Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a week old driver in Orange County, driving an 04 Accord ... v6 :(. I thought I'd share my numbers for the week.

Trips - 107
Fares (after uber-rape) - $630
Miles driven - 1077
Gas - $161
Fares (after uber and gas) - $470
Hours worked - 55
Hourly (before maintenance/depreciation) - $8.5 - fml
Rating -4.84
1 Star ratings received - At least one
Threating texts from uber about cancellations - 1
Belligerent voicemails from pax after receiving a (fair and legitimate) $5 no show fee - 1
Times pulled over -1 (a 'safe', illegal turn on red, no ticket received)

I drive mostly 6pm - 3 am. I rarely ACRO. I do know from these forums how not to ruin a surge, despite that, I have earned very little in surge fares. The biggest problem I have is lack of knowledge of hotspots. I rarely get pinged in surge areas because I'm not close enough to the real action. Any general advice (besides 'RUN') would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of questions. If I've been at the pin for 5 plus minutes , does 'cancel/rider entered wrong address' charge the pax the $5 cancellation fee? Basically, If a pax enters the wrong pin and then is unable to coherently explain where they are or give you an address and you use 'cancel/wrong address' then do you receive the cancellation fee? I know some here would suggest: go to pin, wait 5 mins, do nothing else, cancel/no show... but I know how wonky the pin drops are and I like to give the pax a reasonable chance. But at some point if the pax is literally unable to tell you where they are, then I'd like to get paid for my effort.

Also for tax purposes, I've been keeping track of all my miles used 'in pursuit of a fare'- driving with pax, driving to pax, driving to a hotspot/better spot (app on or off). I don't include the drive home/app off miles. Can anyone who has, in the past, filed with mileage deductions confirm that this acceptable?

·
Registered
632 Posts
So you're on pace to do 45k miles a year... in an 11 year old car, which I assume already has well over 100k miles. You're basically getting a cash advance on the equity of your car. At least until your engine or transmission blows.

Only advice I can give you is... don't feel bad about rider error with pin drops. Get in the habit of setting a stop watch for 5 minutes 10 seconds. As soon as time is up, move on. Most passengers will be pissed at you for making them wait while you look for them. Should help reduce amount of miles you're doing and low ratings.

·
Premium Member
23,278 Posts
Hi, I'm a week old driver in Orange County, driving an 04 Accord ... v6 :(. I thought I'd share my numbers for the week.

Trips - 107
Fares (after uber-rape) - $630
Miles driven - 1077
Gas - $161
Fares (after uber and gas) - $470
Hours worked - 55
Hourly (before maintenance/depreciation) - $8.5 - fml
Rating -4.84
1 Star ratings received - At least one
Threating texts from uber about cancellations - 1
Belligerent voicemails from pax after receiving a (fair and legitimate) $5 no show fee - 1
Times pulled over -1 (a 'safe', illegal turn on red, no ticket received)

I drive mostly 6pm - 3 am. I rarely ACRO. I do know from these forums how not to ruin a surge, despite that, I have earned very little in surge fares. The biggest problem I have is lack of knowledge of hotspots. I rarely get pinged in surge areas because I'm not close enough to the real action. Any general advice (besides 'RUN') would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of questions. If I've been at the pin for 5 plus minutes , does 'cancel/rider entered wrong address' charge the pax the $5 cancellation fee? Basically, If a pax enters the wrong pin and then is unable to coherently explain where they are or give you an address and you use 'cancel/wrong address' then do you receive the cancellation fee? I know some here would suggest: go to pin, wait 5 mins, do nothing else, cancel/no show... but I know how wonky the pin drops are and I like to give the pax a reasonable chance. But at some point if the pax is literally unable to tell you where they are, then I'd like to get paid for my effort.

Also for tax purposes, I've been keeping track of all my miles used 'in pursuit of a fare'- driving with pax, driving to pax, driving to a hotspot/better spot (app on or off). I don't include the drive home/app off miles. Can anyone who has, in the past, filed with mileage deductions confirm that this acceptable?
I am an L.A. Uber Driver that sometimes gets some OC trips. In those times, where I just stay there for a while to see what I get, LYFT always fares better than Uber. If you have not already, sign up for LYFT and run both at same time while waiting for a Ping. Good Luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Look at all your rides between 6 pm - 9 pm and then compare with the 10-2 night shift. I might be way off here but I think that part of your shift is during a dead time, or less busy in other words. The $8.50 blows, but once you figure out some spots that seem to offer longer rides, and you learn to get more surge, you should increase to $15+.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Don't listen to glados the goober above me. You do what is best to make more profit because right now, you are under minimum wage. Shill above me knows this about rider pay but doesn't care. You need to cut down on the miles driven! Luckily, your car is old but probably not good on gas miles. Start being more choosy on who you pick up. Do not go 3 miles and 9 minutes to pick someone up unless you want to call them and cherry pick the ride to make sure Thule are going a decent distance. Always have rider cancel for you and as long as you haven't moved and/or less than 5 minutes, they won't be charged. Look at rider app to move pin around to see if area is surging. I like to have driver app on when it is orange and then ACRO. I don't care if it makes it surge or not but I not taking a non surge ride when it is ready to surge in hopefully moments.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips y'all. With your help I improved my hourly this weekend: 14/hr (after uber rape and gas) on Friday night and 19/hr on Saturday. My first weekend I was at 10/hour both nights. I'm starting to find the places where I can get consistent pings, though I'm sure it's gonna take me quite awhile to narrow down those places into staging areas for long rides. I'm also definitely looking for ways to improve my dollars/mile ratio. I did reasonably well Saturday night ($150 after uber/gas in 206 miles) but I think I was mostly just lucky in that respect.

Uberlala, do you by chance know what year the car needs to be in order to drive for Lyft in California? I was under the impression that my car is too old. The Lyft website is about as informative as uber-crap is.

ocbob2 (or anyone who drives in OC), how do you deal with pickups at the Honda center? I had to cancel my first pickup there because I flat out could not find the pax despite talking to her on the phone. I didn't learn my lesson with my second pickup- I didn't text the pax until I was already in the Katella/douglas left turn lane. He texts back "I'm at the restaurant" (pin is at the Honda center, pax is at JC's), lol it's like they are willfully/purposely ambiguous.

·
Premium Member
23,278 Posts
Thanks for the tips y'all. With your help I improved my hourly this weekend: 14/hr (after uber rape and gas) on Friday night and 19/hr on Saturday. My first weekend I was at 10/hour both nights. I'm starting to find the places where I can get consistent pings, though I'm sure it's gonna take me quite awhile to narrow down those places into staging areas for long rides. I'm also definitely looking for ways to improve my dollars/mile ratio. I did reasonably well Saturday night ($150 after uber/gas in 206 miles) but I think I was mostly just lucky in that respect.

Uberlala, do you by chance know what year the car needs to be in order to drive for Lyft in California? I was under the impression that my car is too old. The Lyft website is about as informative as uber-crap is.

ocbob2 (or anyone who drives in OC), how do you deal with pickups at the Honda center? I had to cancel my first pickup there because I flat out could not find the pax despite talking to her on the phone. I didn't learn my lesson with my second pickup- I didn't text the pax until I was already in the Katella/douglas left turn lane. He texts back "I'm at the restaurant" (pin is at the Honda center, pax is at JC's), lol it's like they are willfully/purposely ambiguous.
IckyDoody, You did good man! Friday night almost doubling your per hour.

I have actually heard/read from some Lyft Drivers that Lyft is not as strict on age of car. So you should be able to use whatever you are driving on Uber for Lyft as well.

As for the 'Where's Waldo' of finding pax on busy streets/corners...I have learned to hold back from the corner or pick up spot on street, about 100 yards - which gives me enough to make it into the left turn lane if they end up on the other corner, or hopefully some approach space if they are before the drop pin spot. The drop pin is only 100 feet +/- accurate - so it really is a 50/50 on being correct as far as corner and/or side of street.

Also, sometimes pax request the Ride at somewhere like Honda Center then walk to a corner or 'restaurant' thinking the app will follow them like navigation does, to make it 'easier' for you. lol

Whenever I am picking up at a place like Honda Center I always call them as I am approaching and have them give me the exact (as close as they can describe) description of where they are.

Ciao!

·
Banned
919 Posts

Your miles to dollars is way too high. If you are not doing at minimum $1 per mile, it isn't worth it. There was a ton of surging on Saturday all night. One of the better nights for non holiday. One concert was cancelled and it still was pretty good.
Honda Center must have the pick up over at 714 Tickets/restaurant area. Pax, must walk over. Why would you want to go I side the parking lot so you can be stuck with the rest of the yahoos. I hope you are cancelling after 5 minutes of waiting and hit NO SHOW so you get paid $5

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your miles to dollars is way too high. If you are not doing at minimum $1 per mile, it isn't worth it. There was a ton of surging on Saturday all night. One of the better nights for non holiday. One concert was cancelled and it still was pretty good.
Honda Center must have the pick up over at 714 Tickets/restaurant area. Pax, must walk over. Why would you want to go I side the parking lot so you can be stuck with the rest of the yahoos. I hope you are cancelling after 5 minutes of waiting and hit NO SHOW so you get paid $5
To be clear, when you say minimum $1/mile, you are talking gross right? True net? Typical uber driver's definition of net (gross - uber - minus gas cost)? I can't even fathom reaching that ratio using true net, at least not in OC. After 17 days my gross is $.92/mile. My net hourly (using $.25/mile driving costs) is $8.30.

On a related note, what's the best way to estimate maintenance costs?

·
Super Moderator
15,312 Posts
To be clear, when you say minimum $1/mile, you are talking gross right? True net? Typical uber driver's definition of net (gross - uber - minus gas cost)? I can't even fathom reaching that ratio using true net, at least not in OC. After 17 days my gross is $.92/mile. My net hourly (using $.25/mile driving costs) is $8.30.

On a related note, what's the best way to estimate maintenance costs?
Read this blog post,

https://uberpeople.net/xfa-blog-entry/how-to-calculate-costs-as-an-uber-driver.23/

It's an excellent post by UberHammer .

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So nearing the end of 1 month, with 471 trips under my belt, my true net (including maintenance and depreciation) is $8.91 per hour. Uber's gorilla math says that I'm making $23 bucks an hour and that top partners are at $24 bucks an hour... ummmmkay

·
Premium Member
23,278 Posts
So nearing the end of 1 month, with 471 trips under my belt, my true net (including maintenance and depreciation) is $8.91 per hour. Uber's gorilla math says that I'm making $23 bucks an hour and that top partners are at $24 bucks an hour... ummmmkay
There you have it...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Learn to ACRO a reasonable amount, as it will increase your hourly. I ACRO every day, do this full time, and have never been temporarily deactivated, or anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts