Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to wait for plates/registration sticker to start driving? I drove for a little while about 2 years ago, but leaned very quickly that an F150 wasn't a good Uber vehicle. I just traded the truck in for a car that gets much better mileage so I want to get back into driving on the side. The dealership said it would be about a month before I get my permanent plates and registration sticker. Is there any way to drive before then, and if so, can I get the vehicle inspection and DFW sticker before I get the plates?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Do I have to wait for plates/registration sticker to start driving? I drove for a little while about 2 years ago, but leaned very quickly that an F150 wasn't a good Uber vehicle. I just traded the truck in for a car that gets much better mileage so I want to get back into driving on the side. The dealership said it would be about a month before I get my permanent plates and registration sticker. Is there any way to drive before then, and if so, can I get the vehicle inspection and DFW sticker before I get the plates?
I've been picked up by two different drivers with temp plates. Somehow they did it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Any idea about the Dallas vehicle permit or DFW permits? I have a driver permit (although I am waiting for a replacement).

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
hit the road and make tons of money. I made couple of million dollar and quit driving last year. Now it's ur turn to make that money. good luck, they are eyeing ur new car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hit the road and make tons of money. I made couple of million dollar and quit driving last year. Now it's ur turn to make that money. good luck, they are eyeing ur new car.
I realize Uber is not a fortune making machine for the drivers, although I appreciate your humor. I just want something to do other than sit around on my time off, and if I can make a little spare cash I'm happy.

p.s. I guess I didn't make it clear, this is not a new car, just new to me.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
If its not a new car then you will need to get a city inspection before they issue a car permit - you might get a temp sticker at the uber office though. You can then go get the DFW permit.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
When I bought a new car, I asked for a Uber vehicle inspection from the dealer prior to signing on the dotted line. They gave me the completed and signed inspection form, which I took over to the Uber office, and obtained my orange sticker that mostly stays hidden where nobody can see it. I noted the form is shorter than it used to be.

Uber's rep at the office told me that DFW permits probably wouldn't be issued on a temporary tag, but I never confirmed this. The Dallas vehicle permit, though, was very easy to get.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got both based on temp plates. At DFW, they will set your tag expiration to the expiration date of the temp plates, so you have to go get another one when your plates come in. Make sure to take all your paperwork with you, and make sure the car shows as "active" with the temp plate number on your Uber app, or DFW will not issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts