Uber Drivers Forum banner

Do you drive in Chicago?

• No.

• Yes, for Lyft

• Yes, for Uber

• Yes, for Uber and Lyft

• I study business; the first thing I learned was to mind my own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving for Lyft for about 2.5 weeks... I've got 60 rides with a 5.0 rating. I've been driving for Uber for 2 weeks, with 60 rides and a 4.82 rating. Anyway, I'd just like to connect with other drivers in Chicago. We can exchange tips, break together, or what.

Ultimately, I'd like to push this as far as I can to see how much one could actually net doing this. I've come up with a few tactics that make it slightly easier for me to strategically make more money than I otherwise would, but it's not an exact science.

I haven't been doing this long but my cousins' been doing it for 6 months or so, I think he has over 7 or 800 rides. He just drives for Uber, but I'm pretty sure his rating is 4.91. He drives UberX and UberXL. I only drive UberX and Lyft (not-plus)... He gave me good advice when I started which is the only reason I have ratings where I do. Anyway, just looking to network. If you're in Chicago and interested, reply. If not, all good. Drive on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JimmyJames welcome to the forum!

Please read your Partnership Agreement. New Drivers have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.
If it violates my due process, the opt-out of binding arbitration agreement could be unconstitutional. They can modify the terms of their agreement all day long and decide to end partnerships based on it, but they can't legislate laws or limit due process or violate any rights I may or may not have (within reason and barring exceptions) this is usually true. I don't have time to read this through 'again' ;-) at this time, but will later. It looks like an attempt to argue that any changes made after 30 days won't change the fact that it's a partnership agreement in fact, even if it begin to look like an agreement between a company and an employee; partners have 30 days to opt-out or agree that they are partners without dispute. Well, quite frankly, it's not something we determine either way it's something labor law and the IRS determine. Uber probably just doesn't want it's drivers to strike. Idk though. I would really have to spend time reading it to have something legitimate to say about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Another Chicago driver here. Been doing this for 1.5 years now. In the process of switching to uber black now. Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks, I appreciate your response C-U. Congratulations on making the move to Uber Black, ultimately I'd like to move into that direction as well. For the time being, however, I'd like to develop some best practices when it comes to revenue over operating coats.

One thing I quickly realized is how different Uber and lyft are from te traditional taxi model. Taxis drive around a lot burning up fuel because picking up riders who hadn't yet requested a cab or Uber is still a large portion of their income, soliciting potential patrons... Neither Uber not Lyft benefit burning their fuel trying to fish their cars through the traffic stream like bait less hooks... At least I don't find it beneficial for my bottom line.

So I usually find a place and park... When I get a request I head out there. If it's in the city, I park an wait again. If it's somewhere more remote I'll make my decision based on the area. I'm not sure this is the best tactic... I know a few drivers who B line back to the origin of the ride because it's buzzing, or they think it is... But like I said, doing that with UberX seems to cut into my bottom line and depreciate my ROI. Maybe it's different with XL, idk. Any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been driving for Lyft for about 2.5 weeks... I've got 60 rides with a 5.0 rating. I've been driving for Uber for 2 weeks, with 60 rides and a 4.82 rating. Anyway, I'd just like to connect with other drivers in Chicago. We can exchange tips, break together, or what.

Ultimately, I'd like to push this as far as I can to see how much one could actually net doing this. I've come up with a few tactics that make it slightly easier for me to strategically make more money than I otherwise would, but it's not an exact science.

I haven't been doing this long but my cousins' been doing it for 6 months or so, I think he has over 7 or 800 rides. He just drives for Uber, but I'm pretty sure his rating is 4.91. He drives UberX and UberXL. I only drive UberX and Lyft (not-plus)... He gave me good advice when I started which is the only reason I have ratings where I do. Anyway, just looking to network. If you're in Chicago and interested, reply. If not, all good. Drive on.
What was the good advice?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
If it violates my due process, the opt-out of binding arbitration agreement could be unconstitutional. They can modify the terms of their agreement all day long and decide to end partnerships based on it, but they can't legislate laws or limit due process or violate any rights I may or may not have (within reason and barring exceptions) this is usually true. I don't have time to read this through 'again' ;-) at this time, but will later. It looks like an attempt to argue that any changes made after 30 days won't change the fact that it's a partnership agreement in fact, even if it begin to look like an agreement between a company and an employee; partners have 30 days to opt-out or agree that they are partners without dispute. Well, quite frankly, it's not something we determine either way it's something labor law and the IRS determine. Uber probably just doesn't want it's drivers to strike. Idk though. I would really have to spend time reading it to have something legitimate to say about it.
Nicely put with respect to where you stand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was the good advice?
He already complete about 250 rides by the time I started. He didn't initially provide water or candy, he wasn't as courteous as a concierge and his primary mission was getting quantitative and self-serving. He told me he went as low as 4.5 (never receiving a warning from Uber), but made his primary objective a qualitative experience that serves the riders before he serves himself. After more than a thousand rides his cumulative is 4.91... Or at least it was when he told me last week. He can be full of shit like anyone else sometimes, but he texted me a pic, probably to peacock more than anything else, but nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate your response C-U. Congratulations on making the move to Uber Black, ultimately I'd like to move into that direction as well. For the time being, however, I'd like to develop some best practices when it comes to revenue over operating coats.

One thing I quickly realized is how different Uber and lyft are from te traditional taxi model. Taxis drive around a lot burning up fuel because picking up riders who hadn't yet requested a cab or Uber is still a large portion of their income, soliciting potential patrons... Neither Uber not Lyft benefit burning their fuel trying to fish their cars through the traffic stream like bait less hooks... At least I don't find it beneficial for my bottom line.

So I usually find a place and park... When I get a request I head out there. If it's in the city, I park an wait again. If it's somewhere more remote I'll make my decision based on the area. I'm not sure this is the best tactic... I know a few drivers who B line back to the origin of the ride because it's buzzing, or they think it is... But like I said, doing that with UberX seems to cut into my bottom line and depreciate my ROI. Maybe it's different with XL, idk. Any advice? Thanks.
Generally, taxis do not just drive around burning fuel. That is kept to a minimum whenever possible. In NYC, taxis may only be hailed on the street. In Chicago, they may do a bit of cruising, I would assume most drivers keep that to a minimum. I know in my little podunk town I only cruise for flags if there is one on every corner. Otherwise, we have phone people taking calls. that being said, I sure a hell have seen Uber drivers cruising town lap after lap, I assume mostly out of boredom and in an effort to create an edge of some kind, mostly, they either aren't thinking or thinking too hard at that point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My main point was merely that taxi drivers have considerably more reason to burn a bit more fuel in order to get to locations across Chicago where people have displayed a propensity to hail a cab, as riders aren't required to be dispatched to them as the Uber app dispatches every rider to the Uber driver. That being said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a number of ridesharing drivers burn a great deal more fuel whether it's because their bored or tilting their wheels towards the Surge paint on the Uber map.

Cab drivers, beyond their advantage of picking up at the airport also have the ability to wait in taxi lines at hotels which makes a ride for them an inevitable consequence of being a cab driver. Instead of competing for these fares as one might perceive U drivers, taxis make a coordinated effort ensuring their ability to thrive in the uncertain eyes cast on the new horizon of the on-demand transportation application.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

I would like to get together with other drivers asap

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I drive around at 27.4 miles per gallon. I have over 500 rides in 31 days and a 4.72 rating. I've tried gum, candy. Not sure how to do water.
I've had many back to back rides, but I like to keep moving. I have a few hot spots and a few routes that have been productive.
I work 2-3 hours til midnight and 4-6 hours after midnight. They are are my normal awake hours for a decade.
I am also a cash income 4 evenings a week.

When using the map to navigate, I get a "Bab Request" error when I arrive at the pick up point, before I have ended the trip in the Uber App.
Customer sees it and it could effect my rating. I would have to see where the bulk of the "fail" votes came in.
The error messages have been going on for last 3 days. The 500 OK message stopped last night.

I guess I'm in it for the quick money. Downloading and using the app raised my credit score.
I get compliments on the music choices. Right now it's the Joint on XM 42.
It's reggae lately. It's just different than the pop music of the last 50 years.

You could get the gasbuddy app so you'll be able to find the cheapest gas.
Only other advice or help I give is getting your house in order by putting
your living expenses on paper so you can see it. This included getting your credit score up.

I'll think about meetups with other driver's in a few months. Other pressing issues need my attention.

Good Luck in your new venture...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drive around at 27.4 miles per gallon. I have over 500 rides in 31 days and a 4.72 rating. I've tried gum, candy. Not sure how to do water.
I've had many back to back rides, but I like to keep moving. I have a few hot spots and a few routes that have been productive.
I work 2-3 hours til midnight and 4-6 hours after midnight. They are are my normal awake hours for a decade.
I am also a cash income 4 evenings a week.

When using the map to navigate, I get a "Bab Request" error when I arrive at the pick up point, before I have ended the trip in the Uber App.
Customer sees it and it could effect my rating. I would have to see where the bulk of the "fail" votes came in.
The error messages have been going on for last 3 days. The 500 OK message stopped last night.

I guess I'm in it for the quick money. Downloading and using the app raised my credit score.
I get compliments on the music choices. Right now it's the Joint on XM 42.
It's reggae lately. It's just different than the pop music of the last 50 years.

You could get the gasbuddy app so you'll be able to find the cheapest gas.
Only other advice or help I give is getting your house in order by putting
your living expenses on paper so you can see it. This included getting your credit score up.

I'll think about meetups with other driver's in a few months. Other pressing issues need my attention.

Good Luck in your new venture...
I think a 4.72 is a good rating for your first 31 days... Today is my 17th or 18th day driving for Uber and I have a couple hundred rides. I still have a 4.83 but my second week was brutal. I didn't do anything differently but my passengers gave me a number of 4s after taking hand fulls of candy while doubly fisting the water bottles. I don't know. I'm not sure there's a science to it. Wednesdays during the day seem to be when I get my toughest critics. Normally my car is supposed to get 28mpg on the highway and 25mpg in the city but that's not what I'm getting. I've been averaging 23.4 mpg, which isn't too bad but would be a great deal worse if I didn't employ the driving strategy I do. I try to hit at least 15 rides a day, but hitting that number is usually contingent upon whether I've been getting long or short distance rides. In also aware of the fact that I can't please everyone and that there are a number I people I find characteristically unpleasing. Nevertheless, their customers so I treat them with respect. I've only been disrespected once, by a rider and I kicked his ass out of my car. I don't think this situation is a common one, but the only thing I regret about it is not kicking him out sooner. That being said, I did it in a direct non-disrespectful way which is apparent in the fact that doing this didn't stop him from reaching into his pocket and extending me a tip despite the fact that I planted him on a curb.

I've been driving with lift just a few days longer, but have about 80% as many rides. I still, however, have been able to maintain a 5 star rating there. All this being said, I haven't even been doing this for a month yet so I'm sure I'll learn a great deal more as time goes on; I'll probably learn more than anything else that I know a great deal less than I think I do now. I don't know what the best strategies or tactics are, I just know to me the most important thing is to keep my app on and for as long as I can and to keep driving....

I don't have a set schedule like most drivers I've talked to. I don't hae a shift preference, although I think devisig a number of routines to discover which ones at which times are the most profitable is the smartest an most measurable way to determine the highest rate of profitability. My life at the moment is just a bit too chaotic or I'm a bit to neurotic to stick to a plan. My methods change every day, which is probably why my daily rate fluctuates as much as it does, but I really couldn't say for sure. It might be like that no matter what.. Oh, and unlike every other Uber driver I've ever met, I've never had an attractive passenger invite me into her place or ask me to have a threesome with one of her hot sorority sisters, so there's obviously a lot that I'm still doing wrong. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts