Uber Drivers Forum banner

New driver for Irvine, CA

Tags
irvine
3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  uber strike 
#1 ·
Hi, this is my first post

I plan on being a full time driver in Irvine. About 40hours a week.

Has anyone had experience in irvine and near UCI? If so, can you please share your experience.

Also Im willing to take any type of advice. Thank you.

#4 ·
Turn on your app at home, wait for first ping and go from there. You will travel all over the place, maybe even a ride to LA or SD. Once drop off, park somewhere safe and wait for next ping. Dont go driving around, you will usually get another ping within 10-15 mins. If not, then drive to different location.

Do OC for a few days to see if you can reach your daily goal. Then do LA to see if you can make more money there.

Good luck and be safe.

#5 ·
Turn on your app at home, wait for first ping and go from there. You will travel all over the place, maybe even a ride to LA or SD. Once drop off, park somewhere safe and wait for next ping. Dont go driving around, you will usually get another ping within 10-15 mins. If not, then drive to different location.

Do OC for a few days to see if you can reach your daily goal. Then do LA to see if you can make more money there.

Good luck and be safe.
Dang my first day I got a ride to JWA then straight to LAX this was like my second ride....

Ever since that every day I drove I had at least two trips to LAX I drove here in OC but always ended up In LA county but never really stayed out there I don't really know the city and I was already getting in jams with the stupid GPS missed JWA exit PAX was pissed on my first ride....

#7 ·
If you want to drive in the OC, I suggest you sign up for Lyft. The rates are slightly better than Uber's and of course there's that tipping option.

IMO, I'd stay away from UCI. The students are never where they drop their pin, some don't practice good hygiene and you better believe you won't be traveling longer than 3 miles but it will take you 12 to 15 minutes because of traffic.

#14 ·
I know my first day I didn't want to stick around so I'd go and come back to OC I quickly realized my flawed method... So the following times I'd end up in LAX I'd just leave the lax area, usually get ppl going to South Bay galleria or long beach so then I'd go back to Huntington Beach and someway or another go back to LAX at some point. I haven't drive. In weeks and I drove 15-20 a week for 3 weeks so I'm really new to this but it's not rocket science.

#10 ·

Has anyone had experience in irvine and near UCI? If so, can you please share your experience.

Prepare to visit many different cities. Cities you've never thought you'd ever be in :D

#12 ·
OMG...I could imagine.... So, my boyfriend is coming out with a couple of things, could you put this one box (80lb desk in a box) in the back while we wait for him? He comes out with a ton of other Ikea junk to stuff in your Uber as well...including the chair in-a-box to go with the desk. : o

They go 1.2 miles to their sweet new home.....

:eek:

#13 ·

First I would check the map for surge areas and times.....surge sucks at the minute.....you may find you need to drive a couple of 3-4 hour shifts a day to maximize profit (surge). There are a few good spots in OC....be patient when you drop off.
For the minute...accept all pings to get your feet wet, read this forum...take the good advise...and pretty soon you will be ready for surge only driving...make more drive less.
OC dynamics change at the end of the month....tourist season.
I assumed you drive X only...one piece of advise...never accept a ride going past the 605 unless you are on at least 2x surge. You'll get stuck with cesspool rides in LA county...app off Lyft on..destination filter back to OC.
Get your feet wet....good luck....Be Safe.

#17 ·

First of all I don't understand why you are going to drive full time for Uber, you like many of us might have your reasons but if it is because someone made you believe that you can make a living driving for Uber 40 hours you are about to find that it is not true. If you get a job for IN & Out you will get a little more than minimum wage, benefits, paid vacation workers comp and the opportunity to move up. Also they will not make you pay for operating expenses such as meat, bread and the grill.
In contrast, Uber does not pay even minimum wage and you have to pay for all the operating expenses such as gas, vehicle insurance etc.. if you hurt your self picking up luggage, good luck, there is no workers comp. If you want to get promoted being an independent contractor they will help you by deactivating you.
As far as Irvine goes you can be sure that you will NOT receive absolutely any tips, expect your distance to pick up to be an average of 2 to 3 miles. If you go to UCI, expect many pins in the wrong location and most of the passengers will make you wait just enough so you cannot cancel and get the fee. Another thing about UCI is that most trips will take about 15 minutes of your time between traveling to the pick up, waiting and driving to the destination so you will get $2.15.
I hope I have been of help to you.
Sad but true.

#25 ·
Driving at night, you want to be extra careful and stay under the radar. Once drop off in a residential area, park on the street or find a dark area. Dim your phone and turn off the engine. Remember to have your finger ready on the auto door lock button. Look at your surrounding and make sure everything is clear. If there are people around then dont park there. Recline your seat and rest for the next ping. People will never see you in the darkness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.