Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I've been driving for Uber for seven days now. I left my job and am trying this out until I find something else, but honestly, I'm liking this much better than a typical M-F 8am-5pm office job and when I work longer hours driving, I make more money. Much better than putting long hours in at the office being salaried.

I survived my first University of Florida home game Saturday and made some very good money.

I drive a 2005 Honda Accord (Crossfit).

I've been living in Florida 6 years now. I live in beautiful and historic Micanopy, just 15 miles south of Gainesville. Prior to moving here, I was a USAF Officer in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

I was born in NJ, went to college in Nashua, NH.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone and hopefully I'll have something to contribute to the conversations.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome to Ubermania!!!!

I don't think Uber is a bad gig if you're doing it part time. Just beware of all the expenses that come along with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Jennifer! I'm also a new Uber driver and I live in Gainesville area. I know Micanopy well, my aunts live there. Terrible mosquitoes though!
Tonight was my second night driving. I try to do at least 4 hours but my suggestions are this: Don't work past 11 PM. Or you risk having the chances of somebody throw up in your car significantly higher than "normal". This is a college town as you are well aware and tonight on multiple occasions my Kia Soul was packed with girls sitting on each other's laps... i didn't think much of it, i'm a great driver and off i go. However, thinking about it now... should something happen, like if i get pulled over it will be me that gets into trouble and I will also lose all the money i made in paying the ticket. worst case scenario is that i have a crash and these girls go flying in all directions.. i will be sued severely and my life will be shut down with most certainty. I recommend telling them to use UberXL (i think that's what it's called) as those vehicles can handle more passengers. The key here is safety and it's hard to remember than when you are there in the moment. Also, carry a roll of paper towels, trash bags, cleaning supplies that wont damage your upholstery, and GLOVES. Vomit is very nasty and tonight I had my fill. I think i'll be working days rather than nights now but definitely NOT PAST 11 PM. I mean even that is "pushing it". Although i did make $100 tonight in 4 hours. so it's not all bad. Just make sure you know exactly where the "do it yourself carwash" is. There is one on archer just off the 75, next to Wendy's... i feel that's going to be where i go after work every day.

just think safety first, stacking people in the car will get you the trip for sure, but it could utterly destroy you in the long run. and if it can go bad it will. it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I keep a roll of "doggie bags" with me and hand them out if someone is looking green.

So far, I've only had one drunken rider, but no issues. Though, I've not made it out past 11pm.

I agree, if there are more passengers than seat belts, I'm canceling the ride. Too much liability.

I tend to hang out on the east side of Gainesville by the University.

I'ts been pretty steady this Sunday morning. One to church, one to home, one to work, one to a friend's house.

I'm waiting for the after church crowd now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
wow that's a fantastic idea actually. Unfortunately, it's 12:30 and i just woke up! My car smells much better... it smells of shampoo mostly but i can still smell it if i get close to the site. But i think the smell will dissipate soon enough. After consideration I have decided to stay away from Nights altogether and follow "Mamma's Rule" of When the sun starts going down, get your butts home!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I've been driving for Uber for seven days now. I left my job and am trying this out until I find something else, but honestly, I'm liking this much better than a typical M-F 8am-5pm office job and when I work longer hours driving, I make more money. Much better than putting long hours in at the office being salaried.

I survived my first University of Florida home game Saturday and made some very good money.

I drive a 2005 Honda Accord (Crossfit).

I've been living in Florida 6 years now. I live in beautiful and historic Micanopy, just 15 miles south of Gainesville. Prior to moving here, I was a USAF Officer in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

I was born in NJ, went to college in Nashua, NH.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone and hopefully I'll have something to contribute to the conversations.
Hello Jennifer, welcome to the site.

1) Check all about UBER on this site. Just go to the top right (search) and type the following topics.

a) Insurance b) Earnings with Uber c) Taxes d) Accidents with Uber

Drivers have posted all about UBER on this site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts