Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://rydengo.com/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcr...engo-gets-ready-to-take-on-lyft-and-uber/amp/
RydenGo gets ready to take on Lyft and Uber
Posted 1 hour ago by Kristen Hall-Geisler (@kristenhg)

RydenGo is cooking up a new model for ride hailing. Rather than taking a commission, RydenGo will charge drivers a flat $20 per month subscription fee. The driver keeps the fare they charge and any tips they earn.

The fare is key to RydenGo's model. When a user requests a ride via app, drivers in the area respond with a rate for the ride that they set themselves rather than having rates set by the company. The user can then choose which ride to accept.

RydenGo also hopes to improve safety in ride hailing by using a four-digit verification code to lessen the chances that a passenger will get into the wrong vehicle. The company conducts the usual background checks on drivers, and they require verification with a RydenGo representative in person or via phone. It also promises to conduct random background checks on drivers "if necessary as determined by its internal security monitoring system," according to a press release.

It's free (for now) for drivers to sign up for the beta program that's already in place in nearly two dozen US cities. Founder Michael Pappas hopes to have the service, which is based in Newport Beach, CA, up and running this fall. Pappas told the LA Times that he comes from a pro-union background and believes that a company can be profitable without exploiting its workers.

There are other facets of ride sharing and car sharing in the works at RydenGo once the basics are in place, like a social function for arranging carpools and a "playground" where you can hire, say, a vintage fire truck for an event. As Pappas said in the press release, "Why can't changing the world be fun?"

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
RydenGo will charge drivers a flat $20 per month subscription fee. The driver keeps the fare they charge and any tips they earn.
There are other facets of ride sharing like a social function for arranging carpools and a "playground" where you can hire, say, a vintage fire truck for an event.
At $20/month I'm guessing everyone is on their own with commercial insurance and is going to find out what a real $1 million commercial policy really cost.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/alderman-wants-uber-lyft-vehicles-to-have-illuminated-signs/

RydenGo is cooking up a new model for ride hailing. Rather than taking a commission, RydenGo will charge drivers a flat $20 per month subscription fee. The driver keeps the fare they charge and any tips they earn.

The fare is key to RydenGo's model. When a user requests a ride via app, drivers in the area respond with a rate for the ride that they set themselves rather than having rates set by the company. The user can then choose which ride to accept.

RydenGo also hopes to improve safety in ride hailing by using a four-digit verification code to lessen the chances that a passenger will get into the wrong vehicle. The company conducts the usual background checks on drivers, and they require verification with a RydenGo representative in person or via phone. It also promises to conduct random background checks on drivers "if necessary as determined by its internal security monitoring system," according to a press release.

It's free (for now) for drivers to sign up for the beta program that's already in place in nearly two dozen US cities. Founder Michael Pappas hopes to have the service, which is based in Newport Beach, CA, up and running this fall. Pappas told the LA Times that he comes from a pro-union background and believes that a company can be profitable without exploiting its workers.

There are other facets of ride sharing and car sharing in the works at RydenGo once the basics are in place, like a social function for arranging carpools and a "playground" where you can hire, say, a vintage fire truck for an event. As Pappas said in the press release, "Why can't changing the world be fun?"
Yea, take FUber and Let-Down-Lyft DOWN -- both horrible, POS companies!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts

FEATURED IMAGE: RYDENGO

So this is Sidecar Mk. II, except that they'll be charging drivers less than Sidecar did.

Sounds like a winning idea to me!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Well drivers should encourage more competition amongst ride share companies. If we want to see change from Uber and Lyft, the best way to get it is to have them compete for our services as drivers. The message is beginning to resonate at Uber and Lyft as they are actually doing driver outreach and making statements about doing better. I admit that talk is cheap but at least it is starting. My brother and I just got invited to participate in an Uber driver council in NYC. We have participated in a few Lyft Driver Councils. I am curious if any other drivers have received similar invitations.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I cannot imagine that investors did not address and plan for the insurance solution before putting their money into this new venture. VCs are not that stupid. They may be heartless, but not stupid.

Reactions: CTridz

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
It's going to be very limited unless you are in a huge metro area because people are not going to even know about it.

Some areas don't even have Lyft.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Except Sidecar failed because people didn't like seeing different rates from different drivers. It's too much of a hassle comparison shopping for a stupid taxi ride. People want to click a button and get a ride. I know as a consumer I would never bother with it...
I hear your point about the model being cumbersome. However, all new players should be encouraged by the driver community as it will force Uber and Lyft to do more to attract and retain quality drivers. One model that could work is to ask drivers for a minimum rate per mile or ten min period that they are willing to work for and only match you with passengers who are willing to pay your rate for a competent driver with a clean safe car. Either way I think drivers should give any new player a shot as it will only make this a better business to be in.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
This is why I think the states need to step in a regulate the pricing for rideshare companies similar to what cabs charge. That way there's no confusion and companies can't unfairly undercut their competitors in this highly regulated industry.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
At $20/month I'm guessing everyone is on their own with commercial insurance and is going to find out what a real $1 million commercial policy really cost.
Don't confuse 'business use' coverage (rideshare insurance) with 'commercial coverage' (livery insurance).
If your state allows rideshare/business use coverage (as Ohio does) than it only costs about $400/yr for rideshare liability coverage by adding an endorsement to your personal auto liability policy. A $1mil Umbrella liability policy is also very inexpensive (and highly recommended). As you note, carrying your own commercial livery insurance is much more expensive - anywhere from $2,500/yr to over $10,000/yr.

So....let's think about this.....
Uber charges $1.15 a mile. Ryde guy charges $1.50 a mile. Wonder who the pax will go with.........
The RydenGO driver charging more than Lyft/Uber won't get any rides.
The RydenGO driver charging the same or a bit less than Uber/Lyft will get rides - and make more money.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
I recieved what I consider to be an inappropriate PM from SibeRescueBrian on April 8, 2017.
Because of that PM, this comment is currently under edit.
The owner of uberpeople.net should be aware of this over-reach from SibeRescueBrian,
as this edit of my content contribution is the direct result of the PM I recieved.
Check back soon for edit updates while this content is updated.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Don't confuse 'business use' coverage (rideshare insurance) with 'commercial coverage' (livery insurance).
If your state allows rideshare/business use coverage (as Ohio does) than it only costs about $400/yr for rideshare liability coverage by adding an endorsement to your personal auto liability policy. A $1mil Umbrella liability policy is also very inexpensive (and highly recommended). As you note, carrying your own commercial livery insurance is much more expensive - anywhere from $2,500/yr to over $10,000/yr.

The RydenGO driver charging the same or a bit less than Uber/Lyft will get rides - and make more money.
You definitely don't have to tell me not to confuse business use and passenger for hire. Rideshare is passenger for hire. James River covers 100% of liability the moment you accept a ping. Business use is what a salesman does when he travels from customer to customer or what a pizza delivery boy uses or when a construction worker is told to use his personal vehicle to run to the store and get ice for the water cooler. Once your intent is to transport paying passengers you are a commercial carrier.
That period 1 rideshare endorsement on most policies is basically BS.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

That's my point. Remember Sidecar? As for charging less......guess what? You just became Uber. And if the rates now are unsustainable without incentives, then a lower rate with out the help of Uber or Lyft will simply collapse out the door. So, it achieves nothing in the face of the main question.....how do you get rates to go up? Right now there is only one way, and no one is working that option. But let's look at one more aspect of this......surge.

So, BART goes down. Are the Ryde drivers going to be accused of gouging when they raise their rates? Will we hear about Ryde drivers extorting higher fares from people in desperate situations?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. But it's the same system with out the subsidiary.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
How will cheap mooch millennials choose RydenGo over Uber and Lyft if their only incentive is pool and line cheap rides?
All rideshare drivers would have to quit Uber/Lyft at the same time and have RydenGo as the only alternative to get a ride for this to work.
I think that there is a marketplace for quality ride share out there where people will pay a bit more. In talking to passengers all of them have encountered the scary Uber driver with the smell of weed and crap in the car who cannot speak English and doesn't know what he is doing or where he is going. I think passengers will pay more for a better quality driver and car and a safe and professional ride experience. It's a question of how the ride share company promotes it to them. This is basic business marketing strategy. Look at Starbucks versus Dunkin Donuts.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
If your state allows rideshare/business use coverage (as Ohio does) than it only costs about $400/yr for rideshare liability coverage by.
Your state may say one thing, but it's your insurance company that matters. I will guarantee that if you're found to be transporting passengers for hire then no legit insurance company will cover you without a valid commercial policy.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts