week). I am wondering what advice you guys have for me.

So far I have started each day by driving slowly toward an ultimate destination. Each time I got a signal before reaching my destination and my driving day had begun. What I mean be that is, I was going to drive over to the airport and sit nearby to wait for a signal. Before I could get there I received a rider signal. What suggestions do you have for starting my day? What time of day is best? Morning? Afternoon? Evening?

I have completed 21 rides in two days but only hit surge pricing 3 times. Is there any way to improve those surge pricing odds? Or is it just random?

Also, I have come to the conclusion that I should not "chase" surge pricing. Often times by the time I get there it's gone. That being said, I may drive to an area known for surging and wait there.

Finally, anyone know why San Juan Capistrano seems to almost always be surging?
Welcome Aboard! You have a fine Daddyo in UberDude2 - listen to his advice.

Me, I'm the comic relief most of the time. With that in mind, my advice is get the lovely lady in your photo to drive, she'll get much more in tips!!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.